This story is from May 4, 2007

Buchanan turned his back on potential Indian offer

Australia's most successful coach John Buchanan confirmed that he was 'indirectly' approached before leaving for the World Cup by Indian officials.
Buchanan turned his back on potential Indian offer
MELBOURNE, May 4: John Buchanan has turned down a potentially lucrative approach from India, but the outgoing Australian mentor has not entirely ruled out a return to international coaching in the future.
Buchanan confirmed that he was "indirectly" approached before leaving for the Caribbean World Cup by Indian officials, who were keen to gauge his interest in succeeding Greg Chappell as their coach after the World Cup.
1x1 polls

But after almost eight years at the helm of Australia, Buchanan was not immediately ready for another international assignment and, accordingly, did not follow up the Indian approach. Still, the veteran coach said he would retain an open mind regarding overseas opportunities.
"There was some indirect contact from India," Buchanan was quoted as saying by The Age on Friday.
"But at the moment I am looking for new challenges as a mentor coach, and speaking to Cricket Australia and the Australian Sports Commission about that, as well as a move into corporate coaching."
"Yes, there is still some interest (in international coaching). But, and it's a big but, it would be very much dependent upon my family." "I really want to be around for that period of (my children's) schooling. But that probably takes me to my late-50s, and if I would like to specifically be involved in the game, maybe I'll have passed my used-by date by then."

Buchanan will leave the game as Australia's most successful coach.
Since he took over from Geoff Marsh in 1999, Australian teams have won three-quarters of all Test and One-day matches played under him.
But Buchanan's tenure will also be remembered for its relentless pursuit of innovation, including the appointment of an American base baller as fielding coach and last summer's pre-Ashes "boot camp".
At the end of the unsuccessful 2005 Ashes campaign, Buchanan considered standing down from his post which proved an inspired move.
Since then, Australia has reclaimed the Ashes 5-0 and completed an undefeated World Cup campaign.
"It is a fairytale," he said and added "after the Ashes in 2005 I looked at whether or not I was really required and had to answer those questions.
"But the last three tournaments - the ICC Champions Trophy, the Ashes and then the World Cup - to win three of those is an unbelievable finale."
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA