Iran Protests Live Updates: Iran temporarily closes airspace to most flights; IndiGo, Air India issue advisory
THE TIMES OF INDIA | Jan 15, 2026, 07:35:02 IST
Comments
Share

Iran Protests Live Updates: Iran temporarily closes airspace to most flights; IndiGo, Air India issue advisory

Iran protests live updates: Over 2000 people have been killed, including security personnel, in the ongoing protest in country, according to Iraninan officials.
Amidst the unrest Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian addressed the nation on Sunday. In his address he assured the people that officials will heed to their demands and concerns. But he alos warned that country's enemies were attempting to sow chaos and disorder in the country and blamed US and Israel for the same. Pezeshkian also presented an economic plan to provide some relief as the sanctions hit nations ecomony continues to be in fragile state.

Earlier, Iran's supreme leader Khamenei addressed the nation amid unrest and said that "some rioters" wanted to "please" US President Donald Trump.

Iran witnessed a sharp escalation in nationwide protests as authorities imposed sweeping communication restrictions, cutting internet access and telephone services across large parts of the country. The shutdown came amid intensifying demonstrations against economic hardship, marking nearly two weeks of sustained unrest driven by inflation, currency collapse and public anger at the ruling establishment.

Violent clashes between protesters and security forces were reported in several cities, with footage circulating online before the blackout showing the use of tear gas, gunfire and stone-throwing. Rights groups said protesters also set fire to government buildings in some areas as the uprising entered its 12th day. According to the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, at least 42 people have been killed so far and more than 2,270 detained. Iranian authorities have acknowledged the deaths of several security personnel.

The internet shutdown, reported by NetBlocks and Cloudflare, left over 85 million people effectively cut off from the outside world. International phone calls, including those routed via Dubai, failed to connect. Such blackouts have historically preceded harsher crackdowns by Iranian authorities. State television did not mention the outage, instead focusing on food subsidy announcements during its morning broadcast.

Exiled Iranian crown prince Reza Pahlavi strongly condemned the government’s actions, accusing it of deliberately silencing citizens demanding political and economic change. In a post on X, he urged the international community to use all available technical, financial and diplomatic means to restore communications so that the voices of Iranians could be heard.

The protests have also drawn sharp reactions from the United States. President Donald Trump warned Iran’s leadership against using deadly force on protesters, threatening severe consequences if killings occur. Vice President JD Vance reiterated Washington’s support for peaceful demonstrators, while the US State Department issued an unusually blunt message in Persian directed at Iran’s leadership.

The unrest began on December 28, initially sparked by Tehran shopkeepers protesting the rapid fall of the Iranian rial. Inflation has hovered around 40 percent, while recent fuel price hikes and changes to exchange-rate policies have pushed up the cost of basic goods. University students later joined the demonstrations, which spread across all 31 provinces, with chants increasingly targeting Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

As international pressure mounts and communication blackouts tighten, the situation inside Iran remains volatile, with no clear indication of how the standoff between protesters and the state will unfold.
18:39 (IST) Jan 13
EU vows swift sanctions on Iran over 'horrifying' casualties
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said on Tuesday that Brussels would "swiftly" propose new sanctions on Iran, after a dramatic increase in casualties from a crackdown on mass protests.

"The rising number of casualties in Iran is horrifying. I unequivocally condemn the excessive use of force and continued restriction of freedom," she posted online. "Further sanctions on those responsible for the repression will be swiftly proposed," she added.

The EU has expressed its backing for Iranians participating in the nationwide protests that pose one of the biggest challenges to the clerical leadership since the 1979 Islamic revolution ousted the shah.

The EU has already sanctioned several hundred Iranian officials over crackdowns on previous protest movements and Tehran's support for Russia's war on Ukraine.

There have been calls for the EU to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps a "terrorist" organisation -- but so far Brussels has argued it does not have the legal grounds to make that move.

In her post online, von der Leyen reiterated that the EU has already placed the Revolutionary Guards on an asset freeze and visa ban blacklist over rights abuses.

It came as Reuters on Tuesday reported citing an Iranian official that about 2000 people have been killed since the portests erupted in Iran. The casualities also include security personnels.
17:35 (IST) Jan 13
European nations summon Iranian ambassadors
Three European nations have summoned their respective Iranian ambassadors amidst the regime's crackdown on protests in the country.

'Excessive violence against protesters'

Dutch foreign minister David van Weel says he summoned the Iranian ambassador "to formally protest the excessive violence against protesters, large-scale arbitrary arrests and internet shutdowns."

He says the move was done "in coordination" with European partners.

'To kill and oppress in silence'

Finland has also summoned the Iranian ambassador, with the country's foreign minister Elina Valtonen saying:

"Iran's regime has shut down the internet to be able to kill and oppress in silence."

Separately, Finnish police said yesterday two people tore down the Iranian flag at the country's embassy in Helsinki.

Spain's foreign ministry also summoned the ambassador in Madrid.

The government demanded that Tehran end the communications blackout and arrest of protesters.
16:59 (IST) Jan 13
Iran protest live: 'Have some shame' says Araghchi
Araghchi has attempted to draw links with the treatment of Iran and Israel regarding its war in Gaza.

He criticised the European Parliament for not banning Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu, while banning his own diplomats.

Then, in response to German Chancellor Friedrich Merz's latest comments that the "Iraninan regime in its last days", Araghchi draws a similar comparison between Berlin's treatment of Israel and Iran.

He added: "My German counterpart's lecture about 'human rights' and 'legitimacy' is equally meaningless as his employer has done nothing to uphold either. Do us all a favor: have some shame," reported SKY News.
16:53 (IST) Jan 13
Iran protest live: Araghchi goes on the offensive on social media
Iran's foreign minister Abbas Araghchi who has been responding to some of the most recent developments has condemned the decision by the European Parliament yesterday to ban Iran's diplomats from the premises and also criticised Germany for its most recent comments about the protests.

While Iran is gripped by an internet blackout, the senior members of the regime, and its leader, have continued to use social media to try and spread their claims.


16:38 (IST) Jan 13
Iran protests live: UN human rights chief 'horrified' over situation in Iran
The UN human ‍rights chief said on ​Tuesday that he was "horrified" by mounting ⁠violence by Iran's security forces against peaceful protesters, with the UN citing its own sources as saying that ‌hundreds have ‌been killed so far.

The Islamic Republic's clerical authorities are facing ‌the biggest demonstrations since 2022 and on Sunday a rights group said that unrest has killed more than 500 people. An Iranian official indicated on Tuesday ​it was higher, at around ​2,000.

"This cycle of horrific violence cannot continue. ‌The Iranian ‍people and their demands for fairness, ‍equality and justice must be heard," UN ‌high commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said in a statement read out by UN rights office spokesperson Jeremy Laurence.

Asked to comment on the scale of the killings, Laurence, citing the United Nations' sources in Iran, ‍said: "The number that we're hearing is hundreds."

Turk also voiced concern that the death ‍penalty might ⁠be used ⁠against thousands of protesters who have been arrested.

The unrest has prompted US President Donald Trump to reissue threats to intervene militarily on behalf of Iran's protesters.

"There's concern that (the protests) have been instrumentalised, and they shouldn't be instrumentalised by anyone," said Laurence on a possible US intervention.
16:19 (IST) Jan 13
Iran protests live: Qatar warns any US-Iran escalation would be 'catastrophic' for region
Qatar said Tuesday any military escalation between the United States and Iran would have grave consequences for the region, after Washington threatened strikes in response to a government crackdown on protests in the Islamic republic.

"We know that any escalation... would have catastrophic results in the region and beyond, and therefore we want to avoid that as much as possible," Qatar's foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said at a press conference in Doha, reported AFP.
16:11 (IST) Jan 13
Iran protests live: About 2000 killed in protest
An Iranian official says about 2000 people have been killed, including security personnel in the ongoing protest in the country. Official blamed the "terrorists" for the deaths, reported Reuters.
15:01 (IST) Jan 13
Spain summons Iran ambassador over protest crackdown
14:00 (IST) Jan 13
German chancellor says Iran regime living its 'last days'
"When a regime can only hold on to power through violence, then it is effectively finished," Merz told reporters in Bengaluru during visit to India.
13:12 (IST) Jan 13
Iran nationwide internet shutdown has now lasted over 108 hours: monitor
12:51 (IST) Jan 13
China says will 'safeguard' interests after Trump tariff threat over Iran
11:51 (IST) Jan 13
Iran restores international calls after days of shutdown amid protests
11:19 (IST) Jan 13
'Stop deceitful actions': Khamenei warns US politicians amid Trump's threats to Iran
10:54 (IST) Jan 13
Global internet access will remain restricted until security fully restored, says Iran's cyber authority
10:03 (IST) Jan 13
Iran's exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi calls on internet providers to help protesters
09:05 (IST) Jan 13
Trump briefed on military, cyber, psychological options against Iran amid nationwide protests
Amid escalating anti-governmental protests in Iran and Washington issuing warnings to Tehran over its treatment of the protestors, US President Donald Trump on Monday (local time) was briefed on a broad range of military and covert options that could be employed against the Islamic Republic, extending well beyond conventional airstrikes, CBS News reported, citing two US Defence Department officials.
08:14 (IST) Jan 13
‘Prepared for war, open to talks’: Iran foreign minister
07:33 (IST) Jan 13
Trump says Iran has proposed negotiations after his threat to strike the Islamic Republic
07:22 (IST) Jan 13
Death toll from Iran's protests reaches at least 646 and is expected to rise further, AP reports
07:19 (IST) Jan 13
US embassy warns US citizens in Iran of violence, arrests and travel disruptions amid Iran protests
07:08 (IST) Jan 13
Trump announces 25% tariff on countries doing business with Iran
04:24 (IST) Jan 13
'Leave Iran now': Virtual Embassy of the USA in Iran issues advisory
00:10 (IST) Jan 13
Khamenei says mass rallies were ‘Warning to American Politicians’
00:10 (IST) Jan 13
Trump threatens unprecedented strikes if Iran targets US bases
US President Donald Trump said that Washington is closely tracking the deadly protests in Iran and considering possible military responses.

Asked how the United States would react if Iran attacked American military bases, Trump warned, “We will hit them at levels that they’ve never been hit before.”

When questioned about whether Iran takes his threats seriously, an agitated Trump replied that Tehran likely does, citing past US actions under his leadership, including the killings of Qasem Soleimani and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and what he described as the elimination of the Iran nuclear threat.
00:09 (IST) Jan 13
At least 648 killed in Iran protest crackdown, rights group says
At least 648 people have been killed in a violent crackdown on widespread protests in Iran, a rights group said, as authorities attempted to reassert control with mass rallies held across the country.
00:09 (IST) Jan 13
Russia condemns ‘foreign powers' interfering in Iran after US threats
Russia denounced what it described as efforts by “foreign powers” to interfere in Iran’s internal affairs, following threats by the United States to intervene over Tehran’s deadly crackdown on protesters.

In a phone call with his Iranian counterpart, Russian Security Council Secretary Sergei Shoigu “strongly condemned yet another attempt by foreign powers to interfere in Iran’s internal affairs,” state media reported, marking Moscow’s first official response to the widespread unrest in Iran.
00:09 (IST) Jan 13
UK FM urges end to 'horrific' and 'brutal repression' of Iran protests
Iran is facing its most serious wave of unrest since 2022 as nationwide protests driven by economic hardship entered their second week. Amidst the prostest Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian addressed the nation on Sunday. In his address he assured the people that officials will heed to there demands and concerns. But he alos warned that country's enemies were attempting to sow chaos and disorder in the country and blamed US and Israel for the same.

Demonstrations that began with shopkeepers protesting the collapse of the rial have expanded into broader anti-government rallies across all 31 provinces, drawing students and ordinary citizens into the streets.

As clashes intensified, Iranian authorities imposed a sweeping communication blackout, cutting internet access and phone services and raising fears of a wider crackdown. Rights groups report dozens of deaths and thousands of arrests, while videos circulating before the shutdown showed violent confrontations between protesters and security forces.

Exiled crown prince Reza Pahlavi accused the government of deliberately silencing millions of Iranians and urged the international community to help restore communication links. The United States voiced strong support for protesters, with President Donald Trump warning Iran against using lethal force and senior officials reiterating backing for peaceful demonstrations.

The unrest reflects deepening public frustration over soaring inflation, rising fuel and food prices, and years of political repression. With communication severed and tensions escalating, Iran remains on edge as protests challenge the country’s leadership amid growing international scrutiny.