Trump threatens military action in Diego Garcia to ‘reinforce US presence’: It’s India connection
US President Donald Trump has warned that the United States could take military action to secure and reinforce its presence at Diego Garcia if any future arrangement threatens access to the strategically vital joint US-UK military base, following the United Kingdom’s treaty with Mauritius over sovereignty of the Chagos Archipelago.
In a post on Truth Social on Thursday (local time), Trump said he had held “very productive discussions” with British prime minister Keir Starmer on the future of Diego Garcia, which hosts one of the most important US military installations in the Indian Ocean.
“If the lease deal, sometime in the future, ever falls apart, or anyone threatens or endangers US operations and forces at our Base, I retain the right to Militarily secure and reinforce the American presence in Diego Garcia,” Trump wrote.
Emphasising the base’s significance, Trump said Diego Garcia’s central location in the Indian Ocean made it critical to US national security and global military operations.
“It is the site of a major US Military Base, strategically situated in the middle of the Indian Ocean and, therefore, of great importance to the National Security of the United States,” he said, crediting recent US military successes to the strength of American warfighters, modern equipment and the global positioning of US bases, including Diego Garcia.
Trump also rejected what he described as attempts to undermine the US presence at the base, saying, “Let it be known that I will never allow our presence on a Base as important as this to ever be undermined or threatened by fake claims or environmental nonsense.”
Trump’s remarks refer to the UK-Mauritius Treaty signed in 2025, under which Mauritius exercises full sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago, while the UK retains rights to operate Diego Garcia for an initial 99-year lease.
The agreement includes long-term financial payments by the UK, with an option to extend the lease by a further 50 years, according to public estimates cited by Reuters.
While acknowledging that Prime Minister Starmer had negotiated “the best deal he could make” under the circumstances, Trump’s comments underline continued concerns in Washington over the long-term implications of the arrangement.
The warning marks a slight shift from Trump’s earlier criticism of the deal. In January, he described the UK’s decision to transfer sovereignty as an act of “great stupidity” and “total weakness”, arguing it could invite strategic attention from rivals such as China and Russia.
Downing Street has confirmed that Trump and Starmer discussed Diego Garcia during a recent call. “The leaders recognized its strategic importance,” a No 10 spokeswoman said, adding that both governments agreed to continue working closely to guarantee the future operation of the base, Reuters reported.
Washington has described Diego Garcia as an “all but indispensable platform” for military operations across the Middle East, South Asia and East Africa. The base supports long-range bomber missions, logistics, intelligence collection and military communications, and hosts around 2,500 US military and civilian personnel.
It has been used in US operations ranging from Afghanistan and Iraq to more recent deployments, including the stationing of nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit bombers amid air operations targeting Yemen’s Houthi rebels. The US has also acknowledged that the base was previously used for secret flights transporting terror suspects.
India has quietly encouraged the return of sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago to Mauritius, aligning with its broader strategic interests in the Indian Ocean and its concerns over China’s growing footprint in the region.
New Delhi’s position is shaped not only by contemporary security considerations but also by historical experience. The US decision to establish a full-scale military base on Diego Garcia was taken during the Richard Nixon administration, which had backed Pakistan during the 1971 India-Pakistan war, revealed in several papers declassified later cited by the national security archives of George Washington University. At the time, Washington dispatched the 7th fleet of its navy, including the USS Enterprise, into the Bay of Bengal in a move widely seen as an attempt to pressure India.
India, backed by the then Soviet Union, proceeded with military operations that led to the creation of Bangladesh, ahead of the arrival of the US carrier group.
More recently, India has deepened its engagement with Mauritius. In September last year, New Delhi announced a $680 million economic assistance package, comprising grants and lines of credit, to support development projects in the island nation. The assistance also includes support for monitoring the marine protected area around the Chagos Archipelago, according to ANI.
The current 99-year lease arrangement between the UK and Mauritius ensures continued US access to the Diego Garcia base while preserving Mauritian sovereignty. However, any move by the US to assume direct control over the Chagos Archipelago would strip Mauritius of ownership, rendering existing agreements – including India’s $680 million assistance package – automatically void. Such a development could complicate India’s strategic and economic interests in the Indian Ocean region.
Trump’s stance contrasts with that of the Biden administration, which had welcomed the UK-Mauritius agreement as a diplomatic solution to a long-standing sovereignty dispute while preserving military access.
The deal has drawn criticism within the UK as well, with the Conservative Party arguing it weakens Britain’s strategic position and risks straining security ties with Washington. Mauritius, meanwhile, has said its sovereignty over the islands is “unequivocally recognized” under international law and has called for swift implementation of the treaty.
“If the lease deal, sometime in the future, ever falls apart, or anyone threatens or endangers US operations and forces at our Base, I retain the right to Militarily secure and reinforce the American presence in Diego Garcia,” Trump wrote.
Strategic importance to US national security
Emphasising the base’s significance, Trump said Diego Garcia’s central location in the Indian Ocean made it critical to US national security and global military operations.
“It is the site of a major US Military Base, strategically situated in the middle of the Indian Ocean and, therefore, of great importance to the National Security of the United States,” he said, crediting recent US military successes to the strength of American warfighters, modern equipment and the global positioning of US bases, including Diego Garcia.
Trump also rejected what he described as attempts to undermine the US presence at the base, saying, “Let it be known that I will never allow our presence on a Base as important as this to ever be undermined or threatened by fake claims or environmental nonsense.”
UK-Mauritius treaty and lease arrangement
Trump’s remarks refer to the UK-Mauritius Treaty signed in 2025, under which Mauritius exercises full sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago, while the UK retains rights to operate Diego Garcia for an initial 99-year lease.
The agreement includes long-term financial payments by the UK, with an option to extend the lease by a further 50 years, according to public estimates cited by Reuters.
While acknowledging that Prime Minister Starmer had negotiated “the best deal he could make” under the circumstances, Trump’s comments underline continued concerns in Washington over the long-term implications of the arrangement.
Shift in tone, but concerns remain
The warning marks a slight shift from Trump’s earlier criticism of the deal. In January, he described the UK’s decision to transfer sovereignty as an act of “great stupidity” and “total weakness”, arguing it could invite strategic attention from rivals such as China and Russia.
Downing Street has confirmed that Trump and Starmer discussed Diego Garcia during a recent call. “The leaders recognized its strategic importance,” a No 10 spokeswoman said, adding that both governments agreed to continue working closely to guarantee the future operation of the base, Reuters reported.
Why Diego Garcia matters
Washington has described Diego Garcia as an “all but indispensable platform” for military operations across the Middle East, South Asia and East Africa. The base supports long-range bomber missions, logistics, intelligence collection and military communications, and hosts around 2,500 US military and civilian personnel.
It has been used in US operations ranging from Afghanistan and Iraq to more recent deployments, including the stationing of nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit bombers amid air operations targeting Yemen’s Houthi rebels. The US has also acknowledged that the base was previously used for secret flights transporting terror suspects.
How will US control of Chagos affect India?
India has quietly encouraged the return of sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago to Mauritius, aligning with its broader strategic interests in the Indian Ocean and its concerns over China’s growing footprint in the region.
New Delhi’s position is shaped not only by contemporary security considerations but also by historical experience. The US decision to establish a full-scale military base on Diego Garcia was taken during the Richard Nixon administration, which had backed Pakistan during the 1971 India-Pakistan war, revealed in several papers declassified later cited by the national security archives of George Washington University. At the time, Washington dispatched the 7th fleet of its navy, including the USS Enterprise, into the Bay of Bengal in a move widely seen as an attempt to pressure India.
India, backed by the then Soviet Union, proceeded with military operations that led to the creation of Bangladesh, ahead of the arrival of the US carrier group.
More recently, India has deepened its engagement with Mauritius. In September last year, New Delhi announced a $680 million economic assistance package, comprising grants and lines of credit, to support development projects in the island nation. The assistance also includes support for monitoring the marine protected area around the Chagos Archipelago, according to ANI.
The current 99-year lease arrangement between the UK and Mauritius ensures continued US access to the Diego Garcia base while preserving Mauritian sovereignty. However, any move by the US to assume direct control over the Chagos Archipelago would strip Mauritius of ownership, rendering existing agreements – including India’s $680 million assistance package – automatically void. Such a development could complicate India’s strategic and economic interests in the Indian Ocean region.
Trump’s stance contrasts with that of the Biden administration, which had welcomed the UK-Mauritius agreement as a diplomatic solution to a long-standing sovereignty dispute while preserving military access.
The deal has drawn criticism within the UK as well, with the Conservative Party arguing it weakens Britain’s strategic position and risks straining security ties with Washington. Mauritius, meanwhile, has said its sovereignty over the islands is “unequivocally recognized” under international law and has called for swift implementation of the treaty.
Top Comment
C
Christopher
9 hours ago
From New Zealand.....URGENT: USA must always contol the Chaos Island and Diego Garcia....our future survivial depends on it . Action Now.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'Blew himself up after being stopped at gate': What we know about Pakistan suicide bomb blast
- ‘No limits, no transparency, no controls’: US accuses China of covert nuclear tests as New START expires
- H-1B visa fee is here to stay: Immigration attorney says employees should hire through L-1 visa to bypass $100K
- Nick Fuentes says he can eat butter chicken but not what JD Vance wants him to: 'Save it for your Indian festival'
- Epstein’s deathbed will: Who stood to inherit multimillion-dollar fortune, and what about the victims?
end of article
Trending Stories
- Milwaukee Bucks vs Indiana Pacers (02-06-2026) game preview: When and where to watch, expected lineup, injury report, prediction, and more
- When was the last New England Patriots Super Bowl win? A look back at their most recent title
- “I felt terrible”: Olympian Chloe Kim opens up about the darkest days of her life amid romance with Myles Garrett
- How a single vote cost Drake Maye the NFL MVP to Matthew Stafford
- Pariksha Pe Charcha 2026 Live: What are the number of registrations?
- India beat England by 100 runs to clinch record sixth U-19 World Cup title
- “I don’t know about that”: Cooper DeJean finally addresses Nikki Bella dating buzz after viral WWE Raw moment in Philadelphia
Featured in world
- UAE makes historic Winter Olympics debut at Milan-Cortina 2026
- UAE weather forecast: Morning mist, humidity and rain expected this week
09:59 'Consequences are very steep': Trump gives update on US-Iran talks; follows it with stark warning- ‘Harvard is woke, we are not’: US to cut ties, end military training and fellowships with Ivy League giant
- 'Didn't make a mistake': Trump refuses to apologise for video depicting Obamas as monkeys
- Violent anti-govt protests return to Dhaka, this time against Yunus
Photostories
- Top 10 iconic Japanese fast foods you need to try at least once
- 7 must-try winter street foods in Chandigarh
- Upcoming OTT releases for this week: 'Kohrra Season 2', 'The Lincoln Lawyer Season 4,' and more
- Top luxury trekking motorbikes in 2026: Premium rides for rugged adventures
- India’s major snow-fed rivers: Waterways that have shaped India’s landscape
- 7 irresistible mutton dishes from Jammu and Kashmir that are a must-try in winter
- What happens if the builder does not follow the RERA order?
- 5 national parks in India that are a part of iconic elephant reserves
- 9 things you should avoid buying on Saturday, according to tradition
- 5 things we should never take back from a beach trip
Videos
06:32 'Steep Consequences': Trump Warns Iran Of Action Despite First Round Of Nuclear Talks08:51 ON CAM: Epstein Chases Two Women In Island Kitchen;DOJ Drops Disturbing Video Of Disgraced Financier09:59 ON CAM: Iranian Military Base On Fire; Smoke Rises Over Tehran As Trump Threatens Action | WATCH04:37 Meloni Roasts Vance On Cam After 'Italian' Claim; 'You Don't Know What The Joke Is All About'10:13 Trump Breaks Silence On Obama 'Ape' Video; 'No Regrets' | Refuses Apology Despite GOP Fury | WATCH15:48 Gulf Power Shift? MBZ 'SNUBS' MBS; UAE Firms Pull Back From Saudi World Defence Show09:47 'Not Vassals Of Trump & Elon Musk': Spain's Deputy PM Makes Blistering Exit From 'Place Of Hate' X07:24 Trump 'STRIKES' Iran Minutes After Nuke Talks; US Slaps New Oil Sanctions, 14 Tankers Hit | Watch07:42 ‘WON’T GIVE UP’: Iran Cleric’s NUCLEAR Warning As Araghchi ‘Forces’ US To Keep Missiles Out Of Talks
Up Next