This story is from November 16, 2018
British Pakistani gang members jailed for 101 years for sexually abusing girls in UK
LONDON: Six British men of Pakistani origin were on Friday sentenced to a combined total of 101 years in prison for sexually grooming and abusing young girls in the northern England town of Rotherham.
Mohammed Imran Ali Akhtar, 37, Asif Ali, 33, Tanweer Ali, 37, Salah Ahmed El-Hakam, 39, Nabeel Kurshid, 35, Iqlak Yousaf, 34, and a seventh man who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been convicted after a trial at Sheffield Crown Court last month.
The offences relate to the abuse of five girls, one as young as 13, who were passed around to be sexually abused by multiple offenders. One of the victims told the trial how she had sex with "at least 100 Asian men" by the time she was 16, while another described being gang-raped in a forest.
"Each of the complainants in this case were groomed, coerced and intimidated. Each of them was groomed. Each of you, groomed. You can have been in no doubt that the complainants were vulnerable in the extreme," Judge Sarah Wright said during sentencing on Friday.
The convictions were the latest to come out of Operation Stovewood, the UK
The NCA found that Akhtar was the "ringleader" and he took the lead in befriending the girls before introducing them to his friends. They were plied with drugs and alcohol until they couldn't remember what was going on, and in some instances, were threatened with violence or being transported and abandoned in an unfamiliar location if they didn't comply with the sexual demands.
Sentencing Akhtar to serve 23 years behind bars, Judge Wright accused him of "cynical manipulation and exploitation" of the girls.
"They (victims) continue to suffer considerable trauma and will continue to suffer throughout their lives as a result of your actions," she added.
The other five men, Kurshid, Yousaf, Tanweer Ali, El-Hakam and Asif Ali, were sentenced to 19 years, 20 years, 14 years, 15 years and 10 years, respectively. The seventh man, known only as "X", will be sentenced at a later date.
Operation Stovewood Senior Investigating Officer Paul Williamson said, "The men who have been sentenced today preyed on vulnerable young girls for their own satisfaction. They used violence and intimidation and believed they were untouchable by law enforcement.
"Today, as they begin serving their sentences, I want to reassure the victims and survivors across Rotherham that the NCA and our partners are committed to bringing child sexual offenders to justice".
Mike Duffy, from the
There are currently 22 separate investigations under the Operation Stovewood umbrella, with 153 suspects identified and 300 complainants engaging with police officers.
Mohammed Imran Ali Akhtar, 37, Asif Ali, 33, Tanweer Ali, 37, Salah Ahmed El-Hakam, 39, Nabeel Kurshid, 35, Iqlak Yousaf, 34, and a seventh man who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been convicted after a trial at Sheffield Crown Court last month.
"Each of the complainants in this case were groomed, coerced and intimidated. Each of them was groomed. Each of you, groomed. You can have been in no doubt that the complainants were vulnerable in the extreme," Judge Sarah Wright said during sentencing on Friday.
The convictions were the latest to come out of Operation Stovewood, the UK
National Crime Agency
's (NCA) investigation intochild sexual exploitation
in Rotherham, which has identified more than 1,500 victims.Sentencing Akhtar to serve 23 years behind bars, Judge Wright accused him of "cynical manipulation and exploitation" of the girls.
"They (victims) continue to suffer considerable trauma and will continue to suffer throughout their lives as a result of your actions," she added.
The other five men, Kurshid, Yousaf, Tanweer Ali, El-Hakam and Asif Ali, were sentenced to 19 years, 20 years, 14 years, 15 years and 10 years, respectively. The seventh man, known only as "X", will be sentenced at a later date.
Operation Stovewood Senior Investigating Officer Paul Williamson said, "The men who have been sentenced today preyed on vulnerable young girls for their own satisfaction. They used violence and intimidation and believed they were untouchable by law enforcement.
"Today, as they begin serving their sentences, I want to reassure the victims and survivors across Rotherham that the NCA and our partners are committed to bringing child sexual offenders to justice".
Mike Duffy, from the
Crown Prosecution Service
(CPS), said, "These men deliberately preyed on young, vulnerable teenagers, grooming and exploiting them. They denied the abuse but evidence put forward by the CPS, including the victims' accounts of the incidents, resulted in the jury finding them guilty. I would like to thank the victims who came forward and bravely supported this prosecution".There are currently 22 separate investigations under the Operation Stovewood umbrella, with 153 suspects identified and 300 complainants engaging with police officers.
Top Comment
Dhivya Gad Pulcorner
2218 days ago
This is their tendency. They trace families where women are alone or girls from single parents. They take them to their Restaurant and give good food, etc. After winning their trust they misuse them. Most of them immigrated to UK during 1950s and have good political contacts there. They do all kind of criminal acts. They must be hanged.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'Surgery was painful': UnitedHealthcare CEO killer Luigi Mangione's social media posts indicate about his health struggles
- Luigi Mangione and the Gray Tribe: The peculiar worldview of America’s latest heartthrob
- Did Donald Trump Jr leave Kimberly Guilfoyle to impress father? 'Someone like Melania'
- Did Joe Biden pardon a Chinese spy who possessed child pornography? Here's the truth
- MAGA asks 'who is Don Lemon' after his meltdown over Trump becoming Person of the Year
end of article
Trending Stories
- Allu Arjun Arrested Live Updates
- Elon Musk says even Microsoft founder Bill Gates will go bankrupt if ...
- 'Surgery was painful': UnitedHealthcare CEO killer Luigi Mangione's social media posts indicate about his health struggles
- Did Joe Biden pardon a Chinese spy who possessed child pornography? Here's the truth
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos says he is rarely on time in meetings; the only meeting I’m ever on time is ...
- Who is Luigi Mangione's 'copycat' Briana Boston arrested for 'you are next' threat?
- Ayesha Curry, Steph Curry's wife, expresses gratitude to actress Tracee Ellis Ross for supportive endorsement of Domaine Curry Wine
Visual Stories
- 10 popular Gujarati snacks to relish during winter
- 10 unique wild cat species found in the Indian forests
- How to grow Dragon fruit in the balcony or terrace garden
- 10 pictures from inside Amitabh Bachchan's iconic home Jalsa
- How to make Banana Almond Cake at home
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT