This story is from November 03, 2020
North Korea building two submarines, one capable of firing ballistic missiles
SEOUL: North Korea is building two new submarines, including one capable of firing ballistic missiles, a South Korean lawmaker said on Tuesday, following a closed-door briefing by the South's National Intelligence Service.
North Korea has a large submarine fleet but only one known experimental submarine capable of carrying a ballistic missile.
"One of the submarines North Korea is building can carry a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM)," Ha Tae-keung, an opposition party lawmaker on parliament’s intelligence committee, told Reuters. "One is a modified Romeo Class and the other is a new medium-large size one."
North Korea has been subject to U.N. Security Council sanctions since 2006 over its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump have met three times since 2018, but failed to make progress on U.S. calls for Pyongyang to give up its
In July 2019 state media showed Kim inspecting a large, newly built submarine. While North Korea did not describe the submarine’s weapons systems, analysts said the apparent size of the vessel indicated it was designed to carry missiles.
Later that year North Korea said it had successfully test-fired a new SLBM from the sea, and last month it showcased a new SLBM design during a
Kim's vow to unveil new strategic weapons this year also led to speculation that North Korea could soon deploy an operational
North Korea has unveiled a total of 76 intercontinental ballistic missiles in nine different types at a military parade on Oct. 10, that showcased the country’s long-range weapons for the first time in two years, Yonhap news agency reported, citing Ha.
The weapons showcased this year were the largest of all past military parades in scale, he said.
The lawmaker also said there was circumstantial evidence indicating that Kim had ordered an investigation into the North Korean troops who shot dead a South Korean fisheries official who went missing in late September, Yonhap reported.
North Korea last week said the shooting of the South Korean man in its waters last month was a self-defensive measure amid concerns about the coronavirus.
"One of the submarines North Korea is building can carry a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM)," Ha Tae-keung, an opposition party lawmaker on parliament’s intelligence committee, told Reuters. "One is a modified Romeo Class and the other is a new medium-large size one."
North Korea has been subject to U.N. Security Council sanctions since 2006 over its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump have met three times since 2018, but failed to make progress on U.S. calls for Pyongyang to give up its
nuclear weapons
and North Korea's demands for an end to sanctions.In July 2019 state media showed Kim inspecting a large, newly built submarine. While North Korea did not describe the submarine’s weapons systems, analysts said the apparent size of the vessel indicated it was designed to carry missiles.
Later that year North Korea said it had successfully test-fired a new SLBM from the sea, and last month it showcased a new SLBM design during a
military parade
in Pyongyang.ballistic missile submarine
.North Korea has unveiled a total of 76 intercontinental ballistic missiles in nine different types at a military parade on Oct. 10, that showcased the country’s long-range weapons for the first time in two years, Yonhap news agency reported, citing Ha.
The weapons showcased this year were the largest of all past military parades in scale, he said.
The lawmaker also said there was circumstantial evidence indicating that Kim had ordered an investigation into the North Korean troops who shot dead a South Korean fisheries official who went missing in late September, Yonhap reported.
North Korea last week said the shooting of the South Korean man in its waters last month was a self-defensive measure amid concerns about the coronavirus.
Top Comment
Balbir Singh
1493 days ago
These are all programmes of China. N. Korea does not have resources for such dangerous plans. Its population is dying of hunger and it cannot dream of such projects. It is all the handiwork of the dragon.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'I just can’t feel sympathy for him': Torrent of hate at health insurers after CEO’s murder in US
- Syrian rebel forces capture Hama: Could Assad’s regime collapse?
- Could Hawk Tuah girl be arrested for her 'crypto scam'? Truth behind the viral claim
- Obtaining bail is a right, monk Chinmoy Krishna Das' plea must be heard, religious heads tell Yunus
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle deeply ‘hurt’ by German documentary 'Harry - The Lost Prince', claims source
end of article
Trending Stories
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle deeply ‘hurt’ by German documentary 'Harry - The Lost Prince', claims source
- Travis Kelce planning a $12 million engagement ring and an "unforgettable" proposal for Taylor Swift
- Nostradamus Predictions for the year 2025
- Baba Vanga Predictions 2025: 5 Zodiac Signs are likely to become Rich in 2025
- Jeff Bezos is back at Amazon just 3 years after his retirement," my fears are there and...."
- Reddit thread on UnitedHealthcare CEO shot dead deleted as doctors celebrate murder
- The Doll: Meet Karen Julieth Ojeda Rodriguez, a Colombian hitwoman who killed her ex-boyfriend in cold blood
Visual Stories
- How to make healthy Oats Palak Chilla for a kid's tiffin
- 10 best Fried Chicken dishes from around the world
- 10 ways to use turmeric in winters
- 10 animals not allowed as pets in India
- 10 types of Dosa and how they are made
UP NEXT