Bangladesh unrest: Hindu man lynched, body tied to tree and set on fire as tensions escalate - report
NEW DELHI: A Hindu youth was beaten to death by a mob and his body set on fire in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh district on Thursday night following allegations of blasphemy, BBC Bangla reported, amid continuing unrest in the country and growing concerns over attacks on minorities and media institutions.
The incident took place in the Dubalia Para area of Square Master Bari in Bhaluka upazila. Police identified the victim as Dipu Chandra Das, who worked at a local garment factory and lived in the area as a tenant.
“A group of agitated people caught him and beat him up around 9 pm on Thursday for insulting the Prophet. Then they set his body on fire,” Ripon Mia, duty officer of Bhaluka police station, told BBC Bangla. He said the attackers tied the body to a tree before setting it ablaze.
Police reached the spot after receiving information and brought the situation under control. The body was recovered and sent to the morgue of Mymensingh Medical College Hospital for autopsy. No case has been filed so far. “We are searching for his relatives. If they come and file a case, action will be taken according to the law,” Mia said.
Also read - ‘Journalists were scared to death': Bangladesh newspaper Prothom Alo goes unpublished for first time in 27 years; editor recounts 'darkest night' of media attack
The interim government condemned the incident in a statement on X, which is also the first response to the ongoing unrest in the country. "We wholeheartedly condemn lynching of a Hindu man in Mymensingh. There is no space for such violence in new Bangladesh. The perpetrators of this heinous crimine will not be spared," the statement read.
The killing comes amid a broader wave of violence across Bangladesh following the death of Sharif Osman Hadi, a 32-year-old student leader and key figure in last year’s uprising. Hadi, who was shot by masked gunmen earlier this month, died in hospital on Thursday, triggering large-scale protests in Dhaka.
Also read: Yunus govt reacts to lynching of Hindu man; urges for peace
Several buildings in the capital, including those housing leading newspapers Prothom Alo and the Daily Star, were vandalised and set on fire. Journalists were trapped inside smoke-filled newsrooms as firefighters carried out rescue operations. “I can't breathe anymore. There's too much smoke. I am inside. You are killing me,” Daily Star reporter Zyma Islam wrote on Facebook.
Firefighters brought the blaze at the Daily Star building under control around 1.40 am, rescuing 27 employees. “For the first time in the newspaper's history, the publication had to be halted,” consulting editor Kamal Ahmed told AFP. Prothom Alo executive editor Sajjad Sharif said the attack was “an attack on freedom of the press, expression, dissent and diversity of opinion”.
The violence has drawn international concern. The Committee to Protect Journalists said it was alarmed and urged Bangladeshi authorities to ensure the safety of journalists and hold those responsible accountable.
In New Delhi, a parliamentary standing committee on external affairs said the situation in Bangladesh was “complex and evolving” and flagged continued attacks on minorities, media groups and intellectuals. “The political events of August 2024 have created significant instability and uncertainty with incidents of violence, attacks and intimidation of minorities, tribal communities, media groups, intellectuals, journalists, academicians, etc., becoming the norm,” the panel said in a report presented in Parliament.
The ministry of external affairs told the committee that India remains concerned about extremism and attacks on minorities in Bangladesh, even as it continues engagement with the interim government and seeks to insulate bilateral ties from recent political developments.
Police in Bangladesh have launched a manhunt for Hadi’s attackers and announced a reward for information leading to their arrest, as authorities struggle to contain unrest that has raised fresh questions about law and order and minority safety in the country.
Police reached the spot after receiving information and brought the situation under control. The body was recovered and sent to the morgue of Mymensingh Medical College Hospital for autopsy. No case has been filed so far. “We are searching for his relatives. If they come and file a case, action will be taken according to the law,” Mia said.
Also read - ‘Journalists were scared to death': Bangladesh newspaper Prothom Alo goes unpublished for first time in 27 years; editor recounts 'darkest night' of media attack
The killing comes amid a broader wave of violence across Bangladesh following the death of Sharif Osman Hadi, a 32-year-old student leader and key figure in last year’s uprising. Hadi, who was shot by masked gunmen earlier this month, died in hospital on Thursday, triggering large-scale protests in Dhaka.
Also read: Yunus govt reacts to lynching of Hindu man; urges for peace
Several buildings in the capital, including those housing leading newspapers Prothom Alo and the Daily Star, were vandalised and set on fire. Journalists were trapped inside smoke-filled newsrooms as firefighters carried out rescue operations. “I can't breathe anymore. There's too much smoke. I am inside. You are killing me,” Daily Star reporter Zyma Islam wrote on Facebook.
Firefighters brought the blaze at the Daily Star building under control around 1.40 am, rescuing 27 employees. “For the first time in the newspaper's history, the publication had to be halted,” consulting editor Kamal Ahmed told AFP. Prothom Alo executive editor Sajjad Sharif said the attack was “an attack on freedom of the press, expression, dissent and diversity of opinion”.
The violence has drawn international concern. The Committee to Protect Journalists said it was alarmed and urged Bangladeshi authorities to ensure the safety of journalists and hold those responsible accountable.
In New Delhi, a parliamentary standing committee on external affairs said the situation in Bangladesh was “complex and evolving” and flagged continued attacks on minorities, media groups and intellectuals. “The political events of August 2024 have created significant instability and uncertainty with incidents of violence, attacks and intimidation of minorities, tribal communities, media groups, intellectuals, journalists, academicians, etc., becoming the norm,” the panel said in a report presented in Parliament.
The ministry of external affairs told the committee that India remains concerned about extremism and attacks on minorities in Bangladesh, even as it continues engagement with the interim government and seeks to insulate bilateral ties from recent political developments.
Police in Bangladesh have launched a manhunt for Hadi’s attackers and announced a reward for information leading to their arrest, as authorities struggle to contain unrest that has raised fresh questions about law and order and minority safety in the country.
Top Comment
B
Benith Mascarenhas
16 days ago
DEPORT HASINA BEGUM THE PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVE. WITHOUT ELECTIONS SHE WAS PRESIDENT BY FORCE FROM MANY YEARS.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- What if Putin imitates Trump and tries a 'Maduro' on Zelenskyy?
- US warplanes and elite units have been landing in Britain since the weekend
- 'Will visit your neighbors, office': US reminds new citizenship applicants that this 'old' background check is back
- ‘Dream Military’: Trump proposes $1.5 trillion defence budget for 2027, up from $1 trillion; links increase to tariff income
- Oil tanker row: Moscow condemns US seizure of Russian-flagged vessel; cites violation of maritime law
end of article
Trending Stories
- Forever layoff: A rising trend turning workplaces into waiting rooms
- ‘I sit for 8 hours and pretend to work at the office,’ shares employee: Is productivity now a workplace performance?
- Who was Agnivesh Agarwal? Anil Agarwal’s son & Vedanta Group director passes away at 49; PM Modi offers condolences
- “So useless bro”: Chelsea’s devastating defeat against Fulham propelled fans to fume over one star player
- "Get him out of my football club”: Thomas Frank receives intense Abbi Summers backlash following Arsenal cup controversy
- Neymar makes biggest flex with Batmobile and private jet worth over a whopping $63 million, but there’s a catch
- Haydn Fleury net worth: Contracts, bonuses, and endorsement deals of NHL veteran
Featured in world
- UAE: Dubai’s Global Village unveils date and time for season’s biggest drone show
- UAE: 18-year-old Emirati becomes youngest Arab to reach Antarctica’s highest peak
- Facing rent increase in Dubai? This AI tool could save you thousands
- Man wakes from surgery speaking fluent ‘native-level’ Spanish despite only knowing how to count to 10
- Saudi Arabia imposes ban on poultry and egg imports from France and Poland amid disease outbreaks
- 'Appreciate his call and tone': Colombia President 'explains' to Donald Trump drug 'situation'; plan to meet in future
Photostories
- How to make high-protein Beetroot Paneer Dosa for breakfast
- How to grow spinach in winter
- Akshay Kumar–Priyadarshan to Shahid Kapoor–Vishal Bhardwaj: Why 2026 is all about Bollywood’s trusted collaborations
- 7 animals that build amazing homes
- 5 Tamil romantic thrillers to binge on OTT
- 5 signs of emotionally unavailable partners
- From films to music, the lesser known sides of ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ director Farhan Akhtar
- 9 mistakes to avoid while making biryani at home
- Winter Special: How to make traditional Besan Ka Sheera at home
- 5 adorable-looking animals that are surprisingly deadly
Videos
09:30 Putin's Bombshell Offer To US On Venezuela Revealed; Ukraine Link Out, Zelensky To Meet Maduro Fate?06:11 'We Don't Belong To Trump': Venezuela Rises Against 'Colonial' US: Caracas Erupts For Maduro Return08:24 Hegseth Grilled On Maduro Abduction; War Secy Loses Cool, Attacks CNN Reporter In Tense Exchange06:37 White House Denies Claims Of JD Vance's Absence During Venezuelan Operation; ‘He Was Just…’- Minnesota Violence: Kristi Noem Shuts Down Guv Tim Walz On LIVE TV After Minneapolis Killing
05:48 Greenland Revolt: Sen. Kennedy Breaks Ranks With Trump, Delivers Shock Speech On Potential Invasion10:22 Minneapolis: ICE Vehicles Attacked, Protests Erupt After Immigration Agent Kills American Woman08:49 Moscow Rebukes Trump After US Seizes Russian-Flagged Ship; ‘You Have Breached UN Norms’06:39 Trump’s ICE Agent KILLS Woman; ‘GET THE F**K OUT!’: Minneapolis EXPLODES After Shock Crackdown
Up Next