This story is from October 21, 2022
Jury: Film star Kevin Spacey didn't molest actor Anthony Rapp in 1986
NEW YORK: A jury sided with Kevin Spacey in one of the lawsuits that derailed the film star's career, finding he did not sexually abuse Anthony Rapp, then 14, while both were relatively unknown actors in Broadway plays in 1980s.
The verdict in the civil trial came with lightning speed. Jurors at a federal court in New York deliberated for a little more than an hour before deciding that Rapp hadn't proven his allegations.
When the verdict was read, Spacey dropped his head. Then he hugged lawyers and others before leaving the courtroom.
During the trial, Rapp had testified that Spacey invited him to his apartment for a party, then approached him in a bedroom after the other guests left. He said the actor, then 26, picked him up and briefly laid on top of him on a bed.
Rapp testified that he wriggled away and fled as an inebriated Spacey asked if he was sure he wanted to leave.
In his sometimes-tearful testimony, Spacey told the jury it never happened, and he never would have been attracted to someone who was 14.
The lawsuit sought USD 40 million in damages.
In his closing statements to the jury Thursday, Rapp's lawyer, Richard Steigman, accused Spacey of lying on the witness stand.
"He lacks credibility," Steigman said. "Sometimes the simple truth is the best. The simple truth is that this happened," he said.
Spacey's lawyer, Jennifer Keller, told jurors that Rapp made up the encounter and said they should reject Rapp's claims.
During her closing argument, she suggested reasons Rapp imagined the encounter with Spacey or made it up.
It was possible, she said, that Rapp invented it based on his experience performing in "Precious Sons," a play in which actor Ed Harris picks up Rapp's character and lays on top of him, mistaking him briefly for his wife before discovering it is his son.
She also suggested that Rapp later became jealous that Spacey became a megastar while Rapp had "smaller roles in small shows" after his breakthrough performance in Broadway's "Rent."
"So here we are today and Mr. Rapp is getting more attention from this trial than he has in his entire acting life," Keller said.
Rapp, 50, and Spacey, 63, each testified over several days at the three-week trial.
Rapp's claims, and those of others, abruptly interrupted what had been a soaring career for the two-time Academy Award winning actor, who lost his job on the Netflix series "House of Cards" and saw other opportunities dry up. Rapp is a regular on TV's "Star Trek: Discovery" and was part of the original Broadway cast of "Rent."
After jurors were sent away to deliberate, Keller drew sympathy from US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan when she complained that Steigman broke trial rules when he finished his summation by telling jurors that he hopes "you don't let him get away with it this time."
Kaplan had set rules that were meant to keep jurors from learning about sex abuse accusations made against Spacey that were not part of the trial evidence.
Keller called Steigman's statement "another clear, premeditated attempt to let the jury know" about other claims against Spacey.
"I'm very concerned," she added, saying it could affect the verdict.
Kaplan responded by saying Steigman's statement "shouldn't happen" and that if the jury ruled in Rapp's favor, attorneys may need to make written arguments over the issue. He also said that Rapp during his testimony should not have mentioned that there were other claims made against Spacey.
When the verdict was read, Spacey dropped his head. Then he hugged lawyers and others before leaving the courtroom.
During the trial, Rapp had testified that Spacey invited him to his apartment for a party, then approached him in a bedroom after the other guests left. He said the actor, then 26, picked him up and briefly laid on top of him on a bed.
Rapp testified that he wriggled away and fled as an inebriated Spacey asked if he was sure he wanted to leave.
In his sometimes-tearful testimony, Spacey told the jury it never happened, and he never would have been attracted to someone who was 14.
The lawsuit sought USD 40 million in damages.
"He lacks credibility," Steigman said. "Sometimes the simple truth is the best. The simple truth is that this happened," he said.
Spacey's lawyer, Jennifer Keller, told jurors that Rapp made up the encounter and said they should reject Rapp's claims.
During her closing argument, she suggested reasons Rapp imagined the encounter with Spacey or made it up.
It was possible, she said, that Rapp invented it based on his experience performing in "Precious Sons," a play in which actor Ed Harris picks up Rapp's character and lays on top of him, mistaking him briefly for his wife before discovering it is his son.
She also suggested that Rapp later became jealous that Spacey became a megastar while Rapp had "smaller roles in small shows" after his breakthrough performance in Broadway's "Rent."
"So here we are today and Mr. Rapp is getting more attention from this trial than he has in his entire acting life," Keller said.
Rapp, 50, and Spacey, 63, each testified over several days at the three-week trial.
Rapp's claims, and those of others, abruptly interrupted what had been a soaring career for the two-time Academy Award winning actor, who lost his job on the Netflix series "House of Cards" and saw other opportunities dry up. Rapp is a regular on TV's "Star Trek: Discovery" and was part of the original Broadway cast of "Rent."
After jurors were sent away to deliberate, Keller drew sympathy from US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan when she complained that Steigman broke trial rules when he finished his summation by telling jurors that he hopes "you don't let him get away with it this time."
Kaplan had set rules that were meant to keep jurors from learning about sex abuse accusations made against Spacey that were not part of the trial evidence.
Keller called Steigman's statement "another clear, premeditated attempt to let the jury know" about other claims against Spacey.
"I'm very concerned," she added, saying it could affect the verdict.
Kaplan responded by saying Steigman's statement "shouldn't happen" and that if the jury ruled in Rapp's favor, attorneys may need to make written arguments over the issue. He also said that Rapp during his testimony should not have mentioned that there were other claims made against Spacey.
Top Comment
Madmax
798 days ago
We can't judge who is truthful in between them. But may be the huge fame of Mr. Kevin Spacey helped him to some extent!!Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Pizza delivery worker stabs pregnant woman over $2 tip in Florida
- 26/11 mastermind and LeT's deputy leader Abdul Rehman Makki dies in Pakistan
- Canada ends flagpoling for work and study permits. What it means?
- Elon Musk’s ex-partner Grimes blasts anti-India sentiment, opens up about her Indian roots
- Laura Loomer calls for MAGA boycott after Elon Musk, Vivek Ramaswamy defend H-1B visas; X owner dismisses her as a ‘troll’
end of article
Trending Stories
- Manmohan Singh passes away Live Updates: Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi pay last respects to former PM Manmohan Singh
- Unnamed man in controversial viral video with Travis Hunter’s fiancée breaks silence, sparking cheating controversy
- Money Horoscope 2025: Zodiac Signs That Will Experience Financial Windfall
- Health Horoscope 2025: Vitality and Wellness Tips for Every Zodiac Sign
- 4th Test: India 164/5 at stumps, trail by 310 runs vs Australia at MCG
- “Couldn't relate”: Travis Kelce did not mince words when it came to his feelings on watching Taylor Swift's favourite movie Love Actually
- Gemstone Horoscope 2025: Stones that Align with Your Zodiac Sign for Success
Visual Stories
- How to make Masala Chicken Curry at home
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 10 easy-to-care-for beautiful freshwater fish for home aquariums
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- 10 rare animals found only in Asia
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT