Odisha horror: 12-year-old madrasa boy raped, strangled, body dumped in tank; 5 teens detained

A 12-year-old madrasa student in Nayagarh, Odisha, was sexually assaulted and killed by five classmates aged 13–15. His body was found in a septic tank after CCTV footage and confessions revealed months of abuse and coercion. Police have detained the juveniles and are investigating the madrasa, assuring the victim’s family of legal support and steps to safeguard other students.
Odisha horror: 12-year-old madrasa boy raped, strangled, body dumped in tank; 5 teens detained
Representative Image
BHUBANESWAR: The investigation into the recent death of a 12-year-old madrasa student in Odisha’s Nayagarh district has uncovered horrific details with the police on Sunday disclosing that he was sodomised by some fellow students before being murdered. Five juveniles, aged between 13 and 15, have been detained on charges of committing the heinous offence and sent to the juvenile detention centre at Angul. “We found strong evidence against the five children in conflict with law (CCL) of the same madrasa. Two of the CCL forced the victim to indulge in unnatural sex with them. When he threatened to lodge a complaint, the five CCL strangled him to death and dumped his body in a septic tank,” Nayagarh additional superintendent of police, Subash Chandra Panda, told TOI. The boy was reported missing on September 2 and his body was found in the abandoned septic tank near the Madrasa the following day. CCTV footage revealed the five students allegedly leading the victim to a secluded area, where they were last seen together. “During questioning, the detained CCL confessed to the crime. The main accused, a 15-year-old, had been coercing the victim into an unnatural relationship for several months.
The victim, fearing humiliation, did not report the abuse to madrasa or police authorities, nor his family,” ASP Panda said. Here's what happenedOn August 31, the main accused allegedly attempted to kill the victim by throwing him into the septic tank. On September 2, the situation escalated, leading to the victim's tragic death. “On the fateful day, two of the CCL sexually assaulted the boy. The two accompanied by three others later strangled the victim and disposed of his body in the tank after he threatened to report the abuse,” the ASP said, adding that the five juveniles behaved normally after committing the alleged offence, ostensibly to dodge the police attention. The madrasa authorities were unavailable for comment. Police said the madrasa, which currently has 16 students aged 12 to 15, along with three teaching staff and a cook, is cooperating with the investigation. The victim had been enrolled in the institute since last year. “We have asked the madrasas to ensure the safety and well-being of all students. The victim's family will be provided support as per law,” another police official said.

author
About the Author
Debabrata Mohapatra

Debabrata Mohapatra is an Assistant Editor at The Times of India, Bhubaneswar. He had been writing for TOI from Puri since 2006 before joining the Bhubaneswar bureau in August 2010. He covers crime, law & order and Congress.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media