US district court backs Trump on $100K H-1B entry-fee, citing broad immigration powers
A US district court judge has upheld President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a $100,000 entry-fee on new H-1B visa workers hired from outside the US, delivering a significant legal win to the administration’s assertion of broad executive authority over immigration.
In an order issued on Tuesday night, Judge Beryl A. Howell, of the Columbia district court, rejected a legal challenge brought by the US Chamber of Commerce, holding that the proclamation fell squarely within powers granted to the President under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The court denied the business lobby’s request to block the fee and granted a summary judgment in favour of the Trump administration.
Trump had announced the steep levy through a September 19 proclamation, triggering sharp concern among businesses that rely on foreign talent for specialised roles.
The Chamber had argued that the new fee is unlawful because it overrides provisions of the INA that govern the H-1B program, including the requirement that fees be based on the costs incurred by the government in processing visas. It had also pointed out that the administrative procedures such as a public notice and inviting public comments had been bypassed.
Rejecting those claims, Judge Howell said the Trump administration had met the conditions necessary to invoke statutory authority allowing the President to restrict entry of foreign nationals deemed detrimental to US interests. “The lawfulness of the Proclamation and its implementation rests on a straightforward reading of congressional statutes giving the President broad authority to regulate entry into the United States for immigrants and nonimmigrants alike,” her order stated.
The Judge added that disputes over the policy’s wisdom lay outside the court’s remit. “So long as the actions dictated by the policy decision and articulated in the Proclamation fit within the confines of the law, the Proclamation must be upheld,” Judge Howell said.
Following the proclamation, in Oct federal immigration agencies had issued a clarification diluting the impact to an extent. The clarification provided that fee would apply only to new H-1B petitions filed for workers hired from abroad, and not to existing H-1B employees or foreign students already in the US who transition to H-1B status from within the US.
In response to the verdict, Daryl Joseffer, Executive Vice President and Chief Counsel of the US Chamber of Commerce, issued a statement, “The $100,000 fee makes H-1B visas cost prohibitive for businesses, especially small- and medium-sized businesses that can least afford it. We are disappointed in the court’s decision and are considering further legal options to ensure that the H-1B visa program can operate as Congress intended: to enable American businesses of all sizes to access the global talent they need to grow their operations.”
The lawsuit was one of the three filed against the entry-fee. Global Nurse Force with a coalition of US healthcare providers, educational institutions and others was the first to challenge the entry-fee by filing a law suit in the US District Court (Northern District of California). More recently, California and Massachusetts Attorneys General Rob Bonta and Andrea Joy Campbell, respectively, led a group of 20 Democratic‑led states in filing a law suit challenging this fee. Immigration attorneys state that all is not lost, especially since these other cases have different grounds of arguments.
Get a chance to win ₹5000 Amazon Voucher by taking part in India's Biggest Habit Index! Take the survey here
Trump had announced the steep levy through a September 19 proclamation, triggering sharp concern among businesses that rely on foreign talent for specialised roles.
The Chamber had argued that the new fee is unlawful because it overrides provisions of the INA that govern the H-1B program, including the requirement that fees be based on the costs incurred by the government in processing visas. It had also pointed out that the administrative procedures such as a public notice and inviting public comments had been bypassed.
Rejecting those claims, Judge Howell said the Trump administration had met the conditions necessary to invoke statutory authority allowing the President to restrict entry of foreign nationals deemed detrimental to US interests. “The lawfulness of the Proclamation and its implementation rests on a straightforward reading of congressional statutes giving the President broad authority to regulate entry into the United States for immigrants and nonimmigrants alike,” her order stated.
The Judge added that disputes over the policy’s wisdom lay outside the court’s remit. “So long as the actions dictated by the policy decision and articulated in the Proclamation fit within the confines of the law, the Proclamation must be upheld,” Judge Howell said.
In response to the verdict, Daryl Joseffer, Executive Vice President and Chief Counsel of the US Chamber of Commerce, issued a statement, “The $100,000 fee makes H-1B visas cost prohibitive for businesses, especially small- and medium-sized businesses that can least afford it. We are disappointed in the court’s decision and are considering further legal options to ensure that the H-1B visa program can operate as Congress intended: to enable American businesses of all sizes to access the global talent they need to grow their operations.”
The lawsuit was one of the three filed against the entry-fee. Global Nurse Force with a coalition of US healthcare providers, educational institutions and others was the first to challenge the entry-fee by filing a law suit in the US District Court (Northern District of California). More recently, California and Massachusetts Attorneys General Rob Bonta and Andrea Joy Campbell, respectively, led a group of 20 Democratic‑led states in filing a law suit challenging this fee. Immigration attorneys state that all is not lost, especially since these other cases have different grounds of arguments.
Get a chance to win ₹5000 Amazon Voucher by taking part in India's Biggest Habit Index! Take the survey here
Popular from Business
- Defining moment: India overtakes Japan to become world's fourth largest economy; enjoys ‘Goldilocks’ phase with high growth, low inflation
- No more subsidy for electric three-wheelers: Govt meets target; ends relief
- Vande Bharat sleeper clocks 180 kmph! Ashwini Vaishnaw shares video of train’s ‘water test’; watch
- PAN-Aadhaar link status: How to check if your PAN is linked to Aadhaar, what to do if it’s not & what happens if you miss December 31, 2025 deadline?
- Flight chaos continues: IndiGo cancels over 50 flights due to 'forecasted bad weather'; Air India issues advisory
end of article
Trending Stories
- Body shrunk, dark room and more: How couple's greed for property turned UP home into 5-year prison for retired railway clerk, his daughter
- Alex Rodriguez and Jaclyn Cordeiro combined net worth in 2025: Inside the former MLB star and fitness coach’s wealth, earnings, and love story
- Justin Thomas’s net worth 2025: The rise of an American professional who dominated the PGA Tour
- Who is Khushi Mukherjee? Reality TV actor who claimed Suryakumar Yadav 'used to message me'
- “You don’t have to do this”: Stefon Diggs’ accuser alleges his "girlfriend" tried to stop her from reporting incident while Cardi B stays distant
- Bank holiday on New Year: Will banks remain closed on December 31, 2025 & January 1, 2026? Check state-wise list
- Athletes who died in 2025: Greg Biffle, George Foreman, Ricky Hatton and more
Featured in Business
- Bank holiday on New Year: Will banks remain closed on December 31, 2025 & January 1, 2026? Check state-wise list
- Stock market today: Nifty50 opens above 26,000; BSE Sensex up over 200 points
- Top stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for December 31, 2025 - check list
- Bulgaria readies to adopt the euro, nearly 20 years after joining EU
- The real deal: M&As to pick up pace; more value than volumes
- Chinese imports: India imposes 12% tariff on steel inflows; aims to curb cheap shipments with safeguards
Photostories
- TV child actors who changed careers later: Erik Per Sullivan, Angus T. Jones, Ben Hyland, and more
- 5 manifestations to do on January 1 for a wealthy and successful 2026
- 7 nutritious ways to add avocado to breakfast
- 8 beautiful succulents to brighten up your balcony garden
- Yearender 2025: 5 outfits that are perfect for your end-of-the-year events inspired by Bollywood actresses
- 5 new unexpected couples and major celebrity weddings of 2025
- Tracing the arc from ‘Sanam Teri Kasam’ through ‘Taish’ to ‘Dange’, Harshvardhan Rane’s growing stature
- 5 iconic New Year markets in the USA that keep the holiday magic alive for long!
- 3 reasons to consume Papaya smoothie and the right way to make it as per AIIMS doctor
- 10 types of Pasta dishes from around the world
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment