Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Nitish Kumar orders CBI probe into Rs 1,000 crore Bhagalpur Srijan scam

Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has recommended CBI probe into ... Read More
NEW DELHI/PATNA: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has recommended CBI probe into

Bhagalpur Srijan scam

, according to an official statement.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
The Rs 1,000 crore Srijan scam involves alleged transfer of government funds to private accounts between 2005 and 2013 when BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi was the finance minister.

Nitish Kumar has asked the state chief secretary to hand over the entire matter related to fraudulent withdrawal of government funds to the CBI.

A communique from CM Office says "Since involvement of some nationalised banks and several government and bank officials have came into light in police probe till date, the government found it a fit case to hand over to CBI for further investigation and necessary action."

Leader of opposition Tejashwi Yadav had on Thursday demanded a CBI probe into the scam. His father and Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad also reiterated his demands for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.

After days of investigation, a Special Investigation Team said crores were diverted from the bank accounts of different departments, including Mukhyamantri Shahari Vikas Yojna in Bhagalpur district, with the help of NGO

Srijan Sahayog Mahila Vikas Samiti

.
Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

So far, eight people have been arrested, including Prem Kumar, an aide of the Bhagalpur District Magistrate, in connection with the scam.

(With inputs from Madan Kumar in Patna)

Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information