Not made in US? Trump’s ‘T1’ gold phones speculated to be made in China as MAGA supporters wait for delivery
Questions are mounting over whether hundreds of thousands of customers who paid deposits for the Trump Mobile “T1” phone last year will receive refunds, as Democratic lawmakers urge federal regulators to investigate the venture for possible consumer protection violations.
A group of Democratic lawmakers has asked the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to examine Trump Mobile, a phone business launched by President Donald Trump’s sons, Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump. The request centres on concerns that customers may have been misled after paying $100 deposits for a phone that was promised months ago but has yet to be delivered.
Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, along with 10 other Democratic members of Congress, sent a letter to the FTC questioning whether Trump Mobile engaged in deceptive advertising, or even fraud. The lawmakers specifically raised concerns over claims that the T1 phone would be “Made in the USA”, a description that has since been quietly removed from the company’s website.
Less than a month after the product launch in June, references to US manufacturing disappeared and were replaced with the phrase “American-proud design”.
The lawmakers also asked whether consumers were misled into paying deposits for a product that has not materialised.
NBC News placed a $100 deposit in August to track the phone’s progress. In October, customer service staff promised a ship date of November 13, which passed without delivery. A later update blamed delays on the government shutdown. This week, another operator said the phone was now expected to ship “sometime in Q1 2026”, claiming it was “in the final stages of certification and field testing”.
In their letter, lawmakers urged the FTC to investigate “bait-and-switch tactics involving deposits for products never delivered”. They added that the agency’s response would be a test of its independence and commitment to “protecting the public from deceptive or unfair business practices”.
Online criticism has intensified. California governor Gavin Newsom’s office posted on X and called MAGA journalists to investigate the matter: "We call on Nick Shirley, Benny Johnson, and Nick Sortor — who some say are the greatest investigators of our time — to use their powers of journalism to investigate this rampant fraud being perpetrated upon the American people!"
Ron Filipkowski also wrote that “600,000 suckers pre-ordered Trump Mobile phones which were supposed to be made in the US and delivered in September”, adding that customers still do not have their phones and are receiving conflicting explanations. Social media started speculating that the phone is being manufactured in China.
Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, along with 10 other Democratic members of Congress, sent a letter to the FTC questioning whether Trump Mobile engaged in deceptive advertising, or even fraud. The lawmakers specifically raised concerns over claims that the T1 phone would be “Made in the USA”, a description that has since been quietly removed from the company’s website.
Less than a month after the product launch in June, references to US manufacturing disappeared and were replaced with the phrase “American-proud design”.
The lawmakers also asked whether consumers were misled into paying deposits for a product that has not materialised.
NBC News placed a $100 deposit in August to track the phone’s progress. In October, customer service staff promised a ship date of November 13, which passed without delivery. A later update blamed delays on the government shutdown. This week, another operator said the phone was now expected to ship “sometime in Q1 2026”, claiming it was “in the final stages of certification and field testing”.
Ron Filipkowski also wrote that “600,000 suckers pre-ordered Trump Mobile phones which were supposed to be made in the US and delivered in September”, adding that customers still do not have their phones and are receiving conflicting explanations. Social media started speculating that the phone is being manufactured in China.
What is the Trump phone?
The Trump Mobile T1 gold smartphone is a $499 device first announced in June 2025 and marketed with a patriotic theme and wireless plans. Hundreds of thousands of customers paid a $100 deposit, but the phone has repeatedly missed launch deadlines and still has not shipped as of January 2026.Popular from World
- US troops return to Qatar base; Iran reopens airspace — is America stepping back from Tehran strike?
- Switzerland has built an underground world so vast that it competes with cities above
- From Venezuela to Iran: How America’s missile push is running into a solid rocket motor supply crisis -explained
- America in decline? Data shows even its poorest states now outperform most G7 economies
- Pakistanis in America highly affluent: South Asia expert questions Trump's visa freeze for 75 countries
end of article
Trending Stories
- MI vs UPW, WPL: Harleen Deol guides UP Warriorz to first victory of the season
- “I want to go home”: Tyreek Hill’s cryptic tweet sparks speculation among Falcons and Chiefs fans
- Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw confirms final World Baseball Classic appearance for Team USA
- Sherrone Moore’s termination letter cites violations of morality, public decency, and supervisor-employee relationships
04:44 BMC election result 2026: When and where to watch live counting - all you need to know- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. takes on new challenge with NASCAR Truck Series start at Daytona
- Memphis Grizzlies vs Orlando Magic (1-15-2026) game preview: When and where to watch, expected lineup, injury report, prediction, and more
Featured in world
- '5 businesses registered in one house': Viral video claims huge H-1B fraud, salaries over $100,000
- ‘Why am I paying taxes?’ Woman slams government over immigration, says child’s learning suffered due to non-English-speaking students
03:14 Two Pakistanis in New Jersey lied about citizenship, illegally voted in 2020 election- After 44 years in prison, man reacts to seeing iPhones and digital billboards for the first time
10:51 Trump warns of invoking Insurrection Act06:21 Is Charlie Kirk X-Man? Candace Owens sparks backlash with new claims about TPUSA founder
Photostories
- How to make South Indian Red Garlic Chutney at home
- One heart? Not enough! Meet 5 animals that go beyond
- Rare baby boy names from Indian mythology that still sound modern in 2026
- 14 traditional Gujarati mithais and desserts you must try
- Exclusive: From revealing the ‘most searched’ question about Shark Tank India on AI tools to advice for young entrepreneurs; Ritesh Agarwal’s candid revelations
- A festive style guide to the most beautiful types of parandis
- 5 mountain train journeys in India that prove slow travel is still magical
- How to make Restaurant-Style Garlic Chicken at Home
- Kriti Sanon, Priyanka Chopra, Shah Rukh Khan: Bollywood stars who turned entrepreneurs and built thriving brands
- 50,000 Bengaluru techies to benefit daily: Skywalk from Metro to ITPB opens tomorrow
Videos
09:19 Key NATO Leader Warns Military Alliance As Trump Presses Greenland Control06:39 Huge Strike Near Venezuela! US Forces Capture 6th Oil Tanker After Defying Trump's Order09:41 Trump Floats Insurrection Act As Minneapolis Protests Erupt After ICE Shootings08:03 Trump Aide SNAPS At Saudi, Qatar & Oman For Claiming To Pull US Back From Attack On Iran's Khamenei07:12 Zelensky's Days Numbered? Putin's 'Ukraine Running Out Of Time' ULTIMATUM As Trump Blames Kyiv07:44 Putin’s Men Encircle Ukrainian Troops, ‘Bloodbath’ On Front; Russia Claims Control Over 300 Sq Kms07:15 Putin FUMES As Trump's Threats Force NATO To Deploy Troops To Greenland | 'Stop Militarising...'09:07 After Putin & Xi, Saudi, NATO Nation 'Back' Khamenei; Trump Gets Chilling Warning Against Iran 'War'12:38 Trump ‘Wages War’ On Greenland, NATO Fires Back; France, Germany, Sweden, Norway Put Boots On Ground
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment