CHENNAI:
Barry Richards feels
AB de Villiers’ retirement is not “just a loss just for South African cricket but for world cricket.”
ALSO READ: AB de Villiers retires from international cricket“AB wasn’t just a player who represented South Africa. He was a great ambassador of the game and someone who commanded respect from players across the world. AB calling it quits is a massive loss for cricket as his skills with the willow and sheer presence on the field gave so much joy to those who watched the game,” the South African legend told TOI on Wednesday.
ALSO READ: AB de Villiers retires - Five unforgettable inningsThe 72-year-old acknowledged that de Villiers’ decision to quit the game didn’t entirely come as a surprise.
“He had taken a sabbatical (from Tests from the beginning of 2016 till the end of last year) before making a comeback. AB has a young family and he would want to spend time with them too,” Barry said.
What will de Villiers’ legacy be? “AB’s biggest contribution to the game is that he is a role model for the many South African youngsters who wanted to take up the sport. AB has taken South African cricket to dizzying heights in world cricket. He has been a crucial member of the Proteas side for so many years now, and it will be difficult to fill his shoes,” said Richards, whose international career was cut short by South Africa’s ban from international cricket.
Richards felt that de Villiers will always be remembered for playing the sport in the right spirit. “There are many who have gone on to become legends in the sport. AB, to me, will be right up there with the best not only for the fantastic numbers that he conjured but also for the way he played cricket. He respected the game and played it fair right through his career,” he said.