Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda
NEW DELHI: Union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting with health secretaries of all states and Union territories to review preparedness and response measures against Ebola virus disease, following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The review comes as Ebola cases in Uganda and DR Congo has crossed the death toll of 100 people.
The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.
The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.
Also read: Ebola outbreak in DR Congo kills 139: Is a vaccine on the way?
During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.
The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.
The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.
The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.
Also read: Ebola returns - How this outbreak is different from before
The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.
The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.
The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.
WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.
The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.
Also read: Ebola outbreak in DR Congo kills 139: Is a vaccine on the way?
During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.
The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.
The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.
Also read: Ebola returns - How this outbreak is different from before
The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.
The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.
WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.
Comments (9)
O
OmiMost Interacted
4 hours ago
Who are there in Congo and Uganda the lookalikes Keralites again?...Read More
1 Reply
0
1
Reply
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL 2026 Playoff Qualification Scenarios: With 5 matches to go, RR hold edge as PBKS and KKR chase the final spot — paths for each team explained
- IPL 2026 | Hardik Pandya left stunned after Robin Minz and Deepak Chahar's comedy of errors - WATCH
- NFL Trade Rumors: Dallas Cowboys linked to $22.5 million Minnesota Vikings star in potential defensive fix
- Patrick Mahomes comeback rumors spiral into chaos after latest rehab update leaves Chiefs fans unsettled
- NFL Trade Rumors: San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears could pursue $9M Washington Commanders linebacker
- NFL Trade Rumors: Kansas City Chiefs linked to Philadelphia Eagles' $12M WR after Rashee Rice setback
- IPL 2026: Mumbai Indians become second team in IPL history to ...
Featured in India
- From 'Melodi' camaraderie to strategic deals: Key takeaways from PM Modi’s Italy visit
- Heatwave alert for Delhi, UP, Punjab, Haryana and more: What to expect over next 5 days
- 'Bombs its own people': India slams Pakistan at UNSC, flags 'long-tainted record of genocidal acts'
- India's Permanent Representative to UN calls for protection of civilians during conflict
- Falta repolling: Voting under way in West Bengal's high-stakes seat amid tight security
- Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda
Videos
- STORY FALTA REPOLL BEGINS
- TMC Alleges Post-Poll Violence, Harassment Of Workers During Kolkata Protest
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea03:21 Who Is Ryan Williams? Footballer Who Gave Up Australian Citizenship To Play For India04:22 Congress To Join Tamil Nadu Cabinet After 59 Years As Vijay Expands TVK Government05:53 India, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi's 'Melody' Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@905:42 Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A Catch
Photostories
- Art quote of the day by Oscar Wilde: “God and other artists are always a little obscure”
- The body check: What dry, cracked heels can say about diabetes, thyroid, and health
- Thought of the day inspired by the Bhagavad Gita: "Sometimes surrender is greater than control."
- From turmeric to aloe vera: 5 most Googled Indian beauty ingredients of 2026
- 10 twin baby boy and girl names that are super cute
- They never smoked, but they got mouth cancer: What doctors want young people to know now
- Bella Hadid’s Cannes 2026 looks are a masterclass in quiet luxury glamour
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- Morning affirmation at 5 am: What happens when your brain hears positive words before sunrise
- International Tea Day 2026: 6 culinary uses of tea leaves apart from making tea
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media