This story is from May 09, 2019
US-Taliban talks wrap up in Doha with 'some progress': Taliban
KABUL: The latest round of US-Taliban talks ended in
Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban's political spokesman in Doha, tweeted that "some progress" had been made at the sixth round of peace talks and that the foes would meet again for another round of discussions.
"In general, this round was positive and constructive. Both sides listened to each other with care and patience," Shaheen wrote on Twitter.
The US embassy in Kabul did not immediately comment, nor did US peace envoy
Shaheen told AFP on Sunday that peace negotiations were stumbling over the fundamental question of when foreign forces would depart Afghanistan.
Before the US agrees to any withdrawal as part of an eventual deal, it is demanding the Taliban put in place security guarantees, a ceasefire and other commitments including an "intra-Afghan" dialogue with the Kabul government and other Afghan representatives.
The Taliban, however, insist they won't do any of these things until the US announces a withdrawal timeline.
At the end of a large peace summit in Kabul last week, President
On Wednesday, a Taliban suicide bomber and four gunmen attacked Counterpart International, a non-profit group working with marginalised people in Afghanistan, killing nine people.
"This violent attack is a senseless assault on the noble values that the organisations like Counterpart support, such as service to others, education, and inclusion," US secretary of state
Qatar
on Thursday, an insurgent spokesman said, after "positive and constructive" negotiations that continued even as the Taliban bombed a US-funded aid group inKabul
.Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban's political spokesman in Doha, tweeted that "some progress" had been made at the sixth round of peace talks and that the foes would meet again for another round of discussions.
The US embassy in Kabul did not immediately comment, nor did US peace envoy
Zalmay Khalilzad
, the Afghan-born former US ambassador toAfghanistan
who is leading negotiations for the Americans.Shaheen told AFP on Sunday that peace negotiations were stumbling over the fundamental question of when foreign forces would depart Afghanistan.
The Taliban, however, insist they won't do any of these things until the US announces a withdrawal timeline.
At the end of a large peace summit in Kabul last week, President
Ashraf Ghani
offered the Taliban a ceasefire to begin on the first day of Ramadan, but the insurgents refused.On Wednesday, a Taliban suicide bomber and four gunmen attacked Counterpart International, a non-profit group working with marginalised people in Afghanistan, killing nine people.
"This violent attack is a senseless assault on the noble values that the organisations like Counterpart support, such as service to others, education, and inclusion," US secretary of state
Mike Pompeo
said in a statement.Top Comment
Sundara Sundara
2054 days ago
Ha Ha first they blamed Qatar for Terrorist supports but they are in round table with a Terrorist group. What a joke.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Canada, Greenland, Panama Canal: Trump stirs global unease with territorial remarks
- Who is Amelia Carter? Is she really the victim of the NYC subway horror?
- NYC subway horror victim had mobility issues, stood still in fire
- Removing H-1B caps for Indians? David Sacks and Elon Musk back Sriram Krishnan's view on green cards
- 'House of horrors': US gay couple get 100 years in prison for raping adopted sons
end of article
Trending Stories
- Who is Amelia Carter? Is she really the victim of the NYC subway horror?
- “Absolutely ridiculous”: Keanu Reeves provided a humorous response to the rumor that the Ravens offered him a chance at quarterback
- Patrick Mahomes prepares for Texans game while his wife Brittany Mahomes and their kids enjoy an early Christmas celebration
- Russia reacts to reports of ousted Syrian President Assad’s wife seeking divorce
- GOOD NEWS! For Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott fans: "A month away from running and really moving."
- Elon Musk 'comforting reply to Jeff Bezos' 'angry post' on $600 million wedding to fiance Lauren Sanchez
- Carmelo Anthony's ex-wife La La Anthony shares mysterious message in recent photoshoot post: "You'll never find another me!"
Visual Stories
- How to make Masala Chicken Curry at home
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 10 easy-to-care-for beautiful freshwater fish for home aquariums
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- 10 rare animals found only in Asia
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT