This story is from May 12, 2019
TNHB order to R Nallakannu to vacate house triggers outrage
CHENNAI: An ‘oral order’ from the Tamil Nadu Housing Board, asking veteran communist leader R Nallakannu and the family of former minister P Kakkan to vacate the board’s houses in CIT Nagar, T Nagar, has triggered outrage, with political parties condemning the state government’s “lack of sensitivity.” Nallakannu who had been staying with his daughter in the house on CIT Nagar First Main Road for 12 years vacated it on Friday, while Kakkan’s family one of his sons, his wife and their children awaits the state’s intervention.
Late on Saturday evening, as condemnation poured in from all quarters, deputy chief minister O Panneerselvam called up 94-year-old Nallakannu and informed him about a “possible” policy decision on alternative accommodation. Earlier, senior TNHB officials called on Nallakannu at his new house and pointed to the election code of conduct for their inability to make any ‘offer’. "They told me to vacate but did not issue a formal notice. I left on my own before the May 15 deadline. But look at how Kakkan’s family is being treated," he told TOI. The officials also met Kakkan’s family, explaining the difficulties in providing housing as “others would demand a similar gesture.”
In 2011, a committee of experts including from Anna University declared the TNHB buildings in CIT Nagar unsuitable for occupation in 2011. “These houses were constructed in 1960s. We issued notices to the occupants in 2011 and 2014 to vacate them citing the dilapidated status,” an official said. The occupants then moved the Madras high court and Supreme Court before a verdict came in favour of the TNHB last month.
DMK president M K Stalin said allotment of TNHB houses was made as a mark of respect to politicians. “As an opposition leader, I urge the state to immediately allot him [Nallakannu] a house without causing any crisis,” he said. AMMK leader TTV Dhinakaran said asking Kakkan’s family to vacate the house allotted by former chief minister M G Ramachandran “has only proven that EPS and his government lack respect for sacrifice.”
TNCC chief K S Alagiri said the two leaders had sacrificed a lot for the country’s freedom and for the state’s welfare. “Now they lose their houses as well. The government should have acted with responsibility. Even now it can provide accommodation within 24 hours.”
TNHB sources said that of the 119 occupants, 83, including Nallakannu volunteered to vacate the houses each of which currently draws rent of Rs 2,500 to Rs 3,700.
Late on Saturday evening, as condemnation poured in from all quarters, deputy chief minister O Panneerselvam called up 94-year-old Nallakannu and informed him about a “possible” policy decision on alternative accommodation. Earlier, senior TNHB officials called on Nallakannu at his new house and pointed to the election code of conduct for their inability to make any ‘offer’. "They told me to vacate but did not issue a formal notice. I left on my own before the May 15 deadline. But look at how Kakkan’s family is being treated," he told TOI. The officials also met Kakkan’s family, explaining the difficulties in providing housing as “others would demand a similar gesture.”
DMK president M K Stalin said allotment of TNHB houses was made as a mark of respect to politicians. “As an opposition leader, I urge the state to immediately allot him [Nallakannu] a house without causing any crisis,” he said. AMMK leader TTV Dhinakaran said asking Kakkan’s family to vacate the house allotted by former chief minister M G Ramachandran “has only proven that EPS and his government lack respect for sacrifice.”
TNCC chief K S Alagiri said the two leaders had sacrificed a lot for the country’s freedom and for the state’s welfare. “Now they lose their houses as well. The government should have acted with responsibility. Even now it can provide accommodation within 24 hours.”
You Can Also Check: Chennai AQI
|
Bank Holidays in Chennai |
Gold Rate Today in Chennai |
Silver Rate Today in Chennai
Top Comment
M
Mk
2480 days ago
Why the outrage now. The order was passed 8 years ago. They kost the case 3 months ago. Even he has vacated quietly. Why are the sick commies and rowdy dmk making this an issue.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- 'Deenbandhu shot me': 18-year-old bride shot on wedding stage during garland exchange in Bihar; critical
- ‘Papa, main chaurahe par tha’: Bhopal man dies after speeding Thar rams car in Goa; locals allege seat swap to shield accused
- Delhi court directs cricketer Shikhar Dhawan’s ex-wife to return Rs 5.7cr
- Assam woman dragged out of car, gang-raped in front of fiancé; gang robbed couple of Rs 10,000
- Foam found around mouth, CPR failed: Former Jharkhand CM Champai Soren’s grandson found dead in Manali hotel room
end of article
Trending Stories
03:19 ‘Papa, main chaurahe par tha’: Bhopal man dies after speeding Thar rams car in Goa; locals allege seat swap to shield accused- The Bride Of Charlie: Candace Owens sparks rift with Erika Kirk exposé; only Matt Walsh speaks out
- T20 WC, Super 8: Sri Lanka win toss, opt to field first against NZ in must win game
- 'Galti se ho gaya': Son's flippant reply on why he shot father, chopped up body — watch
- C.J. Gardner-Johnson's car collection: Hyundai and Maybach add glam to the star safety’s luxury garage
- CTET Answer Key 2026 Live Updates: CBSE to release answer keys soon, check latest updates here
- Tourist Dies In Goa Crash: Bhopal man killed as SUV rams car; witnesses allege seat switch attempt
Featured in city
03:19 ‘Papa, main chaurahe par tha’: Bhopal man dies after speeding Thar rams car in Goa; locals allege seat swap to shield accused- IndiGo chaos: Over 200 passengers made to wait 5 hours inside flight at Chennai airport
- Former Jharkhand CM Champai Soren's grandson dies under mysterious circumstances in Manali
- Bride Shot At Wedding: 18-year-old attacked during ceremony in Buxar; police hunt for accused
- ‘Forced to read religious books, told to marry Muslim men’: How 2 sisters and their gang ran rape-conversion racket
- Delhi court directs cricketer Shikhar Dhawan’s ex-wife to return Rs 5.7cr
Photostories
- From 'Paa' to 'Kalki 2898 AD': 12 performances that prove Amitabh Bachchan is Bollywood’s ultimate chameleon
- 10 interesting ways to pack basi roti for school or office tiffin
- 5 ultra-luxury SUVs designed for effortless long-distance touring
- 5 best wildlife experiences that prove Rajasthan is more than forts and palaces
- A style journey from 'Ishq Vishk' to 'O Romeo': Shahid Kapoor's most memorable looks through the years
- Across the Silk Route in 22 Days: This luxury train covers five nations; itinerary and cost details
- Ancient Indian royal and commoner clothing: What set them apart?
- 'Ramayana' to 'The Odyssey': The most anticipated mythological epics arriving in 2026
- From Jason Sanjay to Akira Nandan: New generation of South star kids who moved behind the camera
- 5 ancient cities buried by nature and natural disaster — Can you visit them today?
Videos
03:01 PM Modi’s Israel Menu Revealed: From Gujarati Dishes to Local Delights03:27 London-Based Indian Eatery Shuts Down After Owner Blames Pakistani Threats And Diaspora Tensions15:59 'Rahul Gandhi A Puppet Of...': Piyush Goyal Launches Sharp Attack On Congress Over US Trade Deal Row04:00 Before AMCA, India’s First Stealth Aircraft Could Be Russian Su-5703:19 Bhopal Tourist Killed In Goa SUV Crash, Family Injured, Video Surfaces Online09:46 Arunachal Racial Abuse Case: Accused Woman Arrested, Husband Apologises; Rijiju Vows Strict Action05:42 'Biggest Mistake Young People Make...': OpenAI CEO Sam Altman Shares Blunt Take On AI At IIT Delhi03:17 ‘We were seconds away’: Navy veteran recalls top-secret Kargil deployment04:10 Indian Navy Move That Put Pakistan Under Economic Siege In 1999
Up Next