• News
  • India News
  • 'No security threat here': Bangladesh questions India's move to recall diplomats' families

'No security threat here': Bangladesh questions India's move to recall diplomats' families

'No security threat here': Bangladesh questions India's move to recall diplomats' families
.
Bangladesh on Wednesday said that there was no security situation that justified India recalling the family members of its diplomats from Dhaka. This comes after New Delhi cited precautionary safety concerns amid rising extremist activity ahead of the country’s general elections.Bangladesh’s foreign affairs Adviser Md Touhid Hossain said that there was “no reason” for such a move and maintained that foreign diplomats and their families were not facing any threat in the country. Addressing a media briefing at the foreign ministry, Hossain said, “There is no situation here that would indicate danger (for Indian diplomats).” He added that Bangladesh had not received any formal communication from India flagging specific security concerns.Calling the decision an internal matter of India, Hossain said, “It is entirely their internal matter. They (India) can ask their officials or families to leave at any time.” He added that Bangladesh had no objection if Indian diplomats chose to send their family members back. “If they want to do so, there is nothing we can do about it,” he said.Hossain, who has earlier served as Bangladesh’s deputy high commissioner in India, said he could not identify a clear reason behind the move.
“Perhaps (India) they have some apprehension or want to convey a message, but I cannot identify any clear reason,” he said.India last week advised the families of its diplomats and officials posted in Bangladesh to return home, weeks before the February 12 elections, citing security concerns following increased activities of extremist elements.India has its High Commission in Dhaka and diplomatic posts in Khulna, Chattogram, Rajshahi and Sylhet.Despite the recall of family members, the five Indian diplomatic missions in Bangladesh continue to function normally. The Indian High Commission in Dhaka also hosted a reception to mark India’s Republic Day, officials said.Earlier, Indian government sources said the decision to advise dependents of mission and post officials to return to India was taken as a precautionary measure. “Given the security situation, as a precautionary measure, we have advised the dependents of mission and post officials to return to India. The mission and all posts in Bangladesh continue to remain open and operational,” an official source said, adding that the Indian mission was functioning at full strength.According to sources, the move followed recent anti-India protests that were feared could escalate. “It’s for the time being and will be reviewed later,” an official said on condition of anonymity.In India’s neighbourhood, Afghanistan remains the only posting where Indian officials are not accompanied by their families. While diplomats in Pakistan are technically allowed to take their families, they generally avoid doing so following past security advisories.
author
About the AuthorTOI News Desk

The TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most."

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media