This story is from September 01, 2018
Prophet Muhammad’s contest cancelled: Pakistan claims victory; Dutch lawmaker says ‘not finished yet’
NEW DELHI: Tempers may have cooled down after the Dutch government cancelled a cartoon contest based on the Prophet Muhammad, however the Dutch lawmaker, who was responsible for the now-cancelled campaign, on Saturday warned Pakistan that he is 'not finished yet'.
Last month, protests erupted in Pakistan after
However, Wilders was forced to cancel the event in the wake of death threats and amidst concerns that the contest may put other people's life at risk.
Following the cancellation, Pakistan foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi hailed it as a 'victory' for the Muslim world. "Cancellation of the blasphemous contest is a great moral victory of Muslim Ummah," Qureshi said.
However, a defiant Wilders warned Qureshi, whose remark was posted on the official Twitter handle of the government of Pakistan, to not be too eager in calming a victory.
"I am not finished with you yet. I will expose your barbarism in many other ways," Wilders responded.
Last month, it was reported that a cartoon contest is being organized by Geert Wilders, a far-right Dutch lawmaker with a history of incendiary remarks about Islam. The Dutch government has distanced itself from the event while saying it is committed to free speech.
The reports of event enraged Islamists groups in Pakistan who announced that they will be marching towards the national capital, Islamabad, to register their protest. Emotions ran high in Pakistan, where blasphemy is punishable by death and where the mere accusation of it has prompted several cases of mob lynching.
Even the newly-elected government of Pakistan denounced the contest, calling it an attempt to defame Islam.
Pakistan's new prime minister, Imran Khan, largely sided with the protesters, vowing to take the matter to the United Nations. His government even summoned the Dutch ambassador to lodge a formal protest but has so far dismissed calls to expel the envoy.
On Tuesday, Dutch news reports had suggested that a man who was detained there on suspicion of threatening to attack Wilders and parliament was a Pakistani national. Police said they detained a 26-year-old suspect who is likely to be arraigned on Friday. Wilders has for years lived under round-the-clock security due to repeated death threats linked to his criticism of Islam.
A former Pakistani cricketer, Khalid Latif, has offered a $28,000 reward for anyone who would ``kill the Dutchmen'' behind the blasphemous contest.
Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has spoken with his Dutch counterpart about the “abominable and sacrilegious competition”, according to a statement released by the ministry.
“Such acts must be prevented as they spread hate and intolerance in societies,” he had said.
Saif Ali Khan Health Update
Last month, protests erupted in Pakistan after
Geert Wilders
, the far-right, anti-Muslim lawmaker from the Netherlands, announced that he will be sponsoring a cartoon contest based on Prophet Muhammad in November. Physical depictions of the prophet are forbidden in Islam and deeply offensive to Muslims.Following the cancellation, Pakistan foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi hailed it as a 'victory' for the Muslim world. "Cancellation of the blasphemous contest is a great moral victory of Muslim Ummah," Qureshi said.
However, a defiant Wilders warned Qureshi, whose remark was posted on the official Twitter handle of the government of Pakistan, to not be too eager in calming a victory.
The reports of event enraged Islamists groups in Pakistan who announced that they will be marching towards the national capital, Islamabad, to register their protest. Emotions ran high in Pakistan, where blasphemy is punishable by death and where the mere accusation of it has prompted several cases of mob lynching.
Even the newly-elected government of Pakistan denounced the contest, calling it an attempt to defame Islam.
Pakistan's new prime minister, Imran Khan, largely sided with the protesters, vowing to take the matter to the United Nations. His government even summoned the Dutch ambassador to lodge a formal protest but has so far dismissed calls to expel the envoy.
On Tuesday, Dutch news reports had suggested that a man who was detained there on suspicion of threatening to attack Wilders and parliament was a Pakistani national. Police said they detained a 26-year-old suspect who is likely to be arraigned on Friday. Wilders has for years lived under round-the-clock security due to repeated death threats linked to his criticism of Islam.
A former Pakistani cricketer, Khalid Latif, has offered a $28,000 reward for anyone who would ``kill the Dutchmen'' behind the blasphemous contest.
Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has spoken with his Dutch counterpart about the “abominable and sacrilegious competition”, according to a statement released by the ministry.
“Such acts must be prevented as they spread hate and intolerance in societies,” he had said.
Top Comment
Mohammad Tarique Khan
2327 days ago
We should be thankful to those persons who preserve the sanctity of Islam, the true religion to the guidance of mankind. In Islam, physical depiction or making Prophet''s images is prohibited. I hope our government of India where more Muslims than Pakistan breathe in Islamic atmosphere will also take action like Pakistan against the Dutch cartoonist who is with bad intention to tarnish the image of Islam. I request Indian Ministry under the Prime minister Narendra Modi to raise their sounds against the Dutch not to pollute the peaceful world atmosphere by putting hands in the mouths of powerful Muslims of the world. (Tariq Sohrab Ghazipuri)Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Donald Trump Jr is now told Bettina Anderson is not someone he should be around because of her past
- Jill Biden says she sent a private note to Melania after she declined tea invite: 'I offered help'
- Barack and Michelle Obama showed 'no signs of togetherness' on last outing: Body language expert on divorce rumors
- Canada limits family open work permits to enhance temporary resident program quality
- Trump nudges Vivek Ramaswamy to succeed JD Vance's senate seat from Ohio
end of article
Trending Stories
- 'Still trying to process': Kareena's first reaction after husband Saif Ali Khan stabbed
- 8th Pay Commission: How much salary hike can central government employees expect? Here’s a quick guide, calculations
- Donald Trump Jr is now told Bettina Anderson is not someone he should be around because of her past
- Jill Biden says she sent a private note to Melania after she declined tea invite: 'I offered help'
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos responds to Elon Musk congratulatory message with emoji
- 'You will never forget me': Brazilian national steals watches worth Rs 3.3 lakh from Bengaluru Airport store, flees after dropping filmy line
- Elon Musk: Tesla would have gone bankrupt if I had not ...
Visual Stories
- 9 reasons why the Spider plant is a complete blessing for the home
- 7 morning shots that help burn fat and reduce weight
- 8 beautiful climbing plants to add to the balcony garden
- 8 vitamins and minerals that are lost in cooking (and how to retain them)
- 10 saddest and heart-wrenching quotes from famous books
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT