NEW DELHI: James Vince, the England cricketer and captain of Hampshire, has issued a public statement concerning the relentless assaults on his property, which have compelled his family to abandon their residence in Southampton.
Vince and his loved ones had relished the serenity of their village home to the east of Southampton for close to eight years. However, their tranquillity was abruptly disrupted earlier this year when two alarming incidents occurred, targeting Vince's house and vehicles. As a result, the family was left with no choice but to evacuate and live in a state of constant apprehension.
The first attack occurred in the early hours of April 15. Vince, 33, recounted the harrowing experience: "My wife and I woke suddenly to a load of smashing and alarms going off. We had no idea what was going on and it was obviously very unnerving, so we rushed straight to get the kids to make sure they were safe. They were very shaken up," Vince told The Telegraph.
When the authorities reached the location, the assailants were nowhere to be found, having fled the area and leaving a path of devastation in their wake. According to a witness living nearby, a vehicle was observed hastily departing from the vicinity of the incident.
The extent of the destruction inflicted upon the vehicles and residence was significant, forcing the family to vacate the premises for a period of time as restoration work commenced. Despite the implementation of surveillance systems and warning devices, the feeling of security had been permanently compromised.
Just a mere seven days after his return, Vince's deepest worries became a reality on May 1 when another assault occurred. During this incident, he was awake and upstairs in his home.
"That meant I was able to get downstairs quite quickly and had more of a sense of what was going on. It wasn't such a surprise either, because it had happened before. I think they saw the activity in the house and left quickly," he explained.
Vince and his family were subjected to another terrifying attack shortly after midnight, following their attendance at a charity event in support of Chris Wood, Vince's fellow team member. The assailants hurled bricks, shattering the windows of both the vehicles and the residence.
The series of assaults has left Vince and law enforcement officials perplexed. Thorough inquiries conducted by law enforcement agencies, private security firms, and intelligence companies have failed to uncover a definitive reason behind the attacks. Despite the lack of a clear motive, Vince maintains a strong belief that the perpetrators have targeted his family erroneously.
"All the experts we've spoken to say it looks like a money issue, unpaid debts, or something," Vince said. "We have nothing to hide and know we have never been involved in anything like this. We just desperately want this to stop."
Footage from the new security cameras has provided some clues. It shows a man with a torch passing bricks over a wall to another man, who then throws them at the house and cars. The second man wore a hoodie with a Gym King logo and had his face covered. This, Vince hopes, might be a key piece of information to identify the culprits.
The attacks coincidentally took place on days when Hampshire had home matches, adding another layer of mystery. Despite enhanced security measures, the family remains on edge, fearing a third attack. "We don't want to risk the same thing happening again," Vince said. "It's not fair for my wife or children to have to go through it again."
The emotional toll on the family has been immense, especially on Vince's young children. "Something like this is hugely disruptive in our lives, especially for our children, who have understandably been affected and unsettled by the situation. Having said that, I'm amazed and extremely proud of how they have dealt with it. We have received great support locally, and from within cricket," Vince shared.
The family has now turned to the public for help, hoping someone might recognise the attackers or have information that could solve the mystery. "If anyone knows anything, or sees anything in the footage of the attack that could lead to anything, please contact us or Hampshire Police. It could be the final piece of information we need to find out what is going on and get our lives back to normal," Vince urged.
Hampshire Police confirmed the incidents, stating: "Two incidents of criminal damage at an address during the early hours of April 15 and May 11. On both occasions, two cars were damaged, and the front room windows smashed."