'It would be fun': Jannik Sinner hints at doubles partnership with Carlos Alcaraz
NEW DELHI: Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner teased Friday the prospect of teaming up for doubles as the world's top two prepare to open their seasons with a lucrative exhibition match in South Korea, a week before the Australian Open.
The pair dominated men's tennis in 2025 and contested all four Grand Slam finals between them, with Spain's Alcaraz winning the French and US Opens and Italy's Sinner triumphing at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
Speaking on the eve of their match in Incheon, the friends and rivals floated the idea of pairing up as a formidable team.
"I think it would be fun at least one time to share the court in different ways, on the same side," said Sinner, the world number two behind top-ranked Alcaraz.
"Of course the schedule, and we are so focused on singles that it's very difficult because if then you go deep in singles and then you have to play doubles, you don't have the right recovery.
"But for one tournament I think it's great to do it, and we're going to talk about it maybe this year at a certain time where we feel like, or next year."
Alcaraz was also receptive to the idea, saying it had crossed his mind "once or twice".
"At least once would be fun," he said.
"I think I'm playing forehand and he's playing backhand."
Alcaraz and Sinner will be on opposite sides of the court when they square off again on Saturday, when they will play their only warm-up before the Australian Open starts on January 18.
The 22-year-old Alcaraz has been critical of tennis's packed schedule and pulled out of the Shanghai Masters in September because of "physical issues".
He said playing in South Korea was "a great way to get ready" for Melbourne, where he is looking to go beyond the quarter-finals for the first time.
"I think coming here for two, three days, keep preparing, keep getting yourself ready for the new season, I think it was a great idea," he said.
"I'm just really happy that I'm able to do this event, this match with Jannik."
Their rivalry has drawn comparisons with the "Big Three" of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, who ruled tennis for the early part of this century.
Sinner said he and Alcaraz "want to make our own story".
"We need to see how long we can keep up this level," said the 24-year-old, who won six titles last year despite missing three months over a doping ban.
"What the big three has done, we cannot compare ourselves with them, and we also don't want to.
"We are just ourselves and we want to make our own story."
Get the latest WPL 2026 updates including WPL teams, full WPL 2026 schedule, and live scores for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bengaluru, UP Warriorz, Gujarat Giants, and Delhi Capitals. Also check the latest WPL Orange Cap and Purple Cap standings.
"I think it would be fun at least one time to share the court in different ways, on the same side," said Sinner, the world number two behind top-ranked Alcaraz.
"Of course the schedule, and we are so focused on singles that it's very difficult because if then you go deep in singles and then you have to play doubles, you don't have the right recovery.
Alcaraz was also receptive to the idea, saying it had crossed his mind "once or twice".
"At least once would be fun," he said.
Alcaraz and Sinner will be on opposite sides of the court when they square off again on Saturday, when they will play their only warm-up before the Australian Open starts on January 18.
The 22-year-old Alcaraz has been critical of tennis's packed schedule and pulled out of the Shanghai Masters in September because of "physical issues".
He said playing in South Korea was "a great way to get ready" for Melbourne, where he is looking to go beyond the quarter-finals for the first time.
"I think coming here for two, three days, keep preparing, keep getting yourself ready for the new season, I think it was a great idea," he said.
"I'm just really happy that I'm able to do this event, this match with Jannik."
Their rivalry has drawn comparisons with the "Big Three" of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, who ruled tennis for the early part of this century.
Sinner said he and Alcaraz "want to make our own story".
"We need to see how long we can keep up this level," said the 24-year-old, who won six titles last year despite missing three months over a doping ban.
"What the big three has done, we cannot compare ourselves with them, and we also don't want to.
"We are just ourselves and we want to make our own story."
Get the latest WPL 2026 updates including WPL teams, full WPL 2026 schedule, and live scores for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bengaluru, UP Warriorz, Gujarat Giants, and Delhi Capitals. Also check the latest WPL Orange Cap and Purple Cap standings.
Popular from Sports
- Stefon Diggs and Cardi B’s nonstop drama emerges as a growing Patriots distraction ahead of the NFL playoffs despite Drake Maye’s elite MVP form
- Tommy Fleetwood and Clare Fleetwood combined net worth: Inside his golf career, earnings, sponsors, family life and growing fortune
- Ric Flair net worth in 2025: WWE icon's legacy, career earnings, endorsements, and business ventures
- “Still searching for those answers”: Travis Kelce reaches a breaking point as Taylor Swift hits another career high
- Sarfaraz Khan scripts history, smokes 30 in an over off Abhishek Sharma to record fastest-ever fifty
end of article
Featured in sports
- Sponsors pull back, futures clouded: Bangladesh cricketers caught in India standoff
- Exclusive: Would Litton or Soumya face same heat as Mustafizur? Ex-BCB official asks
- 'Cousin thought I died': Jemimah Rodrigues recalls horrific 'church' incident
- ''Sarpanch' should be picked': Chopra backs Shreyas Iyer after Tilak injury
- 'Decisions today will echo for 10 yrs': Ex-captain Tamim warns Bangladesh
- At 58, still chasing goals: 'King Kazu' vows to prove age is just a number
International Sports
- “I think they’ll win”: Jason Kelce explains why he trusts the Eagles to handle 49ers in playoff opener
- “I’m just dating around”: Alix Earle gets newfound attention with viral past interview amidst dating rumors with Tom Brady
- Commanders cornerback Marshon Lattimore arrested in Ohio on weapons charges, raising fresh concerns on and off the field
- Aaron Rodgers breaks silence on Mike Tomlin rumors, calls out noise surrounding coach’s uncertain future
- Tyreek Hill dampens Chiefs’ OC fantasy following Dolphins’ unexpected decision to fire Mike McDaniel
Trending Stories
- ‘Sometimes I forget’: Son after 10 daughters; Haryana man struggles to recall all children’s names
- Wild Card Round Preparation: Patriots manage Diggs, Cardi B drama; unity tested before Chargers
- Patrick Mahomes injury update: Trainer delivers key recovery message as Chiefs part ways with coach after seven years
- UAE: 18-year-old Emirati becomes youngest Arab to reach Antarctica’s highest peak
- 'Energy greed': Venezuela acting president Delcy calls out Trump; leaves door open for Russia, China
- 'Kudos to any company who...': Indian-origin entrepreneur on Hilton Hotels refusing room to ICE agents in Minneapolis
- Who is Jonathan Ross, the ICE agent who shot Renee Good dead in Minneapolis?
Photostories
- Prada makes chai-inspired perfume: 7 times food became a part of high fashion
- 10 winter habits that build unshakeable inner strength
- BTS's funniest moments: From Jungkook's Vine phase to J-Hope's butter chicken incident
- Love with restraint, ‘Taal’, ‘Dil Chahta Hai’, ‘Hulchul’ define Akshaye Khanna’s romantic legacy
- Chennai to bring back double-decker buses after 17 years with electric upgrade
- Your Birth Date Is Not Random—It Holds a Dark Truth
- Tara Sutaria and Veer Pahariya reportedly part ways after one year? 5 times the couple proved that style never fades
- How to make Kolhapuri Chicken Curry for lunch
- Mahhi Vij addresses divorce with Jay Bhanushali: ‘It didn’t work out but he has not run away from the responsibility of our kids’
- Katrina Kaif, Shah Rukh Khan to Kareena Kapoor: Bollywood stars who danced to songs bearing their names
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment