BENGALURU: Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday indicated that investigation into IAS officer D K Ravi's death would be handed over to the CBI.
He said the state government's stand on this would be announced in the legislative assembly on Monday.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh had on Friday said the Karnataka chief minister had been asked to hand over the officer's death probe to the CBI from CID.
But there had been no confirmation from the state government. Under fire from all quarters with the state bureaucrats also demanding for one, Siddaramaiah has been compelled to refer the case to the CBI.
Ravi posted as additional commissioner, commercial taxes (enforcement), was found dead in his apartment on March 16.
Siddaramaiah justified giving the case to the CID. "How do you say the CID is not investigating? It is also an independent body. Besides Pronab Mohanty, who is conducting the inquiry, has worked in the CBI earlier. We have to look into the morale of the state police force too,'' Siddaramaiah said.
The chief minister dismissed reports that Congress president Sonia Gandhi had asked him to refer the case to the CBI.
"Madam has not instructed me to do this or that. She told me I am giving you a free hand, take your own decision,'' he claimed
Siddaramaiah was compelled to meet Ravi's parents after they took him by surprise by staging a dharna outside the secretariat.
He said he had told them that any decision to ask the CBI to step in would be taken following the CID's report.
"The CID's interim report will be tabled in the assembly on Monday and the next stand will be announced,'' he added.
"I am making it clear that the government is not going to protect any person or hide anything. Whatever statements the opposition parties are making are politically motivated.''
The BJP has decided to keep up the pressure on the CM for a CBI probe and will stage a dharna in Bengaluru on Sunday.