Get TOI+ Free Trial & Go Ad Free
Open
OPEN APP

Russia says Ukraine launches 'counterattack' in Kursk region

Russia claimed that Ukraine launched a counterattack in the Kursk... Read More
MOSCOW: Russia said Sunday that Ukraine had launched a "counterattack" in the western border region of Kursk, where Kyiv's forces began a shock ground offensive last August.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
It was not immediately clear how much Ukraine had advanced in the region, but pro-Kremlin military bloggers reported earlier that a powerful new offensive was underway.

"At about 9:00 am Moscow time (0600 GMT), in order to halt the advance of Russian troops in the Kursk direction, the enemy launched a counterattack," the Russian defence ministry said.

Ukraine used two tanks, a dozen armoured vehicles and a demolition unit in the new offensive, which was headed towards the village of Berdin, the ministry added.

"The operation to destroy the Ukrainian army formations continues."

Pro-Kremlin military bloggers reported earlier that Kyiv was mounting a new offensive in the area, and that its troops were pressing towards the region's Bolshesoldatsky district.
Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

Ukrainian officials offered limited information about the offensive.

"Russia is getting what it deserves," Ukrainian presidential chief of staff Andriy Yermak said.

Kyiv seized dozens of villages in the Kursk region shortly after its offensive began last year, but its advances stalled after Moscow rushed reinforcements to the area, including thousands of North Korean troops.

Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
Expand
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information