This story is from December 24, 2023
Strong earthquake in northwest China that killed at least 148 causes economic losses worth millions
BEIJING: The strong earthquake that hit northwest China this week, killing at least 148 people, caused economic losses estimated to be worth tens of millions in the agricultural and fisheries industries, state media said Saturday.
Officials in Gansu conducted preliminary assessments that showed the province's agricultural and fisheries industries have lost 532 million yuan (about $74.6 million), state broadcaster CCTV reported.
Authorities were considering the best use of the relief fund, set up days before, for the agricultural sector to resume production as soon as possible, the report said.
The magnitude 6.2 quake struck in a mountainous region Monday night between Gansu and Qinghai provinces and about 1,300 kilometers (800 miles) southwest of Beijing, the Chinese capital. CCTV said 117 people were killed in Gansu and 31 others died in neighboring Qinghai, while three people remained missing. Nearly 1,000 were injured and more than 14,000 homes were destroyed.
During a visit Saturday to several villages in Gansu and a county in Qinghai, Chinese Premier Li Qiang urged authorities to improve living conditions for the survivors of the quake by every available method, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Li said the top priority of relief efforts was to make sure people stay warm and safe in winter, the report added.
CGTN, the Chinese state broadcaster’s international arm, said the first batch of 500 temporary housing units had been built for residents in Meipo, a village in Gansu, on Friday night.
Many had spent the night in shelters set up in the area as temperatures plunged well below freezing. Funerals were held, some following the Muslim traditions of much of the population in the affected area.
Most of China’s earthquakes strike in the western part of the country, including Gansu, Qinghai, Sichuan and Yunnan provinces, as well as the Xinjiang region and Tibet. The latest quake was the deadliest one in the country in nine years.
Authorities were considering the best use of the relief fund, set up days before, for the agricultural sector to resume production as soon as possible, the report said.
The magnitude 6.2 quake struck in a mountainous region Monday night between Gansu and Qinghai provinces and about 1,300 kilometers (800 miles) southwest of Beijing, the Chinese capital. CCTV said 117 people were killed in Gansu and 31 others died in neighboring Qinghai, while three people remained missing. Nearly 1,000 were injured and more than 14,000 homes were destroyed.
During a visit Saturday to several villages in Gansu and a county in Qinghai, Chinese Premier Li Qiang urged authorities to improve living conditions for the survivors of the quake by every available method, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Li said the top priority of relief efforts was to make sure people stay warm and safe in winter, the report added.
CGTN, the Chinese state broadcaster’s international arm, said the first batch of 500 temporary housing units had been built for residents in Meipo, a village in Gansu, on Friday night.
Most of China’s earthquakes strike in the western part of the country, including Gansu, Qinghai, Sichuan and Yunnan provinces, as well as the Xinjiang region and Tibet. The latest quake was the deadliest one in the country in nine years.
Top Comment
Ivan Wolf
327 days ago
India is celebrating on a major natural disaster in China with 148 death. One India bridge collapse killed more than 200 Indians. Should the world celebrate?Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Power play: Can Donald Trump dismantle US ‘deep state’?
- 'Maverick move': Why spy world is 'alarmed' by Tulsi Gabbard's nomination as US intel chief
- Pentagon in turmoil: Trump reportedly plans to fire senior military leaders who prioritized DEI
- 'Democrats think this is Swastika': Row over chest tattoo of Trump's secretary of defense Pete Hegseth
- After son, Elon Musk now carries daughter Azure at Mar-A-Lago; Trump says, 'I can't get him out of here'
end of article
Trending Stories
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Live streaming, full match card, when and where to watch fight in India and USA
- Delhi pollution: GRAP 3 curbs to be imposed from November 15 as residents choke
- 'Can't save religion when deputy CM's wife busy making reels': Kanhaiya Kumar's remarks on Devendra Fadnavis' wife Amruta sparks row
- When Tulsi Gabbard clarified her nationality: 'I am not of Indian origin'
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Boxing legend and YouTube sensation collide in historic bout
- Finally, Prince Harry may return to the Royal Family as his biggest enemy is retiring
- Trish Stratus' dating history: List of all WWE Superstars she has dated
Visual Stories
- 10 desert animals of India
- How to make high-protein Soya-Paneer Biryani
- 8 traditional baby girl names that sound modern
- 10 rare animal species found only in China
- How to grow Strawberry in home garden during winters
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT