Hong Kong fire: 55 dead, hundreds still missing; videos show flames leaping from high-rise towers
Firefighters in Hong Kong were still battling a massive blaze on Thursday after a deadly fire tore through a high-rise housing estate, killing at least 55 people and leaving hundreds missing.
The disaster, financial hub's worst fire in decades, erupted suddenly on Wednesday afternoon (local time) and rapidly consumed parts of the densely packed Wang Fuk Court complex in Tai Po.
Also read | Hong Kong fire: Death toll rises to 44, three arrested on manslaughter charges
The chain of events started around 2:50pm on Wednesday, when flames first broke out at the eight-building estate, home to about 2,000 units across 32-storey towers. The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but the buildings were under repair and wrapped in bamboo scaffolding -- a traditional and flammable material still commonly used in Hong Kong.
Authorities had previously warned about the danger of bamboo scaffolding after another blaze spread rapidly last October. Despite government plans to phase it out in favour of fire-resistant steel, the Wang Fuk Court estate remained covered in bamboo.
By early Thursday, police had arrested three men, saying flammable materials left behind during maintenance work had allowed the blaze “to spread rapidly beyond control”.
A 65-year-old resident surnamed Yuen, who has lived in the estate for more than four decades, said many neighbours were elderly and unaware of the danger.
"The windows were closed because of the maintenance, (some people) didn't know there was a fire and had to be told to evacuate via phone calls by neighbours," Yuen told AFP. "I'm devastated."
According to Derek Armstrong Chan, deputy director of fire service operations, strong winds and burning debris likely pushed the flames from one building to another.
"The temperature at the scene is very high and there are some floors where we have been unable to reach people who requested help, but we will keep trying," he said.
Earlier, Hong Kong leader John Lee said 279 people were unaccounted for, though firefighters later reached some of them. More than 900 residents took shelter in temporary facilities.
At those shelters, police officers struggled to determine an exact count of the missing as residents continued arriving late into the night to report missing family members.
The danger was still visible in the estate as charred scaffolding collapsed, flames burst from windows and a fiery orange glow illuminated nearby buildings. Residents were evacuated by coach, and local media reported that adjacent blocks were being cleared. Parts of a nearby highway were also shut down for the firefighting operation.
Another resident, an apartment owner in his 40s, said he could not bring himself to leave. "The fire is not yet under control and I dare not leave, and I don't know what I can do," he said.
John Lee said he was "deeply saddened" and assured that all government departments were assisting residents.
Hong Kong, once plagued by deadly fires in overcrowded districts, had seen major improvements in safety over recent decades. But the speed and scale of Wednesday’s blaze have revived concerns about building safety, construction practices and ageing infrastructure.
Also read | Hong Kong fire: Death toll rises to 44, three arrested on manslaughter charges
What led to tragedy
The chain of events started around 2:50pm on Wednesday, when flames first broke out at the eight-building estate, home to about 2,000 units across 32-storey towers. The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but the buildings were under repair and wrapped in bamboo scaffolding -- a traditional and flammable material still commonly used in Hong Kong.
By early Thursday, police had arrested three men, saying flammable materials left behind during maintenance work had allowed the blaze “to spread rapidly beyond control”.
Rapid spread across the estate
As flames ripped through the complex, AFP journalists arriving at daybreak on Thursday saw some flats still burning, although the fire had weakened overnight. Witnesses described loud cracking -- likely the bamboo collapsing -- and thick smoke billowing between the towers as fiery debris drifted in the air.A 65-year-old resident surnamed Yuen, who has lived in the estate for more than four decades, said many neighbours were elderly and unaware of the danger.
"The windows were closed because of the maintenance, (some people) didn't know there was a fire and had to be told to evacuate via phone calls by neighbours," Yuen told AFP. "I'm devastated."
According to Derek Armstrong Chan, deputy director of fire service operations, strong winds and burning debris likely pushed the flames from one building to another.
"The temperature at the scene is very high and there are some floors where we have been unable to reach people who requested help, but we will keep trying," he said.
Rising casualties, mounting chaos
By Thursday morning, officials confirmed 55 deaths, including a 37-year-old firefighter who was discovered with burns after losing contact with colleagues for about half an hour, fire service director Andy Yeung said.Earlier, Hong Kong leader John Lee said 279 people were unaccounted for, though firefighters later reached some of them. More than 900 residents took shelter in temporary facilities.
At those shelters, police officers struggled to determine an exact count of the missing as residents continued arriving late into the night to report missing family members.
The danger was still visible in the estate as charred scaffolding collapsed, flames burst from windows and a fiery orange glow illuminated nearby buildings. Residents were evacuated by coach, and local media reported that adjacent blocks were being cleared. Parts of a nearby highway were also shut down for the firefighting operation.
Voices from the ground
A Tai Po resident surnamed So, 57, stood watching the devastation. "There's nothing that can be done about the property. We can only hope that everyone, no matter old or young, can return safely," So told AFP.Another resident, an apartment owner in his 40s, said he could not bring himself to leave. "The fire is not yet under control and I dare not leave, and I don't know what I can do," he said.
Mainland reaction and a shaken city
Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed condolences, including to "the firefighter who died in the line of duty," and urged authorities to “make every effort to extinguish the fire and minimise casualties and losses,” state media reported.John Lee said he was "deeply saddened" and assured that all government departments were assisting residents.
Hong Kong, once plagued by deadly fires in overcrowded districts, had seen major improvements in safety over recent decades. But the speed and scale of Wednesday’s blaze have revived concerns about building safety, construction practices and ageing infrastructure.
Top Comment
U
User
1 hour ago
May all those perished reach heaven.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Hong Kong: 44 dead as fire engulfs high-rise buildings; over 250 people still unaccounted for
- Hong Kong fire: Death toll rises to 44, three arrested on manslaughter charges; top developments
- 'One district in India got 220,000 H-1B visas': US economist explains 'fraud', says only 12% comes from China
- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman – Net worth and lavish lifestyle
- Where is Imran Khan? Former Pak PM's health rumours take over social media; sisters demand probe into assault outside Adiala jail
end of article
Trending Stories
- Meerut blue drum murder: Accused Muskan Rastogi's newborn to spend 6 years in jail; supervised schooling to begin at age 3
- 45 bidders, 1 lucky winner: ‘HR88B-8888’ may be India’s priciest car registration number; record bid of over Rs 1.1 crore
- Hong Kong fire: Death toll rises to 44, three arrested on manslaughter charges; top developments
- Shooting near White House: Who is Rahmanullah Lakanwal? Afghan national named suspect in security breach
- MLB trade rumors: Kansas City Royals predicted to make blockbuster run at $22 million Toronto Blue Jays star to form deadly duo with Bobby Witt Jr.
- Stripped World’s Strongest Woman winner Jammie Booker reveals her life with multiple lovers on podcast
- Stefon Diggs’ partner Cardi B makes a bold statement after childbirth by transforming her baby’s umbilical cord into a gold pendant
Featured in world
- Turkey prices fly, stores grounded; how bird flu outbreak is driving shortages, but not bills
- Hong Kong fire: 44 dead, hundreds still missing; videos show flames leaping from high-rise towers
- Peace plan fine-tuned, will send envoys to Kyiv & Moscow: Donald Trump
- Taiwan plans $40bn extra def spending to counter Beijing
- Starmer-led UK govt raises taxes by more than $30bn in push for 'stable economy'
- Israel military launches fresh operation in West Bank 'to thwart terrorist activity'
Photostories
- ‘120 Bahadur’, ‘Uri', to ‘Shershaah’: Powerful war dramas that bring India’s most courageous battles to life
- Not just blood sugar and cholesterol: Top diabetologist lists 5 biomarkers to predict diseases years before symptoms appear
- 5 rare animals in India that are nature’s best-kept secrets
- Top doctor shares 4 reasons to prioritize fiber for longevity
- Sonam Kapoor to Janhvi Kapoor: Celeb-inspired contrasting lehenga-choli combinations for the stylish 'Dulhe Ki Behen'
- Mahesh Babu proves effortless charm as a timeless superstar commanding hearts on screen and ruling box office success
- This Indian rice dish is among the 50 Best Rice Dishes in the world
- Bollywood actors who turned Hollywood roles into global stardom
- Dipika Kakar gets emotional after visiting Ajmer Sharif Dargah with Shoaib Ibrahim and son; says 'Jab Ruhaan NICU mein tha tab maine mannat maangi thi'
- Harvard trained Gastroenterologist lists 6 best seeds for different health problems
Videos
05:58 SHOCK VIDEO: Watch How National Guard Captured & Stripped Afghan Attacker In DC After Shooting09:09 Afghan Rahmanullah Lakanwal Identified As DC National Guard Shooter; Let Into U.S. By Biden In 202105:11 'Evil Act': Trump Vows Action After National Guard Shot In DC; Slams Biden Over Afghan Suspect05:38 National Guard Shot: Shocking Eyewitness Account; ‘They Had Somebody Pinned Down' | Washington DC'03:26 DC MILITARY SIEGE: U.S. Capital Under Lockdown; Choppers Deployed, White House Cordoned Off | WATCH06:36 SHOCK VIDEO: Moment National Guard Were Shot Near White House In Washington, D.C. | WATCH03:06 NATO Leader’s Jaw-Dropping Remark Follows Praise From Russia; ‘There’s No One Like…’03:04 Karoline's Family HIT By ICE Arrests; ‘Illegals, Can’t Let…’: Huge Embarrassment For Trump’s Secy03:14 'Animal Will Pay': Trump Erupts After 2 National Guardsmen Shot Near White House; DC In Lockdown
Up Next