This story is from August 05, 2021
After drone strike on oil tanker, Israel says prepared to attack Iran
TEL AVIV, ISRAEL: Israel’s defense minister warned Thursday that his country is prepared to strike Iran, issuing the threat against the Islamic Republic after a fatal drone strike on a oil tanker at sea that his nation blamed on Tehran.
The comments by Benny Gantz come as Israel lobbies countries for action at the United Nations over last week’s attack on the oil tanker Mercer Street that killed two people. The tanker, struck off Oman in the Arabian Sea, is managed by a firm owned by an Israeli billionaire.
The US and the United Kingdom also blamed Iran for the attack, but no country has offered evidence or intelligence to support the claim. Iran, which along with its regional militia allies has launched similar drone attacks, has denied being involved.
Speaking to the news website Ynet, Gantz responded to whether Israel was prepared to attack Iran with a blunt “yes.”
“We are at a point where we need to take military action against Iran,” Gantz said. “The world needs to take action against Iran now.”
From Tehran, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh described Gantz’s threat as “another brazen violation of Int’l law” and “malign behavior” that allegedly stems from Israel’s blind support for the West.
He tweeted: “We state this clearly: ANY foolish act against Iran will be met with a DECISIVE response. Don’t test us.”
On Wednesday, in a letter to the
“This regime has a long dark record in attacking commercial navigation and civilian ships,” Zahra Ershadi wrote. “In less than two years, this regime has attacked over 10 commercial vessels carrying oil and humanitarian goods destined to Syria.”
Ershadi’s comments refer to an ongoing shadow war being waged in Mideast waterways since 2019 that has seen both Iranian and Western-linked ships attacked.
The latest provocation occurred earlier this week, when hijackers stormed an asphalt tanker off the coast of the United Arab Emirates in the Gulf of Oman, briefly seizing the vessel before departing on Wednesday. No one claimed responsibility for the incident, although recorded radio communication from the ship shared with The Associated Press revealed one of the crew members saying that armed Iranians had boarded the Asphalt Princess.
In response to a request for comment, the
“We are troubled by the temporary forcible seizure of the
Iran has denied involvement in the incident, calling all the recent maritime escalations in the region as “completely suspicious.”
Last week’s attack on the Mercer Street killed the vessel’s Romanian captain as well as a British crew member who worked for Ambrey, a maritime security firm. In a statement Thursday, Ambrey identified the victim as Adrian Underwood, a former soldier in the British Army who started at the firm as a maritime security officer in 2020 before becoming a team leader.
“We continue to be in contact with Adrian’s family to offer support at this sad and difficult time,” said John Thompson, Ambrey’s management director.
The attacks began a year after then-President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers, which saw Iran limit its enrichment of uranium in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. President Joe Biden has said he’s willing to rejoin the accord, but talks over salvaging the deal have stalled in Vienna.
The US and the United Kingdom also blamed Iran for the attack, but no country has offered evidence or intelligence to support the claim. Iran, which along with its regional militia allies has launched similar drone attacks, has denied being involved.
Speaking to the news website Ynet, Gantz responded to whether Israel was prepared to attack Iran with a blunt “yes.”
“We are at a point where we need to take military action against Iran,” Gantz said. “The world needs to take action against Iran now.”
From Tehran, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh described Gantz’s threat as “another brazen violation of Int’l law” and “malign behavior” that allegedly stems from Israel’s blind support for the West.
He tweeted: “We state this clearly: ANY foolish act against Iran will be met with a DECISIVE response. Don’t test us.”
U.N. Security Council
, Iran’s deputy ambassador to the United Nations described Israel as “the main source of instability and insecurity in the Middle East and beyond for more than seven decades.”“This regime has a long dark record in attacking commercial navigation and civilian ships,” Zahra Ershadi wrote. “In less than two years, this regime has attacked over 10 commercial vessels carrying oil and humanitarian goods destined to Syria.”
Ershadi’s comments refer to an ongoing shadow war being waged in Mideast waterways since 2019 that has seen both Iranian and Western-linked ships attacked.
The latest provocation occurred earlier this week, when hijackers stormed an asphalt tanker off the coast of the United Arab Emirates in the Gulf of Oman, briefly seizing the vessel before departing on Wednesday. No one claimed responsibility for the incident, although recorded radio communication from the ship shared with The Associated Press revealed one of the crew members saying that armed Iranians had boarded the Asphalt Princess.
In response to a request for comment, the
United States Central Command
, known as CENTCOM, put the blame squarely on Iran on Thursday.“We are troubled by the temporary forcible seizure of the
M/V Asphalt Princess
by Iranian gunmen,” saidU.S. Air Force Maj
Nicole Ferrara, a CENTCOM spokesman. “We are looking into the incident, but do not have an understanding of what the Iranians were doing at this time, or why they would impede the transit of this legitimate commercial vessel.”Iran has denied involvement in the incident, calling all the recent maritime escalations in the region as “completely suspicious.”
Last week’s attack on the Mercer Street killed the vessel’s Romanian captain as well as a British crew member who worked for Ambrey, a maritime security firm. In a statement Thursday, Ambrey identified the victim as Adrian Underwood, a former soldier in the British Army who started at the firm as a maritime security officer in 2020 before becoming a team leader.
“We continue to be in contact with Adrian’s family to offer support at this sad and difficult time,” said John Thompson, Ambrey’s management director.
The attacks began a year after then-President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers, which saw Iran limit its enrichment of uranium in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. President Joe Biden has said he’s willing to rejoin the accord, but talks over salvaging the deal have stalled in Vienna.
Top Comment
Abbas Golaftab
1200 days ago
Attack if u have the guts,Israel could not fight hamas forget Iran,baby Israel nows they have full backing of USA and Europe otherwise they would not dare to threaten Iran forget attackingRead allPost comment
Popular from World
- Ali Khamenei’s son Mojtaba set to take over as Iran's supreme leader: Report
- Hollywood screenwriter C Jay Cox caught in sexual encounter with minor in sting operation
- Pentagon in turmoil: Trump reportedly plans to fire senior military leaders who prioritized DEI
- Bill Clinton opens up about Monica Lewinsky, Epstein in memoir: 'Frustration', 'regret'
- Bangladesh will seek extradition of former PM Hasina: Yunus
end of article
Trending Stories
- Taylor Swift may have no desire to return to Higmark Stadium to support Travis Kelce after feeling the full wrath of Bills Mafia in January
- Delhi Chief Minister Atishi orders online classes for all students, except Class 10 and 12, as the national capital enforces GRAP Stage-IV
- GRAP-IV curbs imposed in Delhi from Monday as air quality deteriorates to 'severe plus' category
- Kailash Gahlot resigns: Delhi CM Atishi to handle his departments, proposal sent to LG
- A-list celebrities at Diddy's 'Freak-Off Parties' face legal pressure, read here
- Watch: Allu Arjun and Rashmika Mandanna's 'Pushpa 2: The Rule' trailer out
- Dehradun accident: What happened in the last moments before 6 friends died in horrific car crash
Visual Stories
- 10 easy South Indian snacks for Friday evenings
- 7 genetic traits that babies get from their dad
- 10 good habits of parents that make kids disciplined
- 7 low-maintenance animals to keep as pets
- 10 Korean dishes that are getting popular in India
UP NEXT