BERLIN:
Bundesliga
side
Schalke 04
will not be able to play minnows
Schweinfurt
in the first round of the
German Cup
this weekend after a regional court ruled Friday that the fourth-tier club should not be in the competition.
Schalke had been due to host the tie in Gelsenkirchen on Sunday, but a regional court in Munich has "provisionally" revoked the cup registration of opponents Schweinfurt.
Instead, the court has instructed third division side Tuerkguecue Munich to take their place in the first round.
A Schweinfurt spokesperson told daily Bild they hope the
German FA
will clarify the matter by Saturday.
The legal dispute is over the halting of matches in Germany last March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
At the time, Schweinfurt were at the top of the Bavaria Regional League, but only because Tuerkguecue had already been promoted to the third division.
While Germany's top three leagues resumed in May to complete the season, the 2019/20 campaign was abandoned in the regional leagues.
The Bavarian Football League (BFV) entered Schweinfurt into the cup draw, but now Tuerkguecue Munich have won a provisional injunction to take their place.
"The verdict is still very fresh. We are now waiting for further information from the DFB (German FA)," Tuerkguecue's managing director Max Kothny told AFP subsidiary SID.
A spokesman for Schalke declined to comment.
The matter is further complicated by the fact Schweinfurt had waived home advantage to play the cup tie at Schalke's stadium in Gelsenkirchen.
Start a Conversation
Post comment