LONDON, July 18: VVS Laxman is all set to make his English county debut after signing a contract with Lancashire to replace Australian Brad Hodge this summer.
Laxman, who has scored 4878 runs at 42.41 from 80 Tests so far, will join the club after India's three-Test series against England.
The 32-year-old stylish right-hander was yet to get the Indian Cricket Board's approval but it seems only a formality.
"I'm so thrilled to be signing for a great club like Lancashire for my first taste of County cricket," Laxman said.
"It's something I've wanted to do for a long time and hopefully I will play my part in the club's success."
Lancashire Cricket Manager Mike Watkinson felt Laxman's experience would come in handy for the club, which would be missing two of its main batsmen in Hodge and Mal Loye due to the upcoming Twenty20 World Championship.
"We are going to be without Brad Hodge for what looks like a significant period towards the end of the season," Watkinson said.
"With Mal Loye likely to be involved in the Twenty20 World Cup, we could possibly be without two experienced batsman and we feel that Laxman will bring the quality needed at a crucial time of the season.
"I'm delighted that we have been able to secure a player of his pedigree, following what we hope will be a successful Test series for him," he said.