• News
  • Sports News
  • MLB suspends Braves’ Jurickson Profar for 80 games due to positive PED test
This story is from April 01, 2025

MLB suspends Braves’ Jurickson Profar for 80 games due to positive PED test

Atlanta Braves outfielder Jurickson Profar has been suspended for 80 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. The suspension comes just days after the season opener, greatly impacting the team and leading to significant changes in their lineup.
MLB suspends Braves’ Jurickson Profar for 80 games due to positive PED test
MLB suspends Braves’ Jurickson Profar for 80 games due to positive PED test (Image Source: Profar/Instagram)
A major announcement has shaken the Atlanta Braves. The organization was surprised by what the team heard regarding one of its main players, Jurickson Profar. This decision will impact the team for a long time. Major League Baseball (MLB) broke the news, which shocked fans and the organization. Profar has since reacted to the news, but there are still lots of questions left unanswered.

Jurickson Profar suspended after testing positive for a banned substance

On Monday, April 1, 2025, Major League Baseball announced that Atlanta Braves outfielder Jurickson Profar is being suspended for 80 games. "The suspension is the result of a positive test for Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG), a performance-enhancing substance" under Major League Baseball's drug policy, the people said. It’s a massive blow to the Braves, particularly just days after the team’s season opener.Jurickson Profar, who signed a three-year, $42 million deal with the Braves in January, will now miss half the season. If the Braves make the postseason, he won't be permitted to play. That means the team will need to replace him in left field and shuffle their lineup.
The Atlanta Braves were quick to respond, issuing an official statement. The team was disappointed, stating,"We were surprised and very disappointed to find out that Jurickson Profar tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance.
We have complete faith in Major League Baseball's drug policy and hope he learns from the experience."

Jurickson Profar denies wrongdoing and shares his side of the story

Jurickson Profar also issued a statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association. He was sad and frustrated about the suspension.He stated, "Today is the toughest day of my baseball life. I am heartbroken to report that I have been suspended for 80 games. It hurts me because I have always played with enthusiasm and regard for the game."
Profar also asserted that he never intentionally ingested any prohibited substance. He said he has been regularly tested throughout his career, such as eight times last season, and has never previously failed a test."I would never willingly take anything illegal," he further stated. In spite of denying guilt, Profar accepted the decision of the league and apologized to the Braves organization, his fellow players, and the public."I take full responsibility and I am truly sorry," he stated.The suspension will continue until June ends, and the Braves will now be forced to make significant alterations to their lineup. This issue has raised many questions in the minds of fans, and only time will tell how the team will overcome this huge challenge.Also Read: Will Jurickson Profar Play Tonight Against Los Angeles Dodgers? Latest Update On Atlanta Braves Star's Injury Report (March 31, 2025)
author
About the AuthorTOI Sports Desk

At TOI Sports Desk, reporters work around the clock to bring you comprehensive updates from the world of sports. Expect nuanced match reports, previews, and reviews, along with statistics-based technical analysis, the latest social media trends, and expert insights across cricket, football, tennis, badminton, hockey, motorsports, wrestling, boxing, shooting, athletics, and more.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media