This story is from April 22, 2022
Turkish court set to rule in trial of philanthropist Kavala
ISTANBUL: A Turkish court is expected to reach a verdict in a hearing beginning on Friday in a long-running case against philanthropist
Kavala, 64, has been in jail for 4-1/2 years without a conviction and denies the charges he faces over the
The European Court of Human Rights (
Prosecutor
Kavala and another defendant, whose case the prosecutor also said should be separated, are also accused of involvement in a coup attempt in 2016, which the ECHR said also lacks evidence.
The ECHR called for Kavala's release in late 2019 and ruled his detention serves to silence the philanthropist whose various civil society projects sought in recent decades to foster social change. But Turkish courts have not freed Kavala and Ankara now faces being suspended from the Council of Europe, a human rights watchdog, after "infringement proceedings" were launched due to his continued detention.
Embassies of Ankara's Western allies, including the United States and Germany, also echoed the ECHR call for Kavala's release last year, prompting threats by Erdogan to expel their ambassadors.
Kavala was acquitted in 2020 of charges related to the Gezi protests, but hours later another court ordered his arrest based on a charge of attempting to overthrow the constitutional order related to the coup attempt. That court later ruled to release him on that charge but ordered his detention on an espionage charge in the same case, a move critics said was aimed at circumventing the ECHR ruling.
Kavala's acquittal along with eight others in the Gezi trial was overturned last year and the case was combined with the other charges against him.
Osman Kavala
and 15 others that has strainedAnkara
's ties with Western allies.Gezi
protests in 2013 that began as a small protest in an Istanbul park and grew into nationwide anti-government unrest, in which eight protesters and two police officers were killed.The European Court of Human Rights (
ECHR
) and activists say the case is politically motivated and symbolic of a crackdown on dissent under PresidentTayyip Erdogan
's rule, claims the government denies.Prosecutor
Edip Sahiner
has requested thatKavala
and architectMucella Yapici
be convicted of attempting to overthrow the government through violence, which would carry a sentence of up to life in prison without parole. He said that six others should be sentenced for aiding them, while asking that the case against the eight other defendants be separated after not attending the hearings while abroad.Kavala and another defendant, whose case the prosecutor also said should be separated, are also accused of involvement in a coup attempt in 2016, which the ECHR said also lacks evidence.
Yapici
has been acquitted twice of charges related to Gezi protests. All defendants deny the charges, saying the Gezi protests were protected by constitutional rights.The ECHR called for Kavala's release in late 2019 and ruled his detention serves to silence the philanthropist whose various civil society projects sought in recent decades to foster social change. But Turkish courts have not freed Kavala and Ankara now faces being suspended from the Council of Europe, a human rights watchdog, after "infringement proceedings" were launched due to his continued detention.
Embassies of Ankara's Western allies, including the United States and Germany, also echoed the ECHR call for Kavala's release last year, prompting threats by Erdogan to expel their ambassadors.
Kavala's acquittal along with eight others in the Gezi trial was overturned last year and the case was combined with the other charges against him.
Popular from World
- Ousted Syrian leader Assad says he had planned to keep fighting but Russians evacuated him
- US sheriff sends drone to follow mysterious objects in New Jersey sky: Here's what happened next
- 'Trump's mass deportations to deliver a catastrophic blow to US economy'
- ‘Found ourselves at odds’: Canada’s deputy PM Chrystia Freeland resigns citing rift with Trudeau
- Watch: Rare Tornado tears through California, flips cars and uproots trees
end of article
Trending Stories
- US sheriff sends drone to follow mysterious objects: Here's what happened next
- OpenAI whistleblower Suchir Balaji found dead in San Francisco; Elon Musk reacts
- Travis Hunter's fiancée Leanna Lenee sparks controversy with her unexpected reaction during the Heisman Trophy ceremony, leaving fans questioning her intentions
- Baba Vanga's Predictions for 2025: A Deep Dive into the Mysterious Insights
- Elon Musk says even Microsoft founder Bill Gates will go bankrupt if ...
- Drone conspiracy uncovered! Former GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger reveals shocking truth behind New Jersey's 'mysterious' sightings
- Nearly 80 US colleges may face closure within 5 years, even as Ivy League schools see enrollment surge: Philadelphia Fed research shows
Visual Stories
- 7 smart ways to use turmeric for weight loss
- Foods you should never have in the morning with tea
- Fruits that have the highest iron content
- Best names starting with E for a baby girl
- 10 signs of a great digestive system
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment