PANAJI: The excise department has suspended licences of 50 liquor outlets in the state including bars, retailers and wholesale dealers. Speaking to TOI, excise commissioner Sandeep Jacques said the department acted as per inspections carried out by the two flying squads set up for the election period in the two districts of the state. "Some of the outlets were not maintaining their accounts.
Others were staying open well past their stipulated timing," Jacques said.
The flying squads comprise an assistant commissioner of excise, a deputy superintendent of police, a deputy conservator of forests and an assistant motor vehicle inspector from the transport department. Till Friday, the recently set up squad reported 33 outlets flouting the rules. "The figure touched 50 on Saturday evening," Jacques said."All 50 outlets have been issued show cause notices as to why their licences should not be cancelled," the excise commissioner said. Jacques refuted reports that the excise department was harassing liquor wholesale dealers, who resorted to a shutdown. "There is absolutely no truth in it. Those who have shut down have done so voluntarily." TOI had reported last week that liquor trader association members admitted that the decision to shut down was taken voluntarily and not in protest of any harassment by the excise department.Smuggling of booze within Goa?With illegal liquor consignments from Goa seized in other states, the state excise department says the trend could see a reverse. "With the tightening of the noose around the illegal transportation and sale of liquor, attempts will be made to smuggle liquor in the state," excise commissioner Jacques said. "We are maintaining a vigil to catch any clandestine activity. And if any are caught, they will face action," he added.