Jury awards California prosecutor $3 million after she says she was forced out of her position
SAN DIEGO: A jury in California on Thursday awarded more than $3 million in damages to a former Orange County prosecutor who alleged the county's district attorney targeted her and forced her out of her position after she tried to protect women in the office from retaliation for accusing a supervisor of sexual harassment.
The verdict marks the end of a two-week trial in San Diego in which former district attorney supervisor Tracy Miller accused Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer and former Chief Assistant District Attorney Shawn Nelson of a laundry list of misconduct that she said the county did not reasonably respond to, the Orange County Register reported.
"She was thrilled the jury came back and recognized what happened to her," said Miller's attorney Bijan Darvish. "But also reliving everything brings back some of the emotional feelings she was feeling at the time."
The penalties awarded were for the former high-ranking prosecutor's future economic loss and emotional distress.
Miller sued the county, Spitzer and Nelson after she said she was essentially forced to leave her position in 2021. Spitzer and Nelson have denied these claims, while their attorney said Miller was not demoted and didn't lose pay or job duties.
Spitzer said in a statement that he respects the jury's decision but that when he became district attorney in 2019, he "inherited an office in chaos" and did the best he could given the many overwhelming issues they were facing.
"I am heartbroken over the fact that any of my actions could have been interpreted as anything other than a good faith effort to clean up the public corruption in the Orange County District Attorney's Office and to create a work ethic that adheres to what Orange County residents demand of its District Attorney," he said.
Miller accused Spitzer and Nelson of humiliating her, using "gender-based slurs," disrespecting her and undermining her authority.
She said the situation became especially contentious after she cooperated with the investigator looking into sexual harassment allegations against then-district attorney supervisor Gary Logalbo in 2020. She accused Nelson of speaking badly about the women who spoke out. She also said Spitzer attempted to get one of the women written up for accusing Logalbo, who was the best man at Spitzer's wedding.
Afterwards, Miller said Spitzer targeted her and criticized her for taking notes during executive meetings, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Spitzer and Nelson have denied these claims.
Logalbo, who died in 2021, was found to have harassed four female attorneys.
The county, Spitzer and Nelson are liable for the $3 million in damages.
Miller was also awarded $25,000 in punitive damages, less than the more than $300,000 requested by her attorney.
Tracey Kennedy, an attorney for the county, Spitzer and Nelson had argued against punitive damages beyond the $3 million, saying the verdict was enough.
"A public verdict sends the message," she said in court.
Darvish said in court on Thursday that Miller had long dreamed of being a prosecutor and had had that position taken from her. He also said that she had opened the door for future generations of female prosecutors.
"It wasn't an accident. It wasn't negligence. It was intentional," he said.
When Spitzer became district attorney, federal authorities were investigating allegations that county officials illegally used prisoners to try to get incriminating information from defendants awaiting trial. County authorities have repeatedly denied the existence of such an operation.
Miller, who had been a prosecutor for more than 20 years, was overseeing such important assignments as opioid litigation and the Huntington Beach oil spill, according to Spitzer.
"She was thrilled the jury came back and recognized what happened to her," said Miller's attorney Bijan Darvish. "But also reliving everything brings back some of the emotional feelings she was feeling at the time."
The penalties awarded were for the former high-ranking prosecutor's future economic loss and emotional distress.
Miller sued the county, Spitzer and Nelson after she said she was essentially forced to leave her position in 2021. Spitzer and Nelson have denied these claims, while their attorney said Miller was not demoted and didn't lose pay or job duties.
Spitzer said in a statement that he respects the jury's decision but that when he became district attorney in 2019, he "inherited an office in chaos" and did the best he could given the many overwhelming issues they were facing.
"I am heartbroken over the fact that any of my actions could have been interpreted as anything other than a good faith effort to clean up the public corruption in the Orange County District Attorney's Office and to create a work ethic that adheres to what Orange County residents demand of its District Attorney," he said.
She said the situation became especially contentious after she cooperated with the investigator looking into sexual harassment allegations against then-district attorney supervisor Gary Logalbo in 2020. She accused Nelson of speaking badly about the women who spoke out. She also said Spitzer attempted to get one of the women written up for accusing Logalbo, who was the best man at Spitzer's wedding.
Afterwards, Miller said Spitzer targeted her and criticized her for taking notes during executive meetings, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Spitzer and Nelson have denied these claims.
Logalbo, who died in 2021, was found to have harassed four female attorneys.
The county, Spitzer and Nelson are liable for the $3 million in damages.
Miller was also awarded $25,000 in punitive damages, less than the more than $300,000 requested by her attorney.
Tracey Kennedy, an attorney for the county, Spitzer and Nelson had argued against punitive damages beyond the $3 million, saying the verdict was enough.
"A public verdict sends the message," she said in court.
Darvish said in court on Thursday that Miller had long dreamed of being a prosecutor and had had that position taken from her. He also said that she had opened the door for future generations of female prosecutors.
"It wasn't an accident. It wasn't negligence. It was intentional," he said.
When Spitzer became district attorney, federal authorities were investigating allegations that county officials illegally used prisoners to try to get incriminating information from defendants awaiting trial. County authorities have repeatedly denied the existence of such an operation.
Miller, who had been a prosecutor for more than 20 years, was overseeing such important assignments as opioid litigation and the Huntington Beach oil spill, according to Spitzer.
Popular from World
- Pakistan's demand to chair 4 UN terror-related panels snubbed, finally given only one
- 'Riots, looters ... will be solved': Trump admin steps in; deploys 2,000 soldiers as protests against ICE raids escalate in LA- top developments
- 'These are Muslim values, these are Canadian values': PM Mark Carney trolled on social media for his Eid message
- 'Should do all it can': Pakistan delegation gets earful; US lawmaker tells Bilawal Bhutto to eliminate Jaish-e-Mohammad
- 22-year-old to lead DHS office: Trump picks ex-gardener Thomas Fugate to head prevention team; MAGA ties and little experience in security
end of article
Trending Stories
- Sidney Crosby and Kathy Leutner: Behind the private romance of the NHL legend and his long-time girlfriend
- 'They say they'll kill PM Modi's politics at G7': Canadian journalist flags Khalistani extremism; alleges free speech abuse
- 10,000 steps a day for weight loss: How 21 days of simple walking changed a fitness blogger’s life; here’s why you should try it too
- Money in the Bank 2025 results and highlights: Seth Rollins wins the men's MITB, John Cena loses and more
- 'I can't play as an Impact Player': Virat Kohli's powerful statement sparks speculation - was he taking a dig at someone?
- Wayne Gretzky sparks controversy by accusing Florida Panthers of buying success with tax loopholes
- World Sikh Organization condemns invitation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for G7 Summit
Featured in world
- Nepal’s new NOC rule for UAE travellers: How Indian expats lost Dh1,400 during trip
- WWE in the West Wing: How Elon Musk got beaten up by a gay banker; during Pride Month
- 'Turn back': Israel orders military to block 'antisemite' Greta Thunberg-led aid boat from reaching Gaza
- 'It made us all jump': Lightning hits California home as 6-year-old stands nearby; watch
03:04 'Great job': Trump hails National Guard for quelling LA protests; bans masks at stirs- 'Isolated event': US ambassador dismisses Canadian travel warning, denies widespread phone searches at border
Visual Stories
- 10 simple mind tricks to keep brain fog away
- 10 short books that will give the biggest lessons for 2025
- 8 types of mushroom and their benefits
- 10 forests in India to spot tigers in their natural habitat
- India’s 8 best tiger reserves for first-time safari goers
Photostories
- Shoaib Ibrahim visits newborn nephew's Aqeeqah; Saba Ibrahim talks to Dipika Kakar post her Liver Cancer surgery
- Honouring the Unsung: Bollywood legends we don’t talk about enough
- Why 'The Unequal Wedding' is termed as one of the saddest wedding portraits in history
- Scientists discover 34 million year old hidden river world buried under 2 km of Antarctic ice
- What happens when you add soaked chia seeds to fresh yoghurt?
- 10,000 steps a day for weight loss: How 21 days of simple walking changed a fitness blogger’s life; here’s why you should try it too
- Vitamin D deficiency: Early signs your body is begging for sunshine
- Prostate cancer: 10 symptoms you might mistake for something else
- 3 seeds that can boost hair growth almost instantly; Chia seeds are not on the list
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment