'One of the architects of October 7 attack': Israel eliminates top Hamas commander Raad Saad; releases video of targeted strike
The Israeli military said it killed Raad Saad, a senior commander of Hamas’s Qassam Brigades, in a targeted strike on a car in the Gaza Strip on Saturday. According to Israeli authorities, Saad played a key role in planning the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, which triggered the ongoing two-year conflict in Gaza.
The strike marks the most high-profile assassination of a senior Hamas figure since a ceasefire was declared two months ago.
The strike targeted a vehicle travelling along Rashid Road on the Hamas-controlled side of the Gaza ceasefire line, Palestinian media reported, citing four people killed and more than 20 injured.
In a joint statement, Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and defence minister Israel Katz said Raad Saad was killed in retaliation for an earlier incident in which two Israeli troops were injured by an explosive in southern Gaza.
Saad “was one of the architects of the October 7 massacre and in recent days had been engaged in restoring the terror organization and in planning and carrying out attacks against Israel, as well as rebuilding an attack force, in blatant violation of the ceasefire rules and Hamas’s commitments to respect President [Donald] Trump’s plan,” Netanyahu and Katz stated, as cited by Times of Israel.
Netanyahu stated that he and the defence minister had personally authorized the operation to assassinate Saad.
Saad, a long-time Hamas member, had gradually risen through the ranks to become the second-in-command of the group’s armed wing, according to two Arab intelligence officials, as cited by NYT.
According to the Israeli military, Saad founded and commanded Hamas’s Gaza City Brigade and played a key role in establishing the group’s naval force. He was later appointed chief of Hamas’s operations headquarters.
In that role, Saad helped plan the group’s operation to infiltrate Israel and target the IDF’s Gaza Division, known to the military as “Jericho’s Walls.” The operation was launched on October 7, 2023, triggering the ongoing conflict in Gaza.
Saad, as operations chief, helped establish Hamas’s elite Nukhba Force, which led the October 7 invasion of Israel. In 2021, he was removed from his position as operations chief by then-Hamas leader in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar, reportedly due to personal disagreements.
Following his dismissal, Saad continued to serve in other roles within Hamas’s military wing, most recently as chief of the group’s weapons manufacturing headquarters and as a deputy to Hamas’s most recent military chief, Izz al-Din Hadadd.
Saad survived multiple Israeli assassination attempts, including the most recent in June 2024. He was reportedly at Gaza City’s Shifa Hospital during an Israeli raid in March of that year but is believed to have escaped unharmed.
Saad’s arrests date back decades: he was jailed by Israel in 1990 for his involvement with Hamas and later detained by the Palestinian Authority in the late 1990s, as cited by Times of Israel.
The assassination of Saad could further strain the fragile truce between Israel and Hamas, which has already been tested by repeated bouts of violence.
The truce has not fully halted the fighting. According to local health officials, Israeli attacks have killed more than 300 Palestinians, including children, since the agreement took effect. The Israeli military reports that at least three Israeli soldiers have also been killed in combat.
The strike targeted a vehicle travelling along Rashid Road on the Hamas-controlled side of the Gaza ceasefire line, Palestinian media reported, citing four people killed and more than 20 injured.
In a joint statement, Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and defence minister Israel Katz said Raad Saad was killed in retaliation for an earlier incident in which two Israeli troops were injured by an explosive in southern Gaza.
Saad “was one of the architects of the October 7 massacre and in recent days had been engaged in restoring the terror organization and in planning and carrying out attacks against Israel, as well as rebuilding an attack force, in blatant violation of the ceasefire rules and Hamas’s commitments to respect President [Donald] Trump’s plan,” Netanyahu and Katz stated, as cited by Times of Israel.
Who was Raad Saad?
Saad, a long-time Hamas member, had gradually risen through the ranks to become the second-in-command of the group’s armed wing, according to two Arab intelligence officials, as cited by NYT.
According to the Israeli military, Saad founded and commanded Hamas’s Gaza City Brigade and played a key role in establishing the group’s naval force. He was later appointed chief of Hamas’s operations headquarters.
In that role, Saad helped plan the group’s operation to infiltrate Israel and target the IDF’s Gaza Division, known to the military as “Jericho’s Walls.” The operation was launched on October 7, 2023, triggering the ongoing conflict in Gaza.
Saad, as operations chief, helped establish Hamas’s elite Nukhba Force, which led the October 7 invasion of Israel. In 2021, he was removed from his position as operations chief by then-Hamas leader in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar, reportedly due to personal disagreements.
Following his dismissal, Saad continued to serve in other roles within Hamas’s military wing, most recently as chief of the group’s weapons manufacturing headquarters and as a deputy to Hamas’s most recent military chief, Izz al-Din Hadadd.
Saad survived multiple Israeli assassination attempts, including the most recent in June 2024. He was reportedly at Gaza City’s Shifa Hospital during an Israeli raid in March of that year but is believed to have escaped unharmed.
Saad’s arrests date back decades: he was jailed by Israel in 1990 for his involvement with Hamas and later detained by the Palestinian Authority in the late 1990s, as cited by Times of Israel.
The assassination of Saad could further strain the fragile truce between Israel and Hamas, which has already been tested by repeated bouts of violence.
The truce has not fully halted the fighting. According to local health officials, Israeli attacks have killed more than 300 Palestinians, including children, since the agreement took effect. The Israeli military reports that at least three Israeli soldiers have also been killed in combat.
Top Comment
S
Sunil Kumar
6 days ago
This is called revenge. No mercy, no consideration. India should follow the suit. Chaise and eliminate even if Pak sponsored terrorists even if they are hiding in their mothers' womb. Jai HindRead allPost comment
Popular from World
- Epstein files opened: Woman reported Jeffrey's interest in 'child pornography' to FBI in 1996; recalled seeing Trump at NY office
- Bangladesh unrest: Protestors break through barricades and enter Parliament building after youth leader Sharif Osman Hadi’s funeral; watch
- In a first, Elon Musk’s net worth tops $700 billion – here’s how the tech titan did it
- 'Bill Clinton skinny dipping with a pedophile': Newly released Epstein files reveal shocking images – See photos
- 'This is New Zealand, not India': Christian group performing haka confronts Sikh parade in Auckland — video
end of article
Trending Stories
- India T20 WC squad announcement:'Combinations more than anything else' - Agarkar on Gill's omission
- India squad for T20 World Cup: Shubman Gill dropped; Ishan Kishan included in 15-member squad
- Epstein files drop: Spoiler alert - it’s mostly ████████
- Taylor Swift reportedly feels "calmer" and more grounded with Travis Kelce ahead of lavish wedding next year
- Matthew Stafford’s car collection: Inside Los Angeles Rams QB’s $4M ultra luxurious car garage
02:28 Assam tragedy: Rajdhani Express hits herd of elephants, killing seven; five coaches, engine derail- 'I know what to do': After Shubman Gill's omission from T20 World Cup squad, captain Suryakumar Yadav speaks up on his own form
Featured in world
- H-1B, H-4 visa delays: Immigration lawyer shares advice for workers, families and spouses waiting to return; 'They cannot risk...'
- Watch: Trump goes off-topic and talks about wife Melania's undergarments
- JD Vance wanted to release the Epstein files in 2021. What happened now?
- Epstein files: Democrats claim DOJ deleted photo of Donald Trump – What happened to file 468?
- 'Bill Clinton skinny dipping with a pedophile': Newly released Epstein files reveal shocking images – See photos
- In a first, Elon Musk’s net worth tops $700 billion – here’s how the tech titan did it
Photostories
- Tea Time Snack: How to make zero-sugar Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Bharti Singh turned emotional as her water bag broke before delivery; shared, “Mujhe Bahot Darr Lag Raha Hai”
- 8 Foods that can help manage blood sugar levels in Diabetes
- 10 best destinations near Delhi/NCR to plan your last-minute New Year getaway
- From Sunil Grover to Rupali Ganguly: This is what your favorite TV actors did before getting limelight
- Blurred vision or eye strain? These signs mean you need an eye check-up
- 12 food combinations that can slow down parents' aging
- Winter Snack: How to make Dhokla in a pressure cooker
- 8 Stoic life lessons from "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius
- Not just cold or cough: Doctor shares common triggers that can cause a sore throat
Videos
12:26 Russian Forces WIPE OUT 1400+ Ukrainian Troops In A Day, 'Capture' Sumy, Donetsk Villages05:59 Trump 'DUMPS' Elise Stefanik As NY Governor; GOP Star Abandons Political Future | What Went Wrong?11:31 ‘UNDER 18 ONLY’: Epstein Verified Girls’ Age Before Abuse, Wanted His Own HAREM: DOJ Dump Reveals07:52 Putin Ready To Stop War For Ukraine Elections But Zelensky Rejects Offer | 'Not Your Decision'08:26 US 'War Teaser': Trump's Warships, Jets 'ENCIRCLE' Venezuela; Satellites Map Military Buildup10:06 Medvedev Rips Ursula, Merz, Macron’s ‘Summit Of Thieves’ After Putin's Warning To EU07:56 Israeli Fire Kills Five In Gaza, Including Baby, As Ceasefire Breach Claims Mount08:02 Angry French Farmers Protest Cattle Culls & EU-Mercosur Deal, Disrupt Roads and Government07:25 Trump Rants About FBI Ruining Melania’s Underwear Drawer In Mar-a-Lago Raid | ‘Very Bad…Strange’
Up Next