Red Fort blast: Explosion occurred in Hyundai i20 car, team reached within 10 minutes - what we know so far
NEW DELHI: A blast occurred in an Hyundai i20 car parked near Lal Qila Metro Station near Gate No 1 (Red Fort Metro station) on Monday evening, prompting authorities to rush seven fire tenders to the spot. At least eight people died and 24 injured in the blast. Delhi Police detained the owner of the car, PTI reported citing officials.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union home minister Amit Shah have taken stock of the situation.
PM Modi extended his condolences to all those who lost their lives in the incident. "Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones in the blast in Delhi earlier this evening. May the injured recover at the earliest. Those affected are being assisted by authorities. Reviewed the situation with Home Minister Amit Shah Ji and other officials," he said.
High alert has been sounded in the city.
The area has been cordoned off. Reason of explosion is not yet known. "As of now, I can't tell you anything. Investigation is being done," ANI quoted a Delhi Police official saying.
Also read: 8 dead in car blast near Delhi's Red Fort; high alert sounded across city
A call was received regarding an explosion in a car near Gate No. 1 of the Red Fort Metro Station, after which three to four vehicles also caught fire and sustained damage. A total of 7 fire tenders have reached the spot. A team from the Delhi Police Special Cell has also reached the spot. Further details awaited, ANI reported citing the fire department.
Also read: ‘Saw a hand on road’ - Eye witnesses recount moments after Delhi blast - watch
Delhi Police detained Md Salman, the registered owner of the car from Gurugram, Haryana. He told police he had sold the car to a man in Delhi’s Okhla area, though it was still registered in his name with a Haryana number plate.
“Delhi Police along with Gurugram police detained Md Salman on Monday and is questioning him about the car. He had sold it to a person in Okhla named Devendra. Later, the vehicle was again sold to someone in Ambala and police are tracing the people,” PTI quoted a senior police officer saying.
Union home minister informed that the blast occurred in Hyundai i20 car at the Subhash Marg traffic signal near the Red Fort in Delhi.
"This evening, around 7 pm, a blast occurred in a Hyundai i20 car at the Subhash Marg traffic signal near the Red Fort in Delhi. The blast injured some pedestrians and damaged some vehicles. Preliminary reports indicate that some people have lost their lives. Within 10 minutes of receiving the information of the blast, teams from the Delhi Crime Branch and Delhi Special Branch arrived at the spot," he said.
"The NSG and NIA teams, along with the FSL, have now begun a thorough investigation. Orders have been given to examine all nearby CCTV cameras. I have also spoken to the Delhi CP and the Special Branch in-charge. The Delhi CP and the Special Branch in-charge are present at the spot. We are exploring all possibilities and will conduct a thorough investigation, taking all possibilities into account. All options will be investigated immediately and we will present the results to the public. I will be heading to the spot shortly and will also visit the hospital immediately," he added.
Prime Minster Narendra Modi has taken stock of the situation, according to sources. He has been briefed by Union home Minister Amit Shah.
Shah promptly contacted the Delhi Police Commissioner following the incident. He also visited the Lok Nayak Hospital to meet the injured.
Teams from the NSG, NIA, and forensic department were swiftly deployed to the scene. Shah is also in constant communication with the Intelligence Bureau (IB) Director to monitor developments related to the Delhi incident.
Delhi CM Rekha Gupta ensured "every very possible assistance for the affected people".
"The incident of the car explosion near the Red Fort is extremely distressing and alarming. To those who have lost their loved ones in this tragic accident, I express my deepest condolences. I pray to God that the injured recover swiftly. Every possible assistance is being ensured for the affected people. Teams from the Delhi Police, NSG, NIA, and FSL are working together on a thorough investigation of the entire matter. I request all Delhi residents to avoid rumours and maintain peace. Please rely only on official information issued by the police and administration," she said in a post on X.
At least eight people died and 24 people have been injured in the incident.
Providing details about the incident, Delhi Police Commissioner Satish Golcha said, "Today at around 6.52 pm, a slow-moving vehicle stopped at the red light. An explosion happened in that vehicle, and due to the explosion, nearby vehicles were also damaged. All agencies, FSL, NIA, are here."
"Some people have died, and some have been injured in the incident. The situation is being monitored. The home minister has also called us, and information is being shared with him from time to time," he added.
High alert has been sounded in the national capital, along with Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Kerala, Chandigarh, Haryana and Rajasthan.
Chandni Chowk market will remain closed on Tuesday, PTI cited market association president Sanjay Bhargaw saying.
"All security agencies have also been alerted. Police in all districts of Uttar Pradesh have been put on alert. An order was issued from Lucknow to increase patrols and checks in sensitive areas," ANI quoted Uttar Pradesh ADG law and order Amitabh Yash saying.
Also read: Blast in parked car near Delhi's Red For; videos show panic chaos at site
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
High alert has been sounded in the city.
The area has been cordoned off. Reason of explosion is not yet known. "As of now, I can't tell you anything. Investigation is being done," ANI quoted a Delhi Police official saying.
Also read: 8 dead in car blast near Delhi's Red Fort; high alert sounded across city
Also read: ‘Saw a hand on road’ - Eye witnesses recount moments after Delhi blast - watch
What we know so far:
Delhi Police detains vehicle's owner in Gurugram
Delhi Police detained Md Salman, the registered owner of the car from Gurugram, Haryana. He told police he had sold the car to a man in Delhi’s Okhla area, though it was still registered in his name with a Haryana number plate.
“Delhi Police along with Gurugram police detained Md Salman on Monday and is questioning him about the car. He had sold it to a person in Okhla named Devendra. Later, the vehicle was again sold to someone in Ambala and police are tracing the people,” PTI quoted a senior police officer saying.
Amit Shah briefs on the situation
Union home minister informed that the blast occurred in Hyundai i20 car at the Subhash Marg traffic signal near the Red Fort in Delhi.
"This evening, around 7 pm, a blast occurred in a Hyundai i20 car at the Subhash Marg traffic signal near the Red Fort in Delhi. The blast injured some pedestrians and damaged some vehicles. Preliminary reports indicate that some people have lost their lives. Within 10 minutes of receiving the information of the blast, teams from the Delhi Crime Branch and Delhi Special Branch arrived at the spot," he said.
"The NSG and NIA teams, along with the FSL, have now begun a thorough investigation. Orders have been given to examine all nearby CCTV cameras. I have also spoken to the Delhi CP and the Special Branch in-charge. The Delhi CP and the Special Branch in-charge are present at the spot. We are exploring all possibilities and will conduct a thorough investigation, taking all possibilities into account. All options will be investigated immediately and we will present the results to the public. I will be heading to the spot shortly and will also visit the hospital immediately," he added.
PM Modi takes stock of the situation; NIA team reaches spot
Prime Minster Narendra Modi has taken stock of the situation, according to sources. He has been briefed by Union home Minister Amit Shah.
Shah promptly contacted the Delhi Police Commissioner following the incident. He also visited the Lok Nayak Hospital to meet the injured.
Teams from the NSG, NIA, and forensic department were swiftly deployed to the scene. Shah is also in constant communication with the Intelligence Bureau (IB) Director to monitor developments related to the Delhi incident.
Delhi CM Rekha Gupta ensured "every very possible assistance for the affected people".
8 dead, 24 injured
At least eight people died and 24 people have been injured in the incident.
"Some people have died, and some have been injured in the incident. The situation is being monitored. The home minister has also called us, and information is being shared with him from time to time," he added.
Alert sounded in Delhi, Bihar, Maharashtra, UP and other states
High alert has been sounded in the national capital, along with Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Kerala, Chandigarh, Haryana and Rajasthan.
Chandni Chowk market will remain closed on Tuesday, PTI cited market association president Sanjay Bhargaw saying.
"All security agencies have also been alerted. Police in all districts of Uttar Pradesh have been put on alert. An order was issued from Lucknow to increase patrols and checks in sensitive areas," ANI quoted Uttar Pradesh ADG law and order Amitabh Yash saying.
Also read: Blast in parked car near Delhi's Red For; videos show panic chaos at site
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
Top Comment
n
null
1 day ago
Wehave noticed that anIndigangs are yet to an issue condolences to the bereaved family & those an injured in this blast in view to reap votesofk2e.Read allPost comment
Popular from India
- Delhi blast: Was Red Fort attack planned for January 26? What Faridabad doctor's phone revealed
- On death row for 16 years, Nithari accused Koli will now walk free
- Red Fort blast: Was Hyundai i-20 car parked at Al-Falah University for over 10 days? What Faridabad police said
- Bihar exit polls 2025: NDA to roar back to power with 148 seats; what pollsters said
- Explosives collected over 2 years for multi-city strike: Shaheen
end of article
Trending Stories
- Delhi Red Fort Blast Live Updates: Delhi, J&K hold candlelight march in solidarity with car blast victims
- Michael Duarte cause of death: How did the food influencer FoodWithBearHands die
- Delhi blast: Was Red Fort attack planned for January 26? What Faridabad doctor's phone revealed
- Red Fort blast a revenge strike: Jaish-e-Muhammed planned it after Operation Sindoor damaged Pakistan HQ
- Red Fort blast captured on CCTV: Exact moment when Hyundai i20 bursts into fireball on busy street packed with vehicles - watch
- 'She is my wife, nothing to hide': Rashid Khan clarifies viral photo, confirms marriage in heartfelt post
- CAT admit card 2025 released: Download from iimcat.ac.in for November 30 exam
Featured in India
- Bomb scare: Threat mail sent to Delhi's IGIA, 4 other airports named; AI Express flight evacuated
- ‘Terror may strike our cities, but will never shake our souls’: Netanyahu shares message after Delhi blast; gives condolences
- Why women voters are central to NDA’s confidence after Bihar’s record polling
- Absconding or killed in explosion? AIIMS receives DNA samples of mother and brother of Red Fort blast suspect Umar Nabi; forensic lab to analyse
- Evening news wrap: PM Modi meets Delhi blast victims; Police launch hunt for second car linked to terror suspects & more
- 'White-collar terror module, red car': What's emerging in Delhi blast probe - key points
Photostories
- Gastroenterologist explains the earliest signs of nutrient deficiency
- Janhvi Kapoor to Rhea Chakraborty: Top celebrity fashion moments to bookmark for the day
- 6 Rahu and Ketu temples in India that every devotee must visit
- Egg versus Paneer: Which is a better source of protein for breakfast
- 7 plants that make the home aquarium look like a beautiful ecosystem
- 8 Things done by parents that secretly stress the child out
- 7 habits that will help your child become a future leader
- 5 times gentle parenting is not the best way out there
- Ishaan Khatter’s journey from Bollywood beginnings to international acclaim
- Explained: 10 must-know facts about Faridabad’s Al-Falah University
Videos
03:49 After Spending 16 Years on Death Row, 'Nithari Killer' Surinder Koli Set Free by Supreme Court02:45 Gujarat: 2 Workers Killed, 20 Injured After Boiler Explosion At Pharma Factory In Bharuch06:44 Delhi Blast: PM Modi Meets Victims At LNJP Hospital, Promises Swift Action Against Attack Culprits09:18 India’s Growth Story Is Built On Scale, Youth, And Resilience, Says World Bank Economist03:21 'You Don’t Have Talent in US': Donald Trump’s Shocking Shift on H-1B Visa Policy Debate03:45 How Kashmir’s Jaish Posters Led To Delhi’s Red Fort Blast And Exposed A Nationwide Terror Network03:59 ‘Only Agencies Know the Truth’: Brother of Delhi Blast Accused Breaks Silence04:20 Slow Traffic, Then Sudden Fireball: CCTV Captures The Delhi Red Fort Blast That Killed At Least 1013:14 Modern Warfare Has Changed: Indian Army Chief General Dwivedi Calls To Redefine Air Defence Doctrine
Up Next