Lebanese army warns Israeli airstrikes might force it to freeze cooperation with ceasefire committee
The Lebanese army condemned Friday Israel's airstrikes on suburbs of Beirut, warning that such attacks are weakening the role of Lebanon's armed forces that might eventually suspend cooperation with the committee monitoring the truce that ended the Israel-Hezbollah war.
The army statement came hours after the Israeli military struck several buildings in Beirut's southern suburbs that it said held underground facilities used by Hezbollah for drone production. The strikes, preceded by an Israeli warning to evacuate several buildings, came on the eve of Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday.
The Lebanese army said it started coordinating with the committee observing the ceasefire after Israel's military issued its warning and sent patrols to the areas that were to be struck to search them. It added that Israel rejected the suggestion.
The US-led committee that has been supervising the ceasefire that ended the 14-month Israel-Hezbollah war in November is made up of Lebanon, Israel, France, the US and the UN peacekeeping forces in Lebanon known as UNIFIL.
"The Israeli enemy violations of the deal and its refusal to respond to the committee is weakening the role of the committee and the army," the Lebanese army said in its statement. It added such attacks by Israel could lead the army to freeze its cooperation with the committee "when it comes to searching posts."
Since the Israel-Hezbollah war ended, Israel has carried out nearly daily airstrikes on parts of Lebanon targeting Hezbollah operatives. Beirut's southern suburbs were struck on several occasions since then.
The conflict between Hezbollah and Israel began on Oct. 8, 2023, when the Lebanese militant group began launching rockets across the border in support of its ally, Hamas, in Gaza. Israel responded with airstrikes and shelling and the two were quickly locked in a low-level conflict that continued for nearly a year before escalating into full-scale war in September 2024.
It killed more than 4,000 people in Lebanon, including hundreds of civilians, while the Lebanese government said in April that Israeli strikes had killed another 190 people and wounded 485 since the ceasefire agreement.
There has been increasing pressure on Hezbollah, both domestic and international, to give up its remaining arsenal, but officials with the group have said they will not do so until Israel stops its airstrikes and withdraws from five points it is still occupying along the border in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah says that it has ended its military presence along the border with Israel south of the Litani River, in accordance with terms of the ceasefire deal.
The Lebanese army said it started coordinating with the committee observing the ceasefire after Israel's military issued its warning and sent patrols to the areas that were to be struck to search them. It added that Israel rejected the suggestion.
The US-led committee that has been supervising the ceasefire that ended the 14-month Israel-Hezbollah war in November is made up of Lebanon, Israel, France, the US and the UN peacekeeping forces in Lebanon known as UNIFIL.
"The Israeli enemy violations of the deal and its refusal to respond to the committee is weakening the role of the committee and the army," the Lebanese army said in its statement. It added such attacks by Israel could lead the army to freeze its cooperation with the committee "when it comes to searching posts."
Since the Israel-Hezbollah war ended, Israel has carried out nearly daily airstrikes on parts of Lebanon targeting Hezbollah operatives. Beirut's southern suburbs were struck on several occasions since then.
The conflict between Hezbollah and Israel began on Oct. 8, 2023, when the Lebanese militant group began launching rockets across the border in support of its ally, Hamas, in Gaza. Israel responded with airstrikes and shelling and the two were quickly locked in a low-level conflict that continued for nearly a year before escalating into full-scale war in September 2024.
There has been increasing pressure on Hezbollah, both domestic and international, to give up its remaining arsenal, but officials with the group have said they will not do so until Israel stops its airstrikes and withdraws from five points it is still occupying along the border in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah says that it has ended its military presence along the border with Israel south of the Litani River, in accordance with terms of the ceasefire deal.
Popular from World
- Pakistan's demand to chair 4 UN terror-related panels snubbed, finally given only one
- 'Riots, looters ... will be solved': Trump admin steps in; deploys 2,000 soldiers as protests against ICE raids escalate in LA- top developments
- 'These are Muslim values, these are Canadian values': PM Mark Carney trolled on social media for his Eid message
- 'Should do all it can': Pakistan delegation gets earful; US lawmaker tells Bilawal Bhutto to eliminate Jaish-e-Mohammad
- 22-year-old to lead DHS office: Trump picks ex-gardener Thomas Fugate to head prevention team; MAGA ties and little experience in security
end of article
Trending Stories
- 'I can't play as an Impact Player': Virat Kohli's powerful statement sparks speculation - was he taking a dig at someone?
- Wayne Gretzky sparks controversy by accusing Florida Panthers of buying success with tax loopholes
- Tech jobs: Microsoft CEO's advice for Computer Science students; All of us..
- 22-year-old to lead DHS office: Trump picks ex-gardener Thomas Fugate to head prevention team; MAGA ties and little experience in security
- Google's next CEO: Pichai hints at AI leadership; says 'Whoever is running it will have...
08:21 G7 Summit: 'Strong push from G6 to have India at table'; why Canada couldn't ignore PM Modi- "Not knowing Calvin is wild": New York Giants rookie Cam Skattebo leaves NFL fans in disbelief after failing to recognize NFL legends in viral quiz
Featured in world
- Weapons, control rooms and more: What Israel found in underground tunnel beneath Gaza hospital- video
- ‘His heart is in the right place’: Vance defends Musk calling him emotional, says Trump’s response measured
- Trump ropes in Palantir to compile data on Americans
- 'Devil in the Ozarks': Fugitive killer and ex-police chief Grant Hardin recaptured near Arkansas; moved to higher security facility
- Ukraine denies postponing POW swaps as Russian strike kills three
- Trump blasts LA, Newsom over riots: Vows federal action; 118 arrested in ICE raids - top developments
Visual Stories
- 10 fiber-rich dishes one can make with Spinach
- Dazzling pics of Aishwarya Lekshmi
- Top 10 Fried Rice dishes to try
- Sushmita Sen’s steal-worthy saree looks that make a strong style statement
- From Hogwarts to Hollywood: Where the Harry Potter Stars Are Today
Photostories
- Farmer finds a diamond after the first rain in field, causes a treasure hunting frenzy for locals
- From Buransh to Brahma Kamal: Unique flowers from the hills and where they are found
- 5 diseases caused by rats
- Want to age gracefully like a movie star? Shilpa Shetty and John Abraham’s fitness coach reveals 3 simple techniques to slow ageing
- Gorgeous ethnic sets from Sonam Bajwa’s wardrobe
- Jennifer Aniston’s workout secret isn’t what you think (her trainer reveals the fitness rules she swears by)
- From Hogwarts to Hollywood: Where the Harry Potter Stars Are Today
- Vitamin D deficiency: Early signs your body is begging for sunshine
- Eye stroke alert: Ozempic linked to rare vision-loss condition
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment