Formula 1 cancels Bahrain and Saudi Arabia Grands Prix amid Middle East tensions; season cut to 22 races
In a move that has reshaped the 2026 racing season, Formula 1 and the FIA officially announced on Sunday, March 15, 2026, that the upcoming Grands Prix in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia will not take place this April.
The decision, made in the early hours ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai, responds to the escalating conflict in the Middle East. While the sport prides itself on "The Show Must Go On" mentality, the safety of the 10 teams, thousands of staff, and millions of fans has taken absolute precedence over the checkered flag.
The Bahrain Grand Prix was originally scheduled for April 12 at the Sakhir circuit, followed by the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in Jeddah on April 19, both are traditionally held as night races under floodlights.
FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said the organisation had to prioritise the wellbeing of everyone involved in the championship, emphasising that safety remained the top priority.
The announcement came ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix weekend in Shanghai, ending weeks of speculation over whether the races could still go ahead amid growing instability in the region.
The cancellations are directly linked to the widening conflict involving Iran and military actions by the United States and Israel, which have triggered retaliatory strikes across parts of the Middle East. Security risks and regional instability made it impossible for Formula 1 to guarantee the safe staging of the events.
Logistical challenges also played a major role. Formula 1 races require massive freight shipments of cars, equipment and broadcast gear weeks in advance. With airports disrupted and security concerns rising, transporting the necessary cargo to the region became increasingly difficult.
Officials also considered possible replacement venues for April but ultimately decided that reorganising the calendar at such short notice was not feasible.
With both Middle Eastern races removed, the 2026 Formula 1 calendar shrinks from 24 races to 22.
The decision also leaves a rare five-week gap in the schedule:
Formula 1 organisers have said fans who purchased tickets in advance for the cancelled races will be contacted directly by event organisers regarding refunds and further options.
Both the Bahrain Grand Prix and the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix had already begun ticket sales months earlier, with many international fans planning trips around the April race weekends.
Local race promoters are expected to provide full refunds or possible ticket transfer options depending on the policies set by organisers and ticketing platforms. Fans are advised to monitor official communications from race organisers and the official channels of Formula 1 for updates.
Travel plans such as hotels and flights booked independently may need to be managed directly with airlines and accommodation providers.
Formula 1 leadership stressed that Bahrain and Saudi Arabia remain crucial partners for the sport and expressed hope that racing will return to both venues once conditions stabilise.
F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali acknowledged the decision was difficult but unavoidable given the current situation in the region. Officials also thanked local organisers for their cooperation and understanding.
While the races will not take place in April, the FIA has not entirely ruled out the possibility of future editions once the geopolitical situation improves.
Israel Iran War
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: 'All oil and energy infrastructure will turn to ashes,' says Iran after US hits Kharg Island
- 'Must take care': Trump urges nations to send warships to Strait of Hormuz as conflict with Iran intensifies
- US military supremacy shines as China fails big in Iran, Venezuela
Middle East conflict forces F1 to cancel Grands Prix
The Bahrain Grand Prix was originally scheduled for April 12 at the Sakhir circuit, followed by the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in Jeddah on April 19, both are traditionally held as night races under floodlights.
FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said the organisation had to prioritise the wellbeing of everyone involved in the championship, emphasising that safety remained the top priority.
Why Bahrain and Saudi Arabia races were cancelled?
The cancellations are directly linked to the widening conflict involving Iran and military actions by the United States and Israel, which have triggered retaliatory strikes across parts of the Middle East. Security risks and regional instability made it impossible for Formula 1 to guarantee the safe staging of the events.
Logistical challenges also played a major role. Formula 1 races require massive freight shipments of cars, equipment and broadcast gear weeks in advance. With airports disrupted and security concerns rising, transporting the necessary cargo to the region became increasingly difficult.
Officials also considered possible replacement venues for April but ultimately decided that reorganising the calendar at such short notice was not feasible.
Impact on the 2026 F1 season schedule
With both Middle Eastern races removed, the 2026 Formula 1 calendar shrinks from 24 races to 22.
The decision also leaves a rare five-week gap in the schedule:
- Japanese Grand Prix – March 29
- Next race: Miami Grand Prix – May 3
What happens to fans who bought F1 tickets?
Formula 1 organisers have said fans who purchased tickets in advance for the cancelled races will be contacted directly by event organisers regarding refunds and further options.
Both the Bahrain Grand Prix and the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix had already begun ticket sales months earlier, with many international fans planning trips around the April race weekends.
Local race promoters are expected to provide full refunds or possible ticket transfer options depending on the policies set by organisers and ticketing platforms. Fans are advised to monitor official communications from race organisers and the official channels of Formula 1 for updates.
Travel plans such as hotels and flights booked independently may need to be managed directly with airlines and accommodation providers.
What F1 said about future races?
Formula 1 leadership stressed that Bahrain and Saudi Arabia remain crucial partners for the sport and expressed hope that racing will return to both venues once conditions stabilise.
F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali acknowledged the decision was difficult but unavoidable given the current situation in the region. Officials also thanked local organisers for their cooperation and understanding.
While the races will not take place in April, the FIA has not entirely ruled out the possibility of future editions once the geopolitical situation improves.
Popular from World
- ‘Fake news’: Israel rejects rumours on Netanyahu's death after 'six fingers' video goes viral
- Kim Jong Un, daughter oversee test of North Korea's 'deadly yet attractive' rocket launchers
- Watch: Fire breaks out at Lanaz refinery in Iraq's Erbil after drone strike
- 'Hearing he’s not alive': Trump’s big claim on Mojtaba Khamenei amid US-Israel strikes on Iran
- Pakistan employees face the heat: PM Shehbaz Sharif approves up to 30% salary cuts in state firms amid fuel crisis
end of article
Trending Stories
- EC likely to announce assembly polls schedule for five states
- India LPG Gas Cylinder Shortage News Live Updates: LPG crunch cripples Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad; feels like Covid again, say food vendors
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: 'All oil and energy infrastructure will turn to ashes,' says Iran after US hits Kharg Island
- After Kirti Azad’s criticism, Suryakumar Yadav, Gautam Gambhir visit temple with T20 World Cup again - Watch
- Logan Webb shares honest thoughts on Aaron Judge leadership after Team USA victory over Canada in World Baseball Classic
- “Throw gays off buildings”: Antonio Brown sparks backlash over “gay rights” post referencing Donald Trump and Jake Paul
- Wang Yefei cause of death: How did the chinese influencer Sister Wang Zha die at 39 during livestream?
Featured in world
- Hidden Luxor tomb uncovered with 22 mummies, rare papyrus scrolls, and secrets of ancient Egyptian women
- Saudi Arabia umrah visa deadlines announced: Key dates for Pilgrims entry and exit, all you need to know
- Science behind the Faroe Islands’ largest lake that appears to ‘float’ above the Atlantic Ocean
- Kim Jong Un, daughter oversee test of North Korea's 'deadly yet attractive' rocket launchers
- ‘Just for fun’: Trump signals fresh US strikes on Iran’s Kharg Island
- Wang Yefei cause of death: How did the chinese influencer Sister Wang Zha die at 39 during livestream?
Photostories
- Kuldeep Yadav weds Vanshika Chadha: Bride joins the Sabyasachi brides club, groom's emerald-layered sherwani steals the show
- What happens to the soul immediately after death according to the Bhagavad Gita
- 9 high-protein sabzis to include in daily diet
- From Sunil Gavaskar to Sachin Tendulkar: 7 Indian cricketers whose sons also became cricketers
- Nicole Kidman to Johnny Galecki: Popular American TV actors and their weird habits
- 7 lesser-known Indian summer fruits and how to consume them
- 7 effective natural ways to keep mosquitoes out of your home
- Forgetting simple things lately? Doctors say stress chemistry may be confusing your brain: Here’s how simple lifestyle changes can restore memory
- From Diana to Meghan: The most iconic royal wedding dresses of all time
- Hollywood celebrities who passed away battling ALS: From Eric Dane to Stephen Hillenburg
Videos
11:07 ‘If US Enters…’: Iran Declares Persian Gulf Off-limits For American Ships; Hormuz Clash Escalates07:55 US Reverse-Engineers Iranian Drones; A New Twist In Tehran Tensions13:28 Iran's Oil Lifeline Under Threat; Trump Signals More Bombings On Kharg Island; 'Just For Fun'- 'US BASES UNDER FIRE': Iran Unleashes HIGH-TECH Drones, American Sites Hit Across Region | On Cam
- ‘HORMUZ WON’T OPEN!’ Iran Stuns US With Brutal Declaration After Trump’s 'WARSHIP CALL' | Watch
08:31 ‘ARMS WERE TWISTED’: Putin Envoy Makes Explosive Claims On UN Vote Over Iran Conflict | Watch12:22 ‘China, UK, Korea…’: Trump Urges Global Warships To Hormuz As Iran Tensions Boil Over09:30 Iran Mocks US After Trump Asks China and Other Nations To Help In Strait Of Hormuz | Watch09:28 'PUNISH THEM ALL…’: Mojtaba Khamenei’s Massive Traitor Hunt; Targets 'US, Israeli Agents' | Watch
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment