Smartphones banned from schools in Afghan Taliban's heartland
A ban on smartphones in schools issued by Taliban authorities in southern Afghanistan came into force, students and teachers confirmed to on Wednesday, over concerns of "focus" and "Islamic law".
The directive by the provincial Education Department in Kandahar applies to students, teachers and administrative staff in schools and religious schools.
"This decision has been made to ensure educational discipline, focus", the statement said, adding that it was taken from a "sharia perspective" and that smartphones contribute to "the destruction of the future generation".
The policy, which has already taken effect in schools across the province, has divided opinion among teachers and students.
"We did not bring smart phones with us to school today", Saeed Ahmad, a 22-year-old teacher, told AFP.
"I think this is a good decision so that there is more focus on studies," he added.
Mohammad Anwar, an 11th grader, said "the teachers are saying if anyone is seen bringing a phone, they will start searching the students."
Another 12th-grade student, refusing to give his name, said the ban would hinder learning in a country where girls are barred from secondary school and university as part of restrictions the UN has dubbed "gender apartheid".
"When the teacher writes a lesson on the board, I often take a picture so I could write it down later. Now I can't. This decision will negatively affect our studies."
- 'Complete ban' -
The ban has also taken root in religious schools known as madrassas.
"Now there's a complete ban. No one brings smartphones anymore," Mohammad, 19 years old madrassa student said.
A number of countries have in recent years moved to restrict mobile phones from classrooms such as France, Denmark and Brazil.
The Taliban authorities have already introduced a ban on images of living beings in media, with multiple provinces announcing restrictions and some Taliban officials refusing to be photographed or filmed.
The Taliban's Supreme Leader Hibatullah Akhundzada called last week on officials and scholars to reduce their use of smartphones.
"This is the order of the leaders, and we must accept it," a 28-year-old security forces member told AFP without giving his name as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
"I have now found a brick phone ... I used WhatsApp on my smartphone sometimes, but now I don't use it anymore," he added.
Some Taliban officials in Kandahar have started sharing their numbers for brick phones and switching off online messaging apps.
"This decision has been made to ensure educational discipline, focus", the statement said, adding that it was taken from a "sharia perspective" and that smartphones contribute to "the destruction of the future generation".
The policy, which has already taken effect in schools across the province, has divided opinion among teachers and students.
"We did not bring smart phones with us to school today", Saeed Ahmad, a 22-year-old teacher, told AFP.
"I think this is a good decision so that there is more focus on studies," he added.
Mohammad Anwar, an 11th grader, said "the teachers are saying if anyone is seen bringing a phone, they will start searching the students."
"When the teacher writes a lesson on the board, I often take a picture so I could write it down later. Now I can't. This decision will negatively affect our studies."
- 'Complete ban' -
The ban has also taken root in religious schools known as madrassas.
"Now there's a complete ban. No one brings smartphones anymore," Mohammad, 19 years old madrassa student said.
A number of countries have in recent years moved to restrict mobile phones from classrooms such as France, Denmark and Brazil.
The Taliban authorities have already introduced a ban on images of living beings in media, with multiple provinces announcing restrictions and some Taliban officials refusing to be photographed or filmed.
The Taliban's Supreme Leader Hibatullah Akhundzada called last week on officials and scholars to reduce their use of smartphones.
"This is the order of the leaders, and we must accept it," a 28-year-old security forces member told AFP without giving his name as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
"I have now found a brick phone ... I used WhatsApp on my smartphone sometimes, but now I don't use it anymore," he added.
Some Taliban officials in Kandahar have started sharing their numbers for brick phones and switching off online messaging apps.
Popular from World
- 'The battle begins': Iran's Khamenei hits back at Trump's threats; US may join strikes
- Israel-Iran conflict: Tehran fires hypersonic missile; Donald Trump issues new warning - 10 key points
- Trump to meet Pakistan's Munir; protesters call him 'dictator'; Iran ties in focus
- 'Pakistan will attack Israel with nuclear missile': Top Iranian official; can Shaheen-3 reach Tel Aviv?
- 'Need to be careful': Canadian PM Mark Carney on Nijjar case; meets PM Modi at G7
end of article
Trending Stories
- FASTag-based Annual Pass announced! Nitin Gadkari says new pass to have fee of Rs 3,000 - details here
- Three ejected after massive brawl erupts during Indiana Fever vs Connecticut Sun game following foul on Caitlin Clark
- 'Nahi chahiye biryani!': Ravi Shastri reveals insider chat with Mohammed Shami that angered the seamer; resulted in heroics
- Cash-at-home case: Kapil Sibal calls Yashwant Varma 'one of the finest judges'; condemns impeachment move
- 'The battle begins': Iran's Khamenei hits back at Trump's threats; US may join strikes
- 'Countries that openly support terrorism are rewarded': AT G7, PM Modi calls out double standard on terror; urges global action - top quotes
- Israel-Iran tensions: Indians asked to 'move to a safe location' outside Tehran; helpline numbers released
Featured in world
03:22 Regime on edge: If Khamenei is slain, who will rule Iran? Behind the scenes of Supreme Leader succession battle- G7 leaders fail to reach ambitious joint agreements on key issues after Trump's exit
- Florida AG held in contempt: Uthmeier defied migrant law ruling; says backing Trump worth the cost
- Watch: Mount Lewotobi erupts in Indonesia; sends ashes 10kms in the sky
- ‘You don’t know the population?’ Carlson grills Cruz on Iran; conservative rift deepens
- Middle East crisis: US shuts Jerusalem embassy; no evacuation for Americans announced
Visual Stories
- 'Jaaran’ actress Amruta Subhash's beautiful pictures
- Explore the types of foundations and find the right one for your skin
- ‘Maa’ actress Kajol's love for saree
- 10 tiny habits to train your brain for a more peaceful life
- 7 Michelle Obama quotes every student can learn from
Photostories
- 10 animals you’ll only ever find in the US and nowhere else
- The impact of Diabetes on pregnancy
- Revisiting Karisma Kapoor’s wedding look—SEE PICS—Throwback
- 9 health benefits of Brazil nuts—The super snack you’re probably missing out on
- Archana Puran Singh and husband Parmeet recreate ‘DDLJ’ train moment; their sons Ayushmaan and Aaryamann attempt ‘scary’ mountain climbing activity in Switzerland
- Harbhajan Singh and Geeta Basra's love story: The emotion that transcends Bollywood and cricket
- Bobby Deol’s sons are gearing up for Bollywood: Here's what we know about Aryaman and Dharam’s future in films
- Aruna Irani: Things you may not know about the renowned veteran actress
- Beet juice vs whole beets: Which is better for your health?
- Why do Hindus tie a kalawa around their wrist? Significance, power, & how long to tie it
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment