This story is from November 06, 2021
Lahore high court acquits 6 JuD leaders in terror financing case
LAHORE: The
Saeed-led JuD is the front organisation for the proscribed Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the terror outfit responsible for carrying out the 2008 Mumbai attack that killed 166 people, including six Americans.
The anti-terrorism court in April this year had handed nine-year imprisonment each to JuD senior leaders – Prof. Malik Zafar Iqbal, Yahya Mujahid (JuD spokesperson), Nasarullah, Samiullah and Umar Bahadur - and six months' jail term to Hafiz Abdul Rehman Makki (brother-in-law of Saeed) after an FIR was registered by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of the Punjab Police.
The trial court had found these leaders guilty of terror financing. They had been collecting funds and unlawfully financing the proscribed organisation Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). It had also ordered the confiscation of assets made from funds collected through terrorism financing.
“On Saturday LHC's division bench comprising Chief Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti and Justice Tariq Saleem Sheikh set aside the trial court's decision in the CTD's FIR 18 of 2020 against the six JuD leaders after the prosecution failed to prove the charge against the appellants beyond reasonable doubt,” a court official told PTI.
The official said the division bench allowed the petition of the JuD leaders, observing “the statement of the ‘star prosecution witness' is not reliable as there is no corroboratory evidence.”
The counsel of the JuD leaders told the LHC that the Al-Anfaal Trust, of which the petitioners were members, has no “nexus with the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).”
The law officer argued that the trust in question was working as a “proxy for the LeT” and the appellants were office-bearers of the trust.
The JuD leaders were produced before the LHC amid strict security arrangements. They had been convicted in other terror financing cases and languishing at the Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore.
LeT founder Saeed has also been convicted in dozens of FIRs registered by the CTD on charges of terror financing. The CTD had registered as many as 41 FIRs against the leaders of the JuD in different cities. The trial courts have so far decided 37 of them.
The ATC has sentenced Saeed to collective imprisonment of 36 years on terror finance charges under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 in five cases so far. Saeed's jail terms will run concurrently meaning he will not stay in jail for many years.
He is serving his term in Lahore's Kot Lakhpat jail along with other convicted JuD leaders. He was arrested in July, 2019.
The US named Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the US, since 2012, has offered a $10-million reward for information that brings Saeed to justice. He was listed as a terrorist under the UN Security Council Resolution in 2008.
Lahore
high court on Saturday set aside a trial court's conviction and acquitted six senior leaders of Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed's banned Jamat-ud-Dawah (JuD
) in a terror financing case.The anti-terrorism court in April this year had handed nine-year imprisonment each to JuD senior leaders – Prof. Malik Zafar Iqbal, Yahya Mujahid (JuD spokesperson), Nasarullah, Samiullah and Umar Bahadur - and six months' jail term to Hafiz Abdul Rehman Makki (brother-in-law of Saeed) after an FIR was registered by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of the Punjab Police.
The trial court had found these leaders guilty of terror financing. They had been collecting funds and unlawfully financing the proscribed organisation Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). It had also ordered the confiscation of assets made from funds collected through terrorism financing.
“On Saturday LHC's division bench comprising Chief Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti and Justice Tariq Saleem Sheikh set aside the trial court's decision in the CTD's FIR 18 of 2020 against the six JuD leaders after the prosecution failed to prove the charge against the appellants beyond reasonable doubt,” a court official told PTI.
The official said the division bench allowed the petition of the JuD leaders, observing “the statement of the ‘star prosecution witness' is not reliable as there is no corroboratory evidence.”
The counsel of the JuD leaders told the LHC that the Al-Anfaal Trust, of which the petitioners were members, has no “nexus with the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).”
The JuD leaders were produced before the LHC amid strict security arrangements. They had been convicted in other terror financing cases and languishing at the Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore.
LeT founder Saeed has also been convicted in dozens of FIRs registered by the CTD on charges of terror financing. The CTD had registered as many as 41 FIRs against the leaders of the JuD in different cities. The trial courts have so far decided 37 of them.
The ATC has sentenced Saeed to collective imprisonment of 36 years on terror finance charges under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 in five cases so far. Saeed's jail terms will run concurrently meaning he will not stay in jail for many years.
He is serving his term in Lahore's Kot Lakhpat jail along with other convicted JuD leaders. He was arrested in July, 2019.
The US named Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the US, since 2012, has offered a $10-million reward for information that brings Saeed to justice. He was listed as a terrorist under the UN Security Council Resolution in 2008.
Top Comment
Devarajan Rangan
1111 days ago
This is called 'eye wash'. Once FATF meetings were over and rating provided, Pakistan has gone back to 'Accquital'. They had to show that 'they are acting against terror financing and money laundering. Otherwise their Rating would have been in trouble.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Ukraine war: With new hypersonic missile, Putin sends a warning to West
- Trump’s hush money case sentencing postponed indefinitely, granted permission to seek dismissal
- 'Dragon believer' Joe Rogan turns The View's Joy Behar’s critique into laugh fest
- Elon Musk denies Time magazine's cover page checklist featuring him: 'I am trying to make life multiplanetary'
- 'Controlled explosion' near US embassy, Gatwick Airport South Terminal 'security incident' puts UK on alert
end of article
Trending Stories
- Maharashtra elections 2024: Where and how to watch election vote counting live
- Maharashtra polls: Devendra Fadnavis-Mohan Bhagwat meet fuels murmurs on CM post
- Quarrel over local train seat, 16-year-old stabs man to death at Ghatkopar station
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce must adhere to the Chiefs' rules, including a pre-game sleepover ban
- 9 Ways to Build Confidence for Public Speaking at Any Age
- IND vs AUS 1st Test Live Streaming: When and Where to Watch India vs Australia Live in India, USA, and Australia
- No evidence linking PM Modi, Jaishankar, NSA Doval to criminal activity: Canada
Visual Stories
- 10 easy South Indian snacks for Friday evenings
- 7 genetic traits that babies get from their dad
- 10 good habits of parents that make kids disciplined
- 7 low-maintenance animals to keep as pets
- 10 Korean dishes that are getting popular in India
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT