This story is from October 5, 2011

Butt, Asif plead 'not guilty' as trial opens

Butt and Asif pleaded "not guilty" of a conspiracy to cheat in a Test match and to accept corrupt payments in return for arranging to bowl "no balls".
Butt, Asif plead 'not guilty' as trial opens
LONDON: Two Pakistani cricketers, former captain Salman Butt, and medium-pacer Mohammad Asif, arrived at London's Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday prior to being put on trial. Both pleaded "not guilty" of a conspiracy to cheat in the Test match against England at Lord's in August 2010 and to accept corrupt payments in return for arranging to bowl "no balls".
1x1 polls
They could be imprisoned, if not found to be innocent.
Two other accused in the same case - left-arm fast bowler Mohammad Amir and a London-based players' agent Mazhar Majeed did not appear in court. It is widely believed they have pleaded guilty and will be sentenced at the conclusion of their co-defendants' trial. This cannot be confirmed because of reporting restrictions imposed by the concerned judge, Justice Cooke.
Confusion reigned on the eve of the trial. The listing at the Southwark Crown Court incorrectly stated Butt and Asif had entered guilty pleas. "I can only apologise," said Tim Grigg, a listing officer at this court.
All four are charged with the same offences. If found guilty on both counts, they could be sent to prison for up to nine years. They are accused under the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 and the Gambling Act 2005 as prevailing in Britain.
A Scotland Yard police investigation arose after a sting operation last year by the Sunday tabloid News of the World, which has has since been closed after its involvement in phone hacking. This newspaper claimed Majeed accepted £150,000 to arrange for Asif and Amir to bowl "no balls" at predetermined times – called "spot-fixing" in the illegal betting business that is said to thrive in South and West Asia.
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA