IPL 2025 suspended for a week
Mumbai: The remainder of IPL-2025 has been suspended for a week amid heightened tensions between India and Pakistan. The decision followed a meeting of the IPL governing council and was taken in consultation with the Indian government.
In a statement issued on Friday, BCCI secretary Devajit Saikia said, “The BCCI has decided to suspend the remainder of the ongoing IPL with immediate effect for one week. Further updates regarding the new schedule and venues will be announced in due course after a comprehensive assessment of the situation in consultation with relevant authorities and stakeholders.
Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
“The decision was taken by the IPL governing council after due consultation with all key stakeholders, including most franchisees who conveyed the concerns and sentiments of their players, as well as the views of the broadcaster, sponsors, and fans.
“While the BCCI reposes full faith in the strength and preparedness of our armed forces, the board considered it prudent to act in the collective interest of all stakeholders.”
A franchise official told TOI, “The BCCI has formally shared with us that the suspension will currently be for one week — during this time, the situation will be reviewed.”
At this point, it is unclear whether the tournament will resume in India or abroad. The UAE, traditionally a fallback host, appears to be ruled out as the Pakistan Cricket Board announced that the remainder of the Pakistan Super League will be moved there. It later emerged, however, that the PSL may not get to relocate there.
“Give the BCCI some time to decide,” said a top board official. “The easier option was to cancel or indefinitely postpone the IPL, but the BCCI, in consultation with the government, has taken a bold stand to resume the league soon.
“Cancelling or delaying it indefinitely would’ve sent the wrong signal — that we are intimidated by the enemy and unsure of our own security capabilities.”
In a strongly worded statement, the BCCI added, “At this critical juncture, the BCCI stands firmly with the nation. We express our solidarity with the government of India, the armed forces and the people of our country. The board salutes the bravery, courage, and selfless service of our armed forces, whose heroic efforts under Operation Sindoor continue to protect and inspire the nation, as they lead a resolute response to the recent terrorist attacks and the unwarranted aggression by Pakistan’s armed forces.
“While cricket remains a national passion, there is nothing greater than the nation — its sovereignty, integrity, and security. The BCCI remains fully committed to supporting all efforts that safeguard India and will always align its decisions with the best interests of the nation.”
Foreign players jittery
Earlier in the day, the BCCI had informed franchises about the temporary suspension of the IPL. Many foreign players became uneasy after Thursday night’s developments, which saw Pakistan attacking areas close to the border, and expressed a desire to return home. The vulnerability of the tournament became clear when the match between Punjab Kings and Delhi Capitals at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala was abandoned midway for security reasons.
Teams evacuated with ‘utmost secrecy’
The players and support staff of both teams, as well as the broadcast crew, were evacuated with “utmost secrecy” as the airport had been shut.
Other domestic leagues also impacted
The IPL suspension has now led to suspensions of other state leagues. On Friday, the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) announced the postponement of its Bengal Pro T20 League Season 2. The Mumbai league, scheduled to begin on May 26, also faces uncertainty.
“The situation is very unpredictable,” a source told TOI.
Operation Sindoor
Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
“The decision was taken by the IPL governing council after due consultation with all key stakeholders, including most franchisees who conveyed the concerns and sentiments of their players, as well as the views of the broadcaster, sponsors, and fans.
“While the BCCI reposes full faith in the strength and preparedness of our armed forces, the board considered it prudent to act in the collective interest of all stakeholders.”
A franchise official told TOI, “The BCCI has formally shared with us that the suspension will currently be for one week — during this time, the situation will be reviewed.”
At this point, it is unclear whether the tournament will resume in India or abroad. The UAE, traditionally a fallback host, appears to be ruled out as the Pakistan Cricket Board announced that the remainder of the Pakistan Super League will be moved there. It later emerged, however, that the PSL may not get to relocate there.
“Give the BCCI some time to decide,” said a top board official. “The easier option was to cancel or indefinitely postpone the IPL, but the BCCI, in consultation with the government, has taken a bold stand to resume the league soon.
“Cancelling or delaying it indefinitely would’ve sent the wrong signal — that we are intimidated by the enemy and unsure of our own security capabilities.”
In a strongly worded statement, the BCCI added, “At this critical juncture, the BCCI stands firmly with the nation. We express our solidarity with the government of India, the armed forces and the people of our country. The board salutes the bravery, courage, and selfless service of our armed forces, whose heroic efforts under Operation Sindoor continue to protect and inspire the nation, as they lead a resolute response to the recent terrorist attacks and the unwarranted aggression by Pakistan’s armed forces.
“While cricket remains a national passion, there is nothing greater than the nation — its sovereignty, integrity, and security. The BCCI remains fully committed to supporting all efforts that safeguard India and will always align its decisions with the best interests of the nation.”
Foreign players jittery
Earlier in the day, the BCCI had informed franchises about the temporary suspension of the IPL. Many foreign players became uneasy after Thursday night’s developments, which saw Pakistan attacking areas close to the border, and expressed a desire to return home. The vulnerability of the tournament became clear when the match between Punjab Kings and Delhi Capitals at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala was abandoned midway for security reasons.
Teams evacuated with ‘utmost secrecy’
The players and support staff of both teams, as well as the broadcast crew, were evacuated with “utmost secrecy” as the airport had been shut.
Other domestic leagues also impacted
The IPL suspension has now led to suspensions of other state leagues. On Friday, the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) announced the postponement of its Bengal Pro T20 League Season 2. The Mumbai league, scheduled to begin on May 26, also faces uncertainty.
“The situation is very unpredictable,” a source told TOI.
Popular from Sports
- Livvy Dunne relaxes in Florida while while Paul Skenes faces growing doubts
- Taylor Swift lists $14.5M Cape Cod mansion amid breakup rumors while Travis Kelce prepares for what may be his final NFL season
- 'Jis tarah se manage kiya, woh bahut achcha tha': BCCI thanks Indian Railways for special train evacuation from Dharamsala - Watch
- “Another bird out the nest” – LeBron James tears up as his son Bryce James set to embrace big change
- All about Wayne Gretzky’s daughter Paulina Gretzky and her husband Dustin Johnson’s relationship, marriage, and family
end of article
Featured in sports
- 'Bahut achcha tha': BCCI thanks Indian Railways for special train - Watch
- IPL 2025 players start dispersing, overseas lot to head back home too
- Watch: DC and PBKS players arrive in Delhi from Dharamsala
- 'Pakistan Super League 2025 postponed indefinitely'
- Neeraj Chopra Classic postponed amid escalating border tensions
- Watch: Delhi Capitals players' river outing in Dharamsala goes viral
International Sports
- Google’s YouTube could land exclusive NFL Week 1 game, a streaming game-changer in the works
- Chiefs heiress Gracie Hunt turns heads with a show-stopping outfit at a high-profile wedding celebration
- Pittsburgh Steelers ready to dump Aaron Rodgers pursuit as Kirk Cousins trade gains shocking traction
- “I like it when people are Trump fans”: Donald Trump reveals his behind-the-scenes involvement in Shedeur Sanders’ shocking NFL Draft slide
- “Not an ounce of game!”: Kylie Kelce exposes Jason’s awkward flirting days before their romance bloomed
Trending Stories
- India Pakistan Tensions Live Updates
- Operation Sindoor Live Updates
- CBSE Board Result 2025 Date Live: CBSE Class 10 & 12 results soon on results.cbse.nic.in, how to check on DigiLocker, UMANG, SMS, and more
04:29 Operation Sindoor: Several airports in India closed - check full list- Livvy Dunne relaxes in Florida while while Paul Skenes faces growing doubts
- Taylor Swift lists $14.5M Cape Cod mansion amid breakup rumors while Travis Kelce prepares for what may be his final NFL season
- IMF approves $1 billion disbursement to Pakistan despite India's warning over terror funding
Photostories
- Numerology Predictions Today, May 10, 2025: Read your personalized forecast for numbers 1 to 9
- What supplements are good for weight loss in women?
- 6 unique creatures that can survive near volcanoes and how
- Kushboo’s finest Tamil film moments worth remembering
- THIS diet can slow down ageing; here's how
- From Japanese Shiba Inu to Tibetan Mastiff: 10 adorable Asian dogs and what makes them special
- How top Bollywood actresses are embracing one powerful lifestyle change
- From calling Khan Sisters Indian Kardashians to blessing the baby bump; Farah Khan is in awe of Gauahar Khan and Zaid Darbar's lavish home
- What happens to your body when you eat mangoes in summer
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment