‘Open war if … ’: Pakistan issues new warning to Afghanistan amid border tension; what Khawaja Asif said
Pakistan’s defence minister Khawaja Asif has warned that Islamabad will go into an “open war” with Afghanistan if the ongoing peace talks in Istanbul collapse, according to a report by TOLO News. The discussions are aimed at defusing weeks of cross-border tensions and deadly clashes between the two countries.
Speaking to reporters, Asif said there had been no fresh incidents along the border in recent days, suggesting that the Doha Agreement had been “somewhat effective.” However, he cautioned that the calm could be temporary if diplomacy fails to resolve long-standing disputes. Afghan officials have not yet responded to his remarks.
Focus on border tensions, refugees and trade restrictions
Delegations from both countries are in Istanbul for the second round of talks, which focus on strengthening the Doha Agreement, preventing cross-border attacks, and restoring bilateral trust. According to TOLO News, the negotiations are centred on four key issues: creating a joint border monitoring system, ensuring mutual respect for sovereignty, addressing Pakistan’s long-standing security concerns, and lifting trade barriers.
The dialogue also includes discussions on halting the forced deportation of Afghan refugees and preventing the refugee issue from becoming politicised. Pakistan recently began demolishing refugee camps in Balochistan, displacing thousands of Afghans. Camps in Loralai, Gardi Jungle, Saranan, Zhob, Qala-e-Saifullah, Pishin, and Muslim Bagh were cleared, with residents saying they were forced out abruptly without time to collect their belongings.
Asif reminded reporters that Pakistan had supported Afghanistan “for decades” by sheltering millions of migrants. “We have stood by them through the hardest times,” he said, adding that Islamabad’s patience was running thin after continued militant attacks allegedly originating from Afghan soil.
Background: Fragile ceasefire and ongoing mistrust
The Istanbul talks follow the first round of negotiations held in Doha on October 18 and 19, jointly mediated by Qatar and Turkiye. During those meetings, both sides agreed to an “immediate ceasefire” after intense border clashes that killed dozens.
Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said at the time that the follow-up discussions in Turkiye were meant to ensure “the sustainability of the ceasefire and verify its implementation in a reliable and sustainable manner.”
“A round of negotiations between the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Afghanistan was held in Doha, mediated by the State of Qatar and the Republic of Turkiye. During the negotiations, the two sides agreed to an immediate ceasefire and the establishment of mechanisms to consolidate lasting peace and stability between the two countries,” the Qatari statement said.
Rising tensions along the border
The flare-up between Islamabad and Kabul earlier this month began after Pakistan demanded that the Taliban government take stronger action against militants launching attacks from inside Afghanistan. In response, Pakistan carried out cross-border airstrikes, leading to heavy exchanges of fire that killed and injured dozens on both sides.
Taliban officials, however, rejected Islamabad’s claims. The Islamic Emirate said Afghan territory “is not being used to attack Pakistan” and that it “does not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries.” Kabul insisted it remains committed to maintaining peace and regional stability.
Despite recent calm, Pakistan’s warning of an “open war” has reignited concerns of a potential escalation between the two neighbours, who share deep historical, ethnic, and economic ties but remain divided over border security, militancy, and the treatment of refugees.
The outcome of the Istanbul talks is expected to determine whether the fragile ceasefire holds or if the region faces yet another round of hostilities.
(With inputs from ANI and TOLO news)
Focus on border tensions, refugees and trade restrictions
Delegations from both countries are in Istanbul for the second round of talks, which focus on strengthening the Doha Agreement, preventing cross-border attacks, and restoring bilateral trust. According to TOLO News, the negotiations are centred on four key issues: creating a joint border monitoring system, ensuring mutual respect for sovereignty, addressing Pakistan’s long-standing security concerns, and lifting trade barriers.
The dialogue also includes discussions on halting the forced deportation of Afghan refugees and preventing the refugee issue from becoming politicised. Pakistan recently began demolishing refugee camps in Balochistan, displacing thousands of Afghans. Camps in Loralai, Gardi Jungle, Saranan, Zhob, Qala-e-Saifullah, Pishin, and Muslim Bagh were cleared, with residents saying they were forced out abruptly without time to collect their belongings.
Asif reminded reporters that Pakistan had supported Afghanistan “for decades” by sheltering millions of migrants. “We have stood by them through the hardest times,” he said, adding that Islamabad’s patience was running thin after continued militant attacks allegedly originating from Afghan soil.
The Istanbul talks follow the first round of negotiations held in Doha on October 18 and 19, jointly mediated by Qatar and Turkiye. During those meetings, both sides agreed to an “immediate ceasefire” after intense border clashes that killed dozens.
Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said at the time that the follow-up discussions in Turkiye were meant to ensure “the sustainability of the ceasefire and verify its implementation in a reliable and sustainable manner.”
“A round of negotiations between the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Afghanistan was held in Doha, mediated by the State of Qatar and the Republic of Turkiye. During the negotiations, the two sides agreed to an immediate ceasefire and the establishment of mechanisms to consolidate lasting peace and stability between the two countries,” the Qatari statement said.
Rising tensions along the border
The flare-up between Islamabad and Kabul earlier this month began after Pakistan demanded that the Taliban government take stronger action against militants launching attacks from inside Afghanistan. In response, Pakistan carried out cross-border airstrikes, leading to heavy exchanges of fire that killed and injured dozens on both sides.
Taliban officials, however, rejected Islamabad’s claims. The Islamic Emirate said Afghan territory “is not being used to attack Pakistan” and that it “does not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries.” Kabul insisted it remains committed to maintaining peace and regional stability.
Despite recent calm, Pakistan’s warning of an “open war” has reignited concerns of a potential escalation between the two neighbours, who share deep historical, ethnic, and economic ties but remain divided over border security, militancy, and the treatment of refugees.
The outcome of the Istanbul talks is expected to determine whether the fragile ceasefire holds or if the region faces yet another round of hostilities.
(With inputs from ANI and TOLO news)
Top Comment
U
User Raj Kumar
4 days ago
But Afghanistan does not havee 8 jets for Pakistan to shoot down. But one can clearly see a pattern emergingg with t beligerent Hindutva working behind the scenes with the US (CIA) to provoke the Indians to engage in hostilities with Pakistan and Afghanistan in order to revive the hopeless and backward near bankrupt US economy. And India is playing up to it. Pakistan has nothing to lose. Their leadership will flee if push comes to shove. They may even trigger a pre emptive nuclear strike against India. The US will protect them under the leadership of the moron in the White House.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Billionaire Barry Sternlicht says Mamdani will turn New York City into Mumbai, his team considering leaving
- 'Don't have talented people': Is Donald Trump softening rules on aggressive H-1B visa? What he said
- Hongqi bridge collapses: Newly constructed bridge in China falls apart, splashes into river — watch
- Bahrain makes history: Meet Captain Fatima Nabeel, the first Bahraini woman to pilot world's largest commercial jet
- Saudi Arabia: King Salman calls on citizens to perform Istisqa prayer for rain on 13 November
end of article
Trending Stories
- Delhi Red Fort Blast Live Updates: Delhi, J&K hold candlelight march in solidarity with car blast victims
- Michael Duarte cause of death: How did the food influencer FoodWithBearHands die
- Delhi blast: Was Red Fort attack planned for January 26? What Faridabad doctor's phone revealed
- Red Fort blast a revenge strike: Jaish-e-Muhammed planned it after Operation Sindoor damaged Pakistan HQ
- Red Fort blast captured on CCTV: Exact moment when Hyundai i20 bursts into fireball on busy street packed with vehicles - watch
- 'She is my wife, nothing to hide': Rashid Khan clarifies viral photo, confirms marriage in heartfelt post
- CAT admit card 2025 released: Download from iimcat.ac.in for November 30 exam
Featured in world
- 'This is why everyone loves Dubai': Indian resident praises city after damaged road repaired in hours
- “I don’t have any patriotism for America”: Hasan Piker faces backlash after holding Chinese flag during livestream in Beijing
- Japan’s first female PM faces cultural dilemma: will Sanae Takaichi enter the sacred sumo ring?
- Abu Dhabi to Medina: Etihad Airways expands routes for pilgrims and travelers
- Saudi Arabia: Ministry of Education introduces appointment system for parent visits to public schools
- Michael Duarte cause of death: How did the food influencer FoodWithBearHands die
Photostories
- 5 times gentle parenting is not the best way out there
- Ishaan Khatter’s journey from Bollywood beginnings to international acclaim
- Explained: 10 must-know facts about Faridabad’s Al-Falah University
- In pictures: PM Modi meets victims at LNJP Hospital after Delhi blast tragedy; vows culprits won’t be spared
- Inside Mumbai’s bold ‘one metro’ plan: How city aims to end transport chaos forever
- 10 winter breakfasts from across India
- From Iriomote to Black-footed: 7 rare cat species across the planet
- Chennai–Vellore NH48 turns killer highway: Rs 1,500 crore, 13 years, and still unfinished
- Aryan Khan birthday special: Rare family photos of 'The Ba***ds of Bollywood' director
- Baby boy names inspired by the UK Royal family
Videos
04:19 Ukraine’s Foreign Fighter Base In Sumy Deals A Massive Blow, Hub Obliterated In Precision Strike08:26 ‘Dumb Trump Can’t…’: Newsom Mocks US President, Calls Him ‘Wannabe Xi’ At COP30 Brazil04:39 Venezuela Conducts Massive Military Drills Amid U.S. Carrier Presence | Plan ‘Independence 200’03:47 IDF’s Rare Action Against Israeli Settlers After Major Arson Attack In West Bank03:51 EU Chief To Set Up Brand New INTEL UNIT After Trump’s Freeze Amid Russia Threats04:51 Largest US Warship Moved Near Venezuela, Maduro RUSHES 200,000 Troops Amid War Threat03:16 Dramatic Video: Turkish Air Force Jet Spirals Into Earth, Crashes In Georgia | 20 Feared Dead04:13 Russia Bombs Ukraine’s Main Electronic Intelligence Center After MiG-31 Hijack Bid03:54 Russian Forces Capture Zaporizhzhia’s Novouspenovskoye | Heavy Ukrainian Losses Reported In 24 Hours
Up Next