Bondi Beach Attack: Fresh details reveal Sajid Akram’s roots in Hyderabad; migrated to Australia 27 years ago
Fresh details have emerged in the probe into Australia’s deadliest mass shooting in decades, with Telangana Police confirming that Sajid Akram, one of the accused in the Bondi Beach terror attack, was originally from Hyderabad. The clarification corrects earlier reports that had identified the attacker as being of Pakistani origin.
In a statement, Telangana Police said Sajid Akram had migrated to Australia nearly 27 years ago, in November 1998, after completing his B Com in Hyderabad.
He had limited contact with his family in Hyderabad over the years, visiting India only six times, primarily for family-related reasons such as property matters and visits to his elderly parents.
The police added that his radicalisation and actions appeared to have no connection with India or any local influence in Telangana. Sajid carried an Indian passport, while his son Naveed Akram, 24 and daughter, born in Australia, are Australian citizens.
Telangana police also confirmed that Sajid Akram had no adverse record in India prior to his migration.
The attack unfolded on Sunday at Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach during a Hanukkah event, when Sajid Akram, 50 and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram opened fire on crowds from a raised pedestrian boardwalk.
16 people were killed, including a 10-year-old girl, a rabbi, a retired police officer and a Holocaust survivor, while over 25 others were injured, six of them critically.
Police said the attackers fired for nearly 10 minutes, triggering panic as families and tourists fled across the packed beachfront. Sajid Akram was shot dead in a gunfight with police at the scene, while Naveed was arrested and remains in hospital in a critical but stable condition under police guard.
Australian authorities have declared the shooting a terrorist incident. Investigators recovered improvised explosive devices and two homemade flags linked to the Islamic State (IS) from a vehicle registered in Naveed’s name. Police also seized multiple firearms, some of which Sajid legally owned under a recreational firearms licence.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the attackers were radicalised by an “ideology of hate”, adding that the attack was intended to terrorise Australia’s Jewish community. He described the shooting as “an act of pure evil, an act of antisemitism, and an act of terrorism.”
Security agencies are also probing the duo’s recent travel to the Philippines, where they reportedly stayed last month. Philippine immigration authorities confirmed that the men entered the country on November 1 and departed on November 28. Australian police said the purpose of the trip and reports of possible “military-style training” remain under investigation.
According to New South Wales Police, the two men had told family members they were going on a fishing trip but were instead staying at a short-term rental in Sydney’s Campsie suburb, where investigators later recovered additional firearms.
Australian intelligence agency ASIO had assessed Naveed Akram in 2019 due to concerns about his associations but did not classify him as an imminent threat at the time. Albanese said there was no intelligence failure.
Bondi Beach remained an active crime scene on Tuesday as forensic and ballistic investigations continued, though authorities said the area is expected to reopen by Wednesday afternoon.
The attack has reignited debate over gun laws in Australia, with the Prime Minister signalling possible tightening of firearms regulations, despite the country’s already strict gun control framework.
Flags across Australia were lowered to half-mast to honour the victims, as the nation mourns a tragedy that shattered what had been a festive gathering at one of its most famous public spaces.
He had limited contact with his family in Hyderabad over the years, visiting India only six times, primarily for family-related reasons such as property matters and visits to his elderly parents.
The police added that his radicalisation and actions appeared to have no connection with India or any local influence in Telangana. Sajid carried an Indian passport, while his son Naveed Akram, 24 and daughter, born in Australia, are Australian citizens.
Telangana police also confirmed that Sajid Akram had no adverse record in India prior to his migration.
The attack unfolded on Sunday at Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach during a Hanukkah event, when Sajid Akram, 50 and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram opened fire on crowds from a raised pedestrian boardwalk.
Police said the attackers fired for nearly 10 minutes, triggering panic as families and tourists fled across the packed beachfront. Sajid Akram was shot dead in a gunfight with police at the scene, while Naveed was arrested and remains in hospital in a critical but stable condition under police guard.
Australian authorities have declared the shooting a terrorist incident. Investigators recovered improvised explosive devices and two homemade flags linked to the Islamic State (IS) from a vehicle registered in Naveed’s name. Police also seized multiple firearms, some of which Sajid legally owned under a recreational firearms licence.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the attackers were radicalised by an “ideology of hate”, adding that the attack was intended to terrorise Australia’s Jewish community. He described the shooting as “an act of pure evil, an act of antisemitism, and an act of terrorism.”
Security agencies are also probing the duo’s recent travel to the Philippines, where they reportedly stayed last month. Philippine immigration authorities confirmed that the men entered the country on November 1 and departed on November 28. Australian police said the purpose of the trip and reports of possible “military-style training” remain under investigation.
According to New South Wales Police, the two men had told family members they were going on a fishing trip but were instead staying at a short-term rental in Sydney’s Campsie suburb, where investigators later recovered additional firearms.
Australian intelligence agency ASIO had assessed Naveed Akram in 2019 due to concerns about his associations but did not classify him as an imminent threat at the time. Albanese said there was no intelligence failure.
Bondi Beach remained an active crime scene on Tuesday as forensic and ballistic investigations continued, though authorities said the area is expected to reopen by Wednesday afternoon.
The attack has reignited debate over gun laws in Australia, with the Prime Minister signalling possible tightening of firearms regulations, despite the country’s already strict gun control framework.
Flags across Australia were lowered to half-mast to honour the victims, as the nation mourns a tragedy that shattered what had been a festive gathering at one of its most famous public spaces.
Top Comment
S
Sun nee Roy
20 days ago
The literature is the main culprit. Unless the material which is used to brain wash each person ( whether doctor/engineer/scientist/pious lady) is analysed and the defects in the thought process brought out openly to people of the world , these type of incidents would continueRead allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'Don't play games with Trump': State department warns Iran in Persian post; calls US Prez 'man of action'
- Trump flips Monroe into Donroe: How US plans to reshape the Western Hemisphere — explained
- Delcy Rodriguez sworn in as Venezuela’s interim president following Maduro’s ouster
- Bangladesh crisis: Hindu scribe shot in head, throat slit; latest in spate of minority attacks
- 'I am still president': Venezuela's Maduro pleads not guilty in US court; first appearance after capture
end of article
Trending Stories
- VHT: Shreyas Iyer misses century, falls for 82 runs against Himachal Pradesh
- “You hold a true soul brother”: Conor McGregor’s heartwarming gesture in bone-chilling cold morning wins hearts of fans
- Days after his emotional retirement, John Cena's iconic rival pays tribute to him on WWE RAW Stranger Things episode
- Who is Anfereen Simons’ partner? Exploring Boston Celtics star guard’s love story and everything you need to know about it
- WWE RAW Results & Highlights 5-jan-2026: Stranger Things edition sees CM Punk retain his World title, two new champions crowned, and more
- Alex Pereira’s surprise gift brings his father to tears in touching family moment
- Toronto Blue Jays catcher Alejandro Kirk enjoys time off the field as wife Sofia Castaneda shares a family moment on Instagram
Featured in world
- Ramadan 2026 training tips: Inside the fasting playbook of elite Muslim athletes
- Scientists say a space explosion 13,000 years ago may have changed life on Earth
- UAE visa changes 2026 explained: New categories, sponsorship rules, easier entry for tourists
- Oman announces new fees for citizenship and nationality applications
- Taiwan detects 8 sorties of Chinese PLA aircraft, 7 naval vessels around its territory
- Ceasefire violation: Thailand accuses Cambodia of breaking 10-day truce; 1 Thai soldier wounded in border clash
Photostories
- 7 reasons why parents should avoid labelling children in families
- Why are stepwells a beautiful piece of history? From the oldest to the one which is a UNESCO heritage- 5 iconic stepwells
- 5 foods that become unsafe when reheated
- ‘Shark Tank India’ funniest moments: From hilarious pitches and savage roasts
- Baby boy names inspired by Indian sages
- 6 tasty ways to include avocado in your kid’s diet
- From US to India: 10 countries with the largest gold reserves
- Top gut health foods to add to your diet in 2026
- 5 signs you are emotionally invested more than your partner
- Winter Special: How to make classic Palak Paneer for lunch at home
Videos
10:20 Venezuela Under Attack: 80 Killed, Scores Wounded, Emergency Declared; Caracas Demands 'FREE MADURO'06:30 'End Of NATO': Denmark 'SURRENDERS' Greenland To U.S. As PM Admits Trump Serious About Takeover?06:47 Venezuela Orders Arrests as Maduro Faces U.S. Court & Diaspora Celebrates His Capture10:32 'Stop Bullying, Don't Act Like A Policeman': China Rains Fire On U.S. & Trump Over Maduro Abduction06:57 Venezuela On Edge: Army Shoots Down Drones Over Presidential Palace, Cops Deployed07:30 Minnesota Fraud Hits Tim Walz; Big Confession On Cam As Democrat Pulls Out Of Governor Race10:56 Venezuela Crisis: Gunfire, Explosions Near Presidential Palace In Caracas; Second U.S. Attack Underway?07:06 'Trump Needed No Approval From Cong': House Speaker Mike Johnson Defends U.S. Attack On Venezuela09:16 ‘Americans Must Get Out’: Jeffrey Sachs Confronts U.S. Envoy at UN Over Venezuela & Maduro Capture
Up Next