France blames Hezbollah for French peacekeeper's death in Lebanon
A French soldier was killed and three others wounded in an ambush Saturday on UN peacekeepers in Lebanon that French President Emmanuel Macron blamed on Hezbollah, an accusation the group has denied.
The attack follows an agreement between Israel and Lebanon on Thursday for a 10-day ceasefire to negotiate an end to six weeks of fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed group.
"Everything points to Hezbollah being responsible for this attack," Macron said on X, urging Lebanese authorities to arrest the perpetrators.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the attack in a statement and said an initial assessment by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) found it was carried out by the Iranian-backed group.
But Hezbollah -- which is strongly opposed to the planned talks with Israel -- denied involvement in the attack that killed the French peacekeeper, identified as staff sergeant Florian Montorio.
"Hezbollah denies any connection to the incident that occurred with UNIFIL forces in the Ghandouriyeh-Bint Jbeil area," it said in a statement.
The group urged "caution in making judgements and assigning responsibilities" pending the results of the Lebanese army's investigation into the incident.
The fighting in Lebanon -- one of the fronts in the Middle East war -- has seen UNIFIL deployed there repeatedly targeted, by both Israeli and Hezbollah forces.
Montorio, was caught in an "ambush" as his unit headed to a UNIFIL outpost cut off by fighting and he died from a "direct gunshot", France's armed forces minister Catherine Vautrin said on X.
He is the second French soldier to die since the start of the war in the Middle East, after an Iranian-designed drone killed Arnaud Frion last month in Iraq's Kurdistan region.
- Possible 'war crimes' -
His commanding officer, Colonel Jeremy Akil, paid tribute to "an exceptional soldier" who had served in various conflict zones since enlisting in 2007.
The 40-year-old father of two daughters was "at the end of his military career" and was due to return to civilian life within months, Akil added.
His death came as Lebanon is eyeing the first direct negotiations with Israel in decades, a move Lebanon's President Joseph Aoun insisted was not a "concession" in an apparent rebuttal of Hezbollah criticism.
But senior Hezbollah official Mahmud Qamati on Saturday said that his group was "not concerned with the negotiations being conducted by the state", saying they were "a failure, weak, defeated... and submissive negotiations".
Aoun condemned the attack and pledged to bring those responsible to justice, while Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said he had ordered an investigation.
UNIFIL, in an online statement, said the peacekeepers "came under small-arms fire from non-state-actors" as they were "clearing explosive ordnance along a road in the village of Ghanduriyah" to get to the outpost.
"Tragically, one peacekeeper succumbed to his injuries and three others were injured, two of them seriously," it said, adding that it had launched its own investigation into what "may amount to war crimes".
The force patrols in south Lebanon near the Israeli border, where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month after the Iran-backed militant group drew Lebanon into the Middle East war with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.
Three Indonesian peacekeepers were killed last month, with a preliminary UN investigation finding one was killed by Israeli tank fire, while the two others were killed by an improvised explosive device likely planted by Hezbollah.
Other UNIFIL peacekeepers have also been wounded since the war erupted, and in April, Israeli soldiers destroyed surveillance cameras in UNIFIL's headquarters, the peacekeeping body said.
Last week, an Israeli tank twice rammed peacekeeping vehicles, causing damage but no injuries, according to UNIFIL.
UN peacekeepers have served as a buffer between Lebanon and Israel for decades, but their mandate concludes at the end of this year.
"Everything points to Hezbollah being responsible for this attack," Macron said on X, urging Lebanese authorities to arrest the perpetrators.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the attack in a statement and said an initial assessment by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) found it was carried out by the Iranian-backed group.
But Hezbollah -- which is strongly opposed to the planned talks with Israel -- denied involvement in the attack that killed the French peacekeeper, identified as staff sergeant Florian Montorio.
"Hezbollah denies any connection to the incident that occurred with UNIFIL forces in the Ghandouriyeh-Bint Jbeil area," it said in a statement.
The fighting in Lebanon -- one of the fronts in the Middle East war -- has seen UNIFIL deployed there repeatedly targeted, by both Israeli and Hezbollah forces.
Montorio, was caught in an "ambush" as his unit headed to a UNIFIL outpost cut off by fighting and he died from a "direct gunshot", France's armed forces minister Catherine Vautrin said on X.
He is the second French soldier to die since the start of the war in the Middle East, after an Iranian-designed drone killed Arnaud Frion last month in Iraq's Kurdistan region.
- Possible 'war crimes' -
His commanding officer, Colonel Jeremy Akil, paid tribute to "an exceptional soldier" who had served in various conflict zones since enlisting in 2007.
The 40-year-old father of two daughters was "at the end of his military career" and was due to return to civilian life within months, Akil added.
His death came as Lebanon is eyeing the first direct negotiations with Israel in decades, a move Lebanon's President Joseph Aoun insisted was not a "concession" in an apparent rebuttal of Hezbollah criticism.
But senior Hezbollah official Mahmud Qamati on Saturday said that his group was "not concerned with the negotiations being conducted by the state", saying they were "a failure, weak, defeated... and submissive negotiations".
Aoun condemned the attack and pledged to bring those responsible to justice, while Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said he had ordered an investigation.
UNIFIL, in an online statement, said the peacekeepers "came under small-arms fire from non-state-actors" as they were "clearing explosive ordnance along a road in the village of Ghanduriyah" to get to the outpost.
"Tragically, one peacekeeper succumbed to his injuries and three others were injured, two of them seriously," it said, adding that it had launched its own investigation into what "may amount to war crimes".
The force patrols in south Lebanon near the Israeli border, where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month after the Iran-backed militant group drew Lebanon into the Middle East war with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.
Three Indonesian peacekeepers were killed last month, with a preliminary UN investigation finding one was killed by Israeli tank fire, while the two others were killed by an improvised explosive device likely planted by Hezbollah.
Other UNIFIL peacekeepers have also been wounded since the war erupted, and in April, Israeli soldiers destroyed surveillance cameras in UNIFIL's headquarters, the peacekeeping body said.
Last week, an Israeli tank twice rammed peacekeeping vehicles, causing damage but no injuries, according to UNIFIL.
UN peacekeepers have served as a buffer between Lebanon and Israel for decades, but their mandate concludes at the end of this year.
Popular from World
- Quote of the day by Winston Churchill: “All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honour; duty; mercy; hope.”
- 10 Deepest rivers in the world ranked: From the Congo’s 250m depths to the Mississippi river
- 'JD Vance’s brown kids are less American': Michigan Democrat attacks US VP, makes crude joke about Usha Vance
- Indian man converted from Hinduism to Christianity denied asylum in Australia; tribunal says no risk of harm on return
- Strait talk turns straitjacket: Diplomacy stuck, ships struck, in Hormuz
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War Ceasefire News Live Updates: 'We were the victors': Iran says all enemy plans failed, including Strait of Hormuz opening
- WWE WrestleMania 42 Night 1 Results & Highlights: Randy Orton punt kicks Cody Rhodes, new champions, shocking returns, and more
- Amravati sex abuse: 15-year-old Nagpur survivor breaks taboo, travels 250km to record statement before SIT
- CBSE Class 12 Result 2026 Live Updates: Result likely by THIS date as over 18 lakh students await scores; check where and how to download your marksheets
- Quote of the day by Michael Phelps: 'I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything'
- IPL 2026 | Caught on camera: Kavya Maran's wild celebration after SRH down CSK - WATCH
- Pact allowing India, Russia to station 3,000 troops, 5 warships, 10 aircraft in each other’s territory operational: Report
Featured in world
- Titanic life jacket worn by survivor sold for £670,000 ($906,000) at UK auction
- United flight diverted, passengers evacuated via emergency slides in Pittsburgh - watch
- Watch: Canada PM Mark Carney celebrates Sikh Heritage Month, joins community service
- ‘Spare the sermons’: Iran slams EU over Hormuz stance, calls remarks ‘peak hypocrisy’
- With 60 Kirk-themed bills, 20+ US states seek to promote his ideology
- France blames Hezbollah for French peacekeeper's death in Lebanon
Photostories
- Dhurandhar actor Ranveer Singh loves this spread innovated in the 1940s: Here are 6 ways you can enjoy it too
- 7 key factors that define a ‘posh’ locality in the real estate market
- Strong baby names inspired by the Sun
- 8 refreshing fruits to eat this summer for a flatter belly
- Akshaya Tritiya 2026: Why these foods are considered auspicious and bring good fortune and prosperity
- 5 watches rich men with old money wear
- 6 healthy leaves you should add to your daily diet
- Akshaya Tritiya 2026: Buy these 5 things for good fortune
- 5 grand palaces that are now world-famous museums
- 7 factors driving real estate growth in India’s non-metro cities
Videos
16:43 French Soldier Killed In Lebanon Ambush; Macron Blames Hezbollah For Attack On UN Peacekeepers09:11 'ACTION ON THE WAY': Iran Blasts U.S. For 'DECEIT' Amid Talks; Threatens Trump With 'DEADLY STRIKE'- Hormuz War Goes GLOBAL: US Military To ‘BOARD & SEIZE’ Iran-Bound Ships Beyond Mideast | Report
09:53 ‘YOU DON’T OWN IRAN’: Lula Goes Nuclear On Trump In Explosive Speech; ‘Don’t Lie To Destroy Nations’09:04 US ‘CONFIRMS’ Iran War 2.0? Trump Calls EMERGENCY MEETING After IRGC Defies Hormuz Ban And Shoots…09:44 Iran FLEXES New Missiles For ‘WORLD WAR 3’, PANIC In Washington; US Troops On HIGH ALERT In Gulf12:27 ‘LET US GO…’: Indian Vessel’s DESPERATE PLEA As IRGC Gunboats Open Fire In Hormuz | Watch08:52 IRGC Navy Unleashes Back-To-Back DEADLY ATTACKS On 3 Vessels; US Stunned15:54 'LITTLE LIBERAL’: Trump Jabs Joe Rogan To His Face After Iran War Clash, AWKWARD MOMENT At WH
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment