This story is from April 14, 2021
Seafarers’ body writes to DG shipping for Indian crew’s safety as cargo ship disallowed to leave Suez Canal unless $1bn paid
NEW DELHI: The All India Seafarers’ Union has sent urgent missives to the directorate general of shipping and German ship management company Bernhard Schulte Ship Management (BSM) after giant container ship
The Panama-registered cargo vessel owned by Japanese shipping company Shoei Kisen Kaisha has three crew members from Mumbai and mostly from southern states like Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. The 2 lakh-tonne cargo vessel, which ran aground at the Suez Canal on March 23 for over a week, is still stuck in Egypt’s Great Bitter Lake as it has not been allowed to leave.
“The vessel will remain here until investigations are complete and compensation ($1 billion) is paid,” Lt Gen Osama Rabie, who leads the
In his letters to the DG shipping and BSM, union working president Abhijeet D
Talking to TOI, Sangle said, “The Suez Canal Authority estimates the losses from the week ending March 29, when the Ever Given was stuck (at the canal) and blocked traffic through the canal, at $95 million in lost transit fees. There are also the costs to free the ship and other expenses to reimburse.”
He said, “There are now two captains on board the ship. First is from Kerala who was leading the ship when the accident happened. The second captain from Chennai is also on board to replace the first one. Other crew members are from Mumbai, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, & some from north India.”
Talking to TOI earlier, DG shipping Amitabh Kumar had said, “If we receive any complaint from the company that the inquiry is not impartial, then of course we will intervene. But so far we have not received any such complaint.”
When the Ever Given was stuck, over 400 cargo vessels and tankers were stranded on both sides of the Suez Canal and Egyptian authorities suffered huge financial losses. It took over 12 days since March 23 for Egyptian authorities to clear the ship backlog from the 193-km strategic passage connecting the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea.
Ever Given
, with 25 Indian crew members on board, was disallowed by the Egyptian authorities to leave the Suez Canal until the owners of the ship pay up $1 billion in compensation for the canal blockage last month. The union demanded that the “Indian crew should be safe and sound, and well-treated by the Egyptian authorities”.“The vessel will remain here until investigations are complete and compensation ($1 billion) is paid,” Lt Gen Osama Rabie, who leads the
Suez Canal Authority
, told a local news station recently. “We hope for a speedy agreement,” he said, adding that the “minute they agree to compensation, the vessel will be allowed to move.”In his letters to the DG shipping and BSM, union working president Abhijeet D
Sangle
demanded that the “Indian crew on board at Ever Given should not be held hostage by the Egyptian authorities. They should be well-treated... In case it gets any complaint, we (union) will definitely demand for the sign-off (of the crew) as soon as possible.”Talking to TOI, Sangle said, “The Suez Canal Authority estimates the losses from the week ending March 29, when the Ever Given was stuck (at the canal) and blocked traffic through the canal, at $95 million in lost transit fees. There are also the costs to free the ship and other expenses to reimburse.”
He said, “There are now two captains on board the ship. First is from Kerala who was leading the ship when the accident happened. The second captain from Chennai is also on board to replace the first one. Other crew members are from Mumbai, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, & some from north India.”
Talking to TOI earlier, DG shipping Amitabh Kumar had said, “If we receive any complaint from the company that the inquiry is not impartial, then of course we will intervene. But so far we have not received any such complaint.”
When the Ever Given was stuck, over 400 cargo vessels and tankers were stranded on both sides of the Suez Canal and Egyptian authorities suffered huge financial losses. It took over 12 days since March 23 for Egyptian authorities to clear the ship backlog from the 193-km strategic passage connecting the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea.
Top Comment
Jude De
1309 days ago
Wow ! That's the only thing this corrupt and inept union is capable of doing, besides boasting !!!Read allPost comment
Popular from India
- Atleast 10 newborns dead after massive fire erupts in Jhansi hospital, rescue operations underway
- Mutton mayhem: BJP MP's feast turns chaotic over missing meat
- 'Batenge to katenge': Has Yogi Adityanath's slogan divided Maharashtra's Mahayuti?
- 'Can't save religion when deputy CM's wife busy making reels': Kanhaiya Kumar's remarks on Devendra Fadnavis' wife Amruta sparks row
- After Ajit Pawar, BJP netas too oppose 'Batenge toh...' slogan
end of article
Trending Stories
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Live streaming, full match card, when and where to watch fight in India and USA
- Delhi pollution: GRAP 3 curbs to be imposed from November 15 as residents choke
- 'Can't save religion when deputy CM's wife busy making reels': Kanhaiya Kumar's remarks on Devendra Fadnavis' wife Amruta sparks row
- When Tulsi Gabbard clarified her nationality: 'I am not of Indian origin'
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Boxing legend and YouTube sensation collide in historic bout
- Finally, Prince Harry may return to the Royal Family as his biggest enemy is retiring
- Trish Stratus' dating history: List of all WWE Superstars she has dated
Visual Stories
- 10 desert animals of India
- How to make high-protein Soya-Paneer Biryani
- 8 traditional baby girl names that sound modern
- 10 rare animal species found only in China
- How to grow Strawberry in home garden during winters
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT