Can a banned NBA star get a second shot? Jontay Porter’s bold and controversial comeback with Seattle SuperHawks turns head
As it welcomes the banned former NBA big man, the USBL will bat for Jontay Porter, assuring TMZ Sports that the league believes in "second chances." The former Toronto Raptors two-way player is scheduled to resume professional play in the recently revived United States Basketball League (USBL) almost two years after being banned from the NBA for life, according to People.
According to the USBL, Porter has shown sincere regret and a great dedication to personal development, and he fully accepts the consequences of his actions. According to the team and league, they are all in favor of allowing him to pursue his basketball career as evidence that hard work and accountability can lead to redemption, not just as an athlete.
Although it's not the basketball team he always aspired to be on, Jontay Porter is back. Porter secured a contract with the Seattle SuperHawks in the newly formed United States Basketball League last week. Porter was banned from the NBA for life in 2024 after a gambling scandal destroyed his career.
When the league begins on March 7, Porter will play for the Seattle Superhawks. After being dormant since 2008, the USBL is reopening with a mix of underappreciated talent and former players hoping for another chance.
The SuperHawks organization expressed confidence in Porter's "sincerity, accountability, and determination to move forward in a positive direction" following what it described as in-depth talks, and the league claims to share that opinion.
In a statement, league representatives told TMZ that the USBL has "always stood for opportunity" and supports athletes who are dedicated to "learning from their past and rebuilding their future."
Porter entered a guilty plea to one count of conspiracy to conduct wire fraud in July 2024, but he is still awaiting sentencing in relation to a federal gambling probe. Porter is anticipated to serve three to four years in prison, but he risks a maximum sentence of twenty years.
In contrast to his previous NBA career, Porter's opportunity comes under extremely different conditions.
“I am just trying to do what I can to provide for my family,” Porter said, addressing his return to the court.
Porter's first professional game since the NBA banned him will be on Saturday if he plays for the SuperHawks in their season opening. The USBL is wagering on his return, regardless of the outcome in court.
The action follows one of the most well-known gambling incidents involving an NBA player in recent memory. Following an inquiry into betting-related infractions, the league declared in April 2024 that Porter had received a lifetime ban. While awaiting sentencing for illegal gambling charges that might result in a 20-year jail sentence, he signed with a new Seattle-based basketball league, earning him this week's Fumble of the Week.
Critics question why someone who "cheated the game" gets rewarded with another platform, claiming the league is using his scandal as a publicity stunt. Lane Kiffin is also under fire for continuing to offend Ole Miss supporters and coaches on social media after departing for LSU, even though he had previously informed the players that he was not leaving.
In addition, the issue surrounding the USA men's hockey team persists, with responses to White House festivities and remarks made in the locker room igniting discussions about politics, patriotism, and athlete responsibility.
Get the latest ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 updates, including the full schedule, teams, live scores, points table, and key series stats such as top run-scorers and wicket-takers.
Israel attacks Iran
Jontay Porter gets a fresh chance with the Seattle SuperHawk after his NBA ban
When the league begins on March 7, Porter will play for the Seattle Superhawks. After being dormant since 2008, the USBL is reopening with a mix of underappreciated talent and former players hoping for another chance.
The SuperHawks organization expressed confidence in Porter's "sincerity, accountability, and determination to move forward in a positive direction" following what it described as in-depth talks, and the league claims to share that opinion.
In contrast to his previous NBA career, Porter's opportunity comes under extremely different conditions.
“I am just trying to do what I can to provide for my family,” Porter said, addressing his return to the court.
Porter's first professional game since the NBA banned him will be on Saturday if he plays for the SuperHawks in their season opening. The USBL is wagering on his return, regardless of the outcome in court.
Jontay Porter’s gambling scandal return sparks fresh debate in the sports world
The action follows one of the most well-known gambling incidents involving an NBA player in recent memory. Following an inquiry into betting-related infractions, the league declared in April 2024 that Porter had received a lifetime ban. While awaiting sentencing for illegal gambling charges that might result in a 20-year jail sentence, he signed with a new Seattle-based basketball league, earning him this week's Fumble of the Week.
Critics question why someone who "cheated the game" gets rewarded with another platform, claiming the league is using his scandal as a publicity stunt. Lane Kiffin is also under fire for continuing to offend Ole Miss supporters and coaches on social media after departing for LSU, even though he had previously informed the players that he was not leaving.
In addition, the issue surrounding the USA men's hockey team persists, with responses to White House festivities and remarks made in the locker room igniting discussions about politics, patriotism, and athlete responsibility.
Get the latest ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 updates, including the full schedule, teams, live scores, points table, and key series stats such as top run-scorers and wicket-takers.
Popular from Sports
- 'I felt helpless': Rohit Sharma's honest admission on India vs Pakistan thriller
- 'Enough pampering': PCB to fine Pakistan players PKR 50 lakhs each after T20 World Cup exit?
- Captain's tribute: Suryakumar Yadav takes off cap, bows to Sanju Samson - WATCH
- 'Rulayega kya pagle?': Sanju Samson's on-camera reply to Suryakumar Yadav goes viral - WATCH
- Captaincy storm in Pakistan: Shahid Afridi demands 'aggressive' leader, backs Fakhar Zaman for top job
end of article
Featured in sports
- PV Sindhu pulls out of All England amid rising tensions in Middle East
- 'I felt helpless': Rohit Sharma's honest admission on India vs Pakistan thriller
- PCB to fine Pakistan players PKR 50 lakhs each after T20 World Cup exit
- 'Trying to keep my family safe': Bairstow's desperate plea from war-hit Dubai
- Tennis stars stranded in Dubai as Middle East war disrupts travel
- 'He'll hurt the opposition': Ganguly's big statement on Sanju Samson
International Sports
- Fact check: Did Cardi B publicly respond to Stefon Diggs during her show?
- Is Pittsburgh the final stop for Aaron Rodgers? Ian Rapoport shares major update on Steelers and 2026 future
- Jawaan Taylor out in Kansas City as Chiefs clear $20 million ahead of free agency
- What is Xavier Worthy’s net worth in 2026? A look at the Kansas City Chiefs WRs’ contracts, investment, and endorsement deals
- NFL Trade News: New York Jets may look for Denver Broncos $12M QB after failed Justin Fields, Tyrod Taylor, and Brady Cook projects
Trending Stories
- US-Israel Attack Iran Live Updates: US, Israel continue bombing in Iran; Israeli jets strike Hezbollah targets in Lebanon's Beirut
- Gold, Silver Rate Today Live Updates: Gold climbs 2% on rising Middle East tensions; oil up 10%
- India Post GDS Result 2026 Live Updates: First merit list likely soon, circle-wise PDFs to be released
- 'Enough pampering': PCB to fine Pakistan players PKR 50 lakhs each after T20 World Cup exit?
- RRB Group D recruitment 2026: Last date extended for CEN No. 09/2025 applications
- Stock market crash today: Nifty50 goes below 24,900; BSE Sensex down over 1,000 points on Middle East tensions
07:33 1970s-style oil shock loading? Crude may hit $100 if Strait of Hormuz shuts amid Middle East tensions - what it means
Photostories
- 10 black-coloured foods and why you should eat more of them
- All eyes are on stylish newlyweds Rashmika Mandanna-Vijay Deverakonda as they join Allu Arjun at Sirish’s pre-wedding soirée
- Zendaya & Tom Holland; Billy Crudup & Naomi Watts: Celebs who secretly tied the knot away from the spotlight
- US-Israel attack on Iran: Khamenei’s death, Iran’s retaliation and military arsenals in action- in pics
- Feeling exhausted? How to know if it’s low B12 or burnout and what to do about it
- 6 ways to improve your car’s fuel efficiency
- 10 food one should essentially eat in the month of March and why
- Ajith Kumar to Vishnu Manchu: Know about the South stars stranded in the UAE and their safety updates
- Shah Rukh Khan, Ranveer Singh, Salman Khan: Bollywood’s elite list of Dubai golden visa holders
- From a net worth of approximately Rs 40 crore to a luxurious house in Mumbai: Kiku Sharda’s lavish lifestyle
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment