13 dead, 30 injured in Russian-guided bomb attack on Zaporizhzhia: Ukraine

At least 13 people were killed and 30 others injured in a Russian-guided bomb attack in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine. Ukrainian President Zelenskyy confirmed the damage to residential blocks and other infrastructure. Videos showed emergency efforts on the scene. The incident increases tensions, with Ukraine pressing for stronger international security assurances while developing long-range weapons for defense.
13 dead, 30 injured in Russian-guided bomb attack on Zaporizhzhia: Ukraine

At least 13 people were killed and 30 others injured in a Russian-guided bomb attack on Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia, according to officials, as reported by Al Jazeera. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the death toll, offering condolences to the victims’ families.
In a video shared on X (formerly Twitter), Zelenskyy said, "Russians struck Zaporizhzhia with aerial bombs. It was a deliberate strike on the city. As of now, dozens of people are reported wounded. All are receiving the necessary assistance. Tragically, we know of 13 people killed."

"My condolences to their families and loved ones. Regrettably, the number of casualties may increase. There is nothing more cruel than launching aerial bombs on a city, knowing that ordinary civilians will suffer. Russia must be put under pressure for its terror. The protection of lives in Ukraine must be supported. Only through strength can such a war be ended with a lasting peace," he added.
Videos from the scene showed bloodied civilians receiving emergency treatment and firefighters battling flames caused by the attack. According to Ukraine’s Prosecutor General’s Office, high-rise residential blocks, an industrial facility, and other infrastructure were damaged, with debris hitting a tram and a bus carrying passengers.
Regional Governor Ivan Fedorov said Russian forces launched guided bombs at a residential area in the city during the afternoon, striking at least two residential buildings.
The attacks coincide with rising tensions as both Russia and Ukraine aim to demonstrate strength ahead of US President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration on January 20.
Earlier in the day, the Ukrainian military claimed responsibility for targeting a fuel storage depot in Russia's Saratov region, causing a fire at a facility supplying missiles to a Russian air base. Kyiv has been developing its own long-range weapons to strike targets deep behind Russian lines, given restrictions on the use of Western-supplied missiles.
In a press conference in Kyiv, Zelenskyy reiterated the need for strong security assurances for Ukraine. “To be honest, I believe that we have a right to demand serious security guarantees from countries that aim for peace in the world,” he said, in response to Trump’s recent comments on Nato.
At his Mar-a-Lago estate, Trump said, "Russia has somebody right on their doorstep, and I could understand their feelings about that," referring to Ukraine's Nato ambitions. Zelenskyy noted that nations like the US, Germany, and Slovakia have hindered Ukraine’s immediate Nato membership.
author
About the Author
TOI News Desk

The TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most."

End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA