‘Unprecedented collaboration’: Donald Trump’s border czar Tom Homan announces withdrawal of 700 immigration agents in Minnesota
The Trump administration will withdraw around 700 federal immigration enforcement officers from Minnesota after state and local authorities agreed to increase cooperation with federal agencies, White House border czar Tom Homan said on Wednesday.
The move will reduce the federal presence in the state from roughly 3,000 officers to about 2,000, according to details shared by officials.
Announcing the decision at a news conference, Homan said the drawdown was prompted by what he described as “unprecedented collaboration” from local law enforcement agencies, particularly county sheriffs who operate jails.
“Given this increase in unprecedented collaboration, and as a result of the need for less public safety officers to do this work and a safer environment, I am announcing, effective immediately, we’ll draw down 700 people,” Homan said, as per news agency AP.
Homan had earlier indicated that a reduction in federal agents would only be considered if Minnesota officials cooperated with immigration authorities, especially by transferring arrested immigrants to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody.
He reiterated that approach on Wednesday, arguing that cooperation through jails reduces the need for agents to conduct arrests in public spaces.
“I push for jails to alert ICE to inmates who could be deported,” Homan said, adding that such transfers are safer for both officers and the public.
He also said that, in his view, the immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota had been effective. “I just listed a bunch of people we took off the streets of the Twin Cities, so I think it’s very effective as far as public safety goes,” he said.
The large-scale federal deployment in and around Minneapolis and St Paul has triggered weeks of protests, with tensions escalating after the killing of protester Alex Pretti.
Pretti’s death marked the second fatal shooting by federal officers in Minneapolis during the recent enforcement operations. Two US citizens were killed by federal agents amid the protests, intensifying criticism of the administration’s approach, according to Reuters.
Minnesota, which is governed by Democrats, has filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over the surge in immigration enforcement personnel, arguing that the deployment has destabilised communities and undermined local authority.
The White House has repeatedly blamed so-called “sanctuary jurisdictions” for hindering the arrest and deportation of undocumented immigrants.
Cities such as Minneapolis limit cooperation with federal immigration authorities, prohibiting local officials from asking about immigration status or assisting with enforcement, citing public safety concerns. Local leaders argue that such policies encourage migrants to report crimes without fear of deportation.
Despite the partial withdrawal, Homan stressed that the administration’s broader immigration agenda remains unchanged.
“Let me be clear, President Trump fully intends to achieve mass deportations during this administration, and immigration enforcement actions will continue every day throughout this country,” he said, according to Reuters.
He added that the decision to reduce the number of agents in Minnesota does not signal a shift in policy but reflects tactical adjustments based on local cooperation.
Federal officials said enforcement operations will continue across the state, with about 2,000 agents remaining in place, even as discussions with local authorities over jail cooperation and custody transfers continue.
Announcing the decision at a news conference, Homan said the drawdown was prompted by what he described as “unprecedented collaboration” from local law enforcement agencies, particularly county sheriffs who operate jails.
“Given this increase in unprecedented collaboration, and as a result of the need for less public safety officers to do this work and a safer environment, I am announcing, effective immediately, we’ll draw down 700 people,” Homan said, as per news agency AP.
Cooperation linked to reduced deployment
Homan had earlier indicated that a reduction in federal agents would only be considered if Minnesota officials cooperated with immigration authorities, especially by transferring arrested immigrants to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody.
“I push for jails to alert ICE to inmates who could be deported,” Homan said, adding that such transfers are safer for both officers and the public.
He also said that, in his view, the immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota had been effective. “I just listed a bunch of people we took off the streets of the Twin Cities, so I think it’s very effective as far as public safety goes,” he said.
Protests and fatalities raise tensions
The large-scale federal deployment in and around Minneapolis and St Paul has triggered weeks of protests, with tensions escalating after the killing of protester Alex Pretti.
Pretti’s death marked the second fatal shooting by federal officers in Minneapolis during the recent enforcement operations. Two US citizens were killed by federal agents amid the protests, intensifying criticism of the administration’s approach, according to Reuters.
Minnesota, which is governed by Democrats, has filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over the surge in immigration enforcement personnel, arguing that the deployment has destabilised communities and undermined local authority.
Sanctuary policies and ongoing enforcement
The White House has repeatedly blamed so-called “sanctuary jurisdictions” for hindering the arrest and deportation of undocumented immigrants.
Cities such as Minneapolis limit cooperation with federal immigration authorities, prohibiting local officials from asking about immigration status or assisting with enforcement, citing public safety concerns. Local leaders argue that such policies encourage migrants to report crimes without fear of deportation.
Despite the partial withdrawal, Homan stressed that the administration’s broader immigration agenda remains unchanged.
“Let me be clear, President Trump fully intends to achieve mass deportations during this administration, and immigration enforcement actions will continue every day throughout this country,” he said, according to Reuters.
He added that the decision to reduce the number of agents in Minnesota does not signal a shift in policy but reflects tactical adjustments based on local cooperation.
Federal officials said enforcement operations will continue across the state, with about 2,000 agents remaining in place, even as discussions with local authorities over jail cooperation and custody transfers continue.
Popular from World
- 'Hard to understand': Indian CEO says his US visa for an investor meeting got rejected for no reason
- Scientists find a 2,400-year-old flush toilet in China showing how advanced ancient life was
- 75-country Green Card freeze: US announces adoption waiver in new update
- ‘Hired green card, US citizen drivers’: Sikh truck company owner after losing employees as California revoked thousands of licences
- 'Getting out of India such a big deal': Woman celebrating UK visa approval gets hate online; 'We will make deportation parties'
end of article
Trending Stories
- IND vs SA T20 WC Warm Up: Ishan Kishan retires out after scoring fifty
- U19 WC Semi-Final: Aaron George slams century; India inch closer to win vs Afghanistan
- When do 2026 Winter Olympics start? Olympics full schedule, early events get underway in Milan Cortina
- UGC NET December Result 2025 Live Updates: Scorecard expected today at ugcnet.nta.nic.in; what candidates should know
- No rituals, no marriage: Supreme Court says certificate can’t replace Hindu ceremonies
- ‘As good as Don Bradman’: The tragic life of batting prodigy Archie Jackson who died aged 23
- Kindness in motion: Elderly B’luru couple donate microvan to govt school in Karnataka
Featured in world
- What happened to India-hater MAGA influencer Elijah Schaffer? Conspiracy theories abound over deleted posts on wife, kids, FBI
- 'Getting out of India such a big deal': Woman celebrating UK visa approval gets hate online; 'We will make deportation parties'
- 'Made me look weak’: Minnesota protester Levy Armstrong on White House’s doctored arrest photo
- 'Could make good use of Noam’s advice': Noam Chomsky's wife asked Jeffrey Epstein to set up meeting with Donald Trump
- Art Basel Qatar opens in Doha: Breaks its own rules in the Gulf and the art world is watching
- Indian-origin man in New Jersey calls cops to brag about how he escaped a police chase, gets arrested
Photostories
- 5 most expensive buildings from across the world and why they cost so much
- Mumbai–Pune Expressway turns parking lot as vehicles remain stuck for 12 hours
- This Royal in Asia owns 7000 luxury vehicles including 500 Rolls-Royce, 450 Ferraris and 380 Bentleys
- Rosa Parks once said, “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up…”: 5 lessons it teaches students
- 10 regional potato dishes that are a must-try once in a lifetime
- 5 OTT hits of 2026 that created a massive buzz and had everyone talking
- Not just potato: 9 types of popular fillings that make samosa a true food lover's delight
- Gaming addiction, school dropout, isolation: Key details in Ghaziabad-Loni sisters’ death case
- Bengaluru plans 800-metre flyover to decongest Iblur Junction; ORR travel time to drop
- Is your rice real? Simple home checks for “plastic rice” and 5 recipes to try
Videos
09:37 Limitless Nukes, World War III? What Happens Next As Trump, Putin Say Goodbye To Only Nuclear Deal07:51 USS Lincoln Repositioned? Report Claims American Warship Retreats 1400 KM From Iran's Chabahar06:23 Pressley Torches ICE As ‘Public Terror’ Force After Renee Good Killing, Demands Jail Time For Agents06:34 ‘Don’t Just Hound Clinton!’: Rep. Garcia Attacks Republicans For ‘Saving’ Trump From Epstein Probe08:02 Rep. Comer PUBLICLY Shows Bill Clinton’s Secret Photos With Epstein In Explosive House Hearing11:03 Putin, Powerful Ally Xi Throw Down Gauntlet As Kyiv Freezes | 'SPRING Season In Russia-China Ties'20:43 ‘STOP LYING TO MY FACE’: Comer Rains Fire On McGovern Over Clinton-Epstein Connection07:49 Melinda Gates ‘UNMASKS’ Ex-Husband Bill’s Epstein Ties After Viral Reports Of STD From Russian Girls10:27 'Answer Me About Survivors': Trump Explodes After CNN Brutally Grills Him On Epstein Files | WATCH
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment