Delhi blast: Tracking the Hyundai i20 that exploded near Red Fort - drove through Capital for hours, crossed Badarpur border at 8am
Delhi Police are piecing together a detailed 11-hour trail of the Hyundai i20 that exploded near the Red Fort on Monday evening, killing at least twelve people and injuring several others. CCTV footage and communication records are being used as key evidence as agencies probe what investigators believe may have been a terror attack.
Delhi Red Fort blast: Follow live updates
According to ANI, the vehicle started its journey in Faridabad early on Monday and was caught on cameras across multiple locations before the blast. Police say the car was driven by a lone occupant who appears masked in CCTV clips. The explosion set nearby vehicles ablaze and flung human remains and car parts across a wide radius, leaving an immediate scene of fire and chaos.
The case has now been transferred to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), after a review led by Home Minister Amit Shah, PTI reported. With eight people arrested earlier the same day in connection with a wider terror module linked to Jaish-e-Mohammed and Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, the blast is being investigated as part of a larger conspiracy spanning Kashmir, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
How the car moved: route mapped in 11 hours, as reported by ANI:
Investigators told ANI the car was driven slowly before the blast — a detail that has prompted agencies to probe whether another location was the intended target. The Rapid Action Force, Crime Branch, FSL teams and Delhi Police sealed the area and evacuated tourists soon after the explosion.
Sources told ANI that after a Faridabad terror module was busted earlier on Monday, the suspected driver may have switched to a fidayeen-style strike to maximise casualties and avoid arrest. More than 100 CCTV clips from toll plazas and city roads are now under scrutiny, with route tracking extending into Delhi’s old quarters around Daryaganj and Paharganj.
PTI reported that investigators have zeroed in on Dr Umar Nabi, a doctor from Lethpora, Pulwama, believed to be behind the wheel of the i20. Nabi is thought to have died in the blast, and Jammu and Kashmir Police have taken his mother’s DNA sample to match remains recovered from the mangled car.
Umar was reportedly linked to two doctors arrested earlier in the Faridabad module — Dr Muzammil Ganaie and Dr Shaheen Sayeed, both connected to Al-Falah University, from where 360 kg of ammonium nitrate was seized. Investigators allege Shaheen led Jaish-e-Mohammed’s women recruitment wing in India. PTI said Umar feared he would be caught after the arrests and may have carried out the attack to avoid capture.
Police say the i20 was given to Umar by a man named Tariq from Pulwama, who is now under arrest. Four people have also been detained in Kashmir, with two moved for joint interrogation by Delhi Police and intelligence agencies.
Preliminary forensic examination suggests ammonium nitrate, fuel oil and detonators could have been used — similar to material seized hours before the attack. A suicide strike has not been ruled out.
At least twelve people were killed as reported by PTI and 30 injured, with bodies and metal fragments scattered up to 25 metres from the scene. Three nearby vehicles caught fire as plumes of smoke and flame shot into the air. Police commissioner Satish Golcha said the car was moving slowly when it reached a traffic signal at 6:52 pm and then exploded. Seven fire tenders, Delhi Police, the Special Cell, NSG and NIA teams rushed to the spot.
Investigators are scanning dump data from mobile networks around Red Fort to identify devices that went inactive immediately after the blast — a sign of possible accomplices switching off phones. CCTV footage shows only one person inside the car and police are examining footage of multiple parking lots where the vehicle waited for three hours.
The car was registered in Gurgaon to a man named Salman, but was later transferred and allegedly fell into the hands of the Pulwama module. Delhi Police have registered a case under the UAPA and the Explosives Act. A city-wide alert has been sounded: all border points are checking vehicles, the Red Fort Metro Station remains closed, and advisory-led traffic diversions are in place.
Hotels and guest houses in Daryaganj and Paharganj have been searched for possible accomplices. Mobile phones, IPDR data and communication records linked to Faridabad and NCR are being analysed.
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
According to ANI, the vehicle started its journey in Faridabad early on Monday and was caught on cameras across multiple locations before the blast. Police say the car was driven by a lone occupant who appears masked in CCTV clips. The explosion set nearby vehicles ablaze and flung human remains and car parts across a wide radius, leaving an immediate scene of fire and chaos.
The case has now been transferred to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), after a review led by Home Minister Amit Shah, PTI reported. With eight people arrested earlier the same day in connection with a wider terror module linked to Jaish-e-Mohammed and Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, the blast is being investigated as part of a larger conspiracy spanning Kashmir, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
How the car moved: route mapped in 11 hours, as reported by ANI:
- 7.30am: Car first sighted outside Asian Hospital, Faridabad
- 8.13am: Crosses Badarpur toll plaza and enters Delhi
- 8.20am: Spotted near a petrol pump in Okhla Industrial Area
- 3.19pm: Enters parking near Red Fort complex; stays for ~3 hours
- 6.22pm: Car leaves parking and moves towards Red Fort
- 6.52pm: Massive explosion inside the slow-moving car
Sources told ANI that after a Faridabad terror module was busted earlier on Monday, the suspected driver may have switched to a fidayeen-style strike to maximise casualties and avoid arrest. More than 100 CCTV clips from toll plazas and city roads are now under scrutiny, with route tracking extending into Delhi’s old quarters around Daryaganj and Paharganj.
Pulwama doctor under scanner; DNA match underway
PTI reported that investigators have zeroed in on Dr Umar Nabi, a doctor from Lethpora, Pulwama, believed to be behind the wheel of the i20. Nabi is thought to have died in the blast, and Jammu and Kashmir Police have taken his mother’s DNA sample to match remains recovered from the mangled car.
Umar was reportedly linked to two doctors arrested earlier in the Faridabad module — Dr Muzammil Ganaie and Dr Shaheen Sayeed, both connected to Al-Falah University, from where 360 kg of ammonium nitrate was seized. Investigators allege Shaheen led Jaish-e-Mohammed’s women recruitment wing in India. PTI said Umar feared he would be caught after the arrests and may have carried out the attack to avoid capture.
Police say the i20 was given to Umar by a man named Tariq from Pulwama, who is now under arrest. Four people have also been detained in Kashmir, with two moved for joint interrogation by Delhi Police and intelligence agencies.
Preliminary forensic examination suggests ammonium nitrate, fuel oil and detonators could have been used — similar to material seized hours before the attack. A suicide strike has not been ruled out.
Blast impact, panic and investigation
At least twelve people were killed as reported by PTI and 30 injured, with bodies and metal fragments scattered up to 25 metres from the scene. Three nearby vehicles caught fire as plumes of smoke and flame shot into the air. Police commissioner Satish Golcha said the car was moving slowly when it reached a traffic signal at 6:52 pm and then exploded. Seven fire tenders, Delhi Police, the Special Cell, NSG and NIA teams rushed to the spot.
Investigators are scanning dump data from mobile networks around Red Fort to identify devices that went inactive immediately after the blast — a sign of possible accomplices switching off phones. CCTV footage shows only one person inside the car and police are examining footage of multiple parking lots where the vehicle waited for three hours.
Hotels and guest houses in Daryaganj and Paharganj have been searched for possible accomplices. Mobile phones, IPDR data and communication records linked to Faridabad and NCR are being analysed.
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
Top Comment
Y
Yoga N Mani
14 hours ago
On 12 June 2023 , I wrote the following in a Comment on the incident in which an armoured suicider's Jeep collided with a Truck of Indian Army inside a Tunnel in SRINAGAR and killed five Army Jawans : " India has IB. India has RAW. India has Police. These are old Agencies. This Government has a Super Intelligence-gatherer who has a Cabinet Rank . The reality is that PRECEDING THE RECENT EXPLOSION IN SRINAGAR an armoured Jeep roamed around Srinagar FOR TWO WEEKS but City Police did not see it as suspicious activity. Shah expects that the COMMON MAN who has voted for Shah trusting him to prevent Bomb-blasts, WOULD SEE THE JEEP AND TELL SHAH "SIR JI,GAADI GHOOM RAHI HAIN TURANT AAKAR USKA CHAKKA KO PUNCTURE KAREEYAY"Srinagar is where ONLY a Terrorist can blow up a Vehicle. Delhi is the Capital City of Mother of DEMOCRACIES. RED FORT IS WHERE LEADER JI SPEAKS OF PEACE AND HAPPINESS EVERY YEAR IN AUGUST. RED FORT IS NOT FAR FROM RAJ GHAT WHERE THE APOSTLE OF PEACE SLEEPS HIS ETERNAL SLEEP.If a Car burns at Red Fort, it may be for a thousand reasons and Terrorism will be the thousandth reason. History bears this out. For reason that is linked to Mother of Democracy India holding an Election in Bihar which Government win , within the first hour after a car CAUGHT FIRE opposite Red Fort and the fire spread to the Petrol Tank and BANG WENT THE CAR , the Government declared the BANG as Terrorism Having done it, the Government told us to believe that the BANG was Terrorism because " Salman bought the car from the Dealer and Devendra bought it from Salman ; fictitious IDs were used and one of them was also of a Pulwama resident ; the multiplicity of ownership of the vehicle is a preferred modus operandi of terrorist groups while choosing a vehicle for SVB-IED attacks; as there were at least three people , it was a hired/rented car because suicide attacks usually involve one-two persons" Though the Home Minister was satisfied with this iron -clad proof, Delhiâ s super Cop is looking for additional evidence. Till now, he has come up with : the vehicle started its journey in Faridabad early on Monday morning and was caught by CCTV Cameras at multiple locations before the blast . The car was driven by a LONE occupant in CCTV clips. ... The car stayed in Red Fort area approximately for three hours ... the car moved slowly before the blast ... in WHAT INVESTIGATORS BELIEVE MAY HAVE BEEN A TERROR ATTACK" On this strong evidence the Police has registered the case as Terrorism!Opposite Red Fort is the Paranthe Wali Gali. You enter the Gali with a Nose that smells and a Stomach that pleads , you are still in that Gali after three hours. When you do emerge , the Ghantewala Mithai beckons you. I hope the police caps visiting time to Red Fort including the historic Galis in Chandni p Chowk to 30 mtsRead allPost comment
Popular from India
- Delhi blast: Was Red Fort attack planned for January 26? What Faridabad doctor's phone revealed
- On death row for 16 years, Nithari accused Koli will now walk free
- Red Fort blast: Was Hyundai i-20 car parked at Al-Falah University for over 10 days? What Faridabad police said
- Bihar exit polls 2025: NDA to roar back to power with 148 seats; what pollsters said
- Explosives collected over 2 years for multi-city strike: Shaheen
end of article
Trending Stories
- Delhi Red Fort Blast Live Updates: Delhi, J&K hold candlelight march in solidarity with car blast victims
- Michael Duarte cause of death: How did the food influencer FoodWithBearHands die
- Delhi blast: Was Red Fort attack planned for January 26? What Faridabad doctor's phone revealed
- Red Fort blast a revenge strike: Jaish-e-Muhammed planned it after Operation Sindoor damaged Pakistan HQ
- Red Fort blast captured on CCTV: Exact moment when Hyundai i20 bursts into fireball on busy street packed with vehicles - watch
- 'She is my wife, nothing to hide': Rashid Khan clarifies viral photo, confirms marriage in heartfelt post
- CAT admit card 2025 released: Download from iimcat.ac.in for November 30 exam
Featured in India
- Bomb scare: Threat mail sent to Delhi's IGIA, 4 other airports named; AI Express flight evacuated
- ‘Terror may strike our cities, but will never shake our souls’: Netanyahu shares message after Delhi blast; gives condolences
- Why women voters are central to NDA’s confidence after Bihar’s record polling
- Absconding or killed in explosion? AIIMS receives DNA samples of mother and brother of Red Fort blast suspect Umar Nabi; forensic lab to analyse
- Evening news wrap: PM Modi meets Delhi blast victims; Police launch hunt for second car linked to terror suspects & more
- 'White-collar terror module, red car': What's emerging in Delhi blast probe - key points
Photostories
- Gastroenterologist explains the earliest signs of nutrient deficiency
- Janhvi Kapoor to Rhea Chakraborty: Top celebrity fashion moments to bookmark for the day
- 6 Rahu and Ketu temples in India that every devotee must visit
- Egg versus Paneer: Which is a better source of protein for breakfast
- 7 plants that make the home aquarium look like a beautiful ecosystem
- 8 Things done by parents that secretly stress the child out
- 7 habits that will help your child become a future leader
- 5 times gentle parenting is not the best way out there
- Ishaan Khatter’s journey from Bollywood beginnings to international acclaim
- Explained: 10 must-know facts about Faridabad’s Al-Falah University
Videos
03:49 After Spending 16 Years on Death Row, 'Nithari Killer' Surinder Koli Set Free by Supreme Court02:45 Gujarat: 2 Workers Killed, 20 Injured After Boiler Explosion At Pharma Factory In Bharuch06:44 Delhi Blast: PM Modi Meets Victims At LNJP Hospital, Promises Swift Action Against Attack Culprits09:18 India’s Growth Story Is Built On Scale, Youth, And Resilience, Says World Bank Economist03:21 'You Don’t Have Talent in US': Donald Trump’s Shocking Shift on H-1B Visa Policy Debate03:45 How Kashmir’s Jaish Posters Led To Delhi’s Red Fort Blast And Exposed A Nationwide Terror Network03:59 ‘Only Agencies Know the Truth’: Brother of Delhi Blast Accused Breaks Silence04:20 Slow Traffic, Then Sudden Fireball: CCTV Captures The Delhi Red Fort Blast That Killed At Least 1013:14 Modern Warfare Has Changed: Indian Army Chief General Dwivedi Calls To Redefine Air Defence Doctrine
Up Next