This story is from April 10, 2016

Bharathirajaa didn't bother to even attend my call

Things have not been well between two award-winning filmmakers ' Bharathirajaa and Bala.
Bharathirajaa didn't bother to even attend my call
Things have not been well between two award-winning filmmakers ' Bharathirajaa and Bala ' for quite some time now. The source of their disgruntlement is the subject of their upcoming projects. Recently, Bharathirajaa had launched his film, Kutraparambarai, which is based on the struggle by certain communities against a British Act that branded them as thieves and robbers, and resulted in the Perungamanallur Massacre of 1920.
1x1 polls
At a recent press meet, director Bala issued a stern warning to Bharathirajaa and writer Rathna Kumar for claiming that he is making a film based on their script. Bala said, 'Both Rathna Kumar and Bharathirajaa have pushed me to a stage where I'm forced to go public. Firstly, I am not making a film with the title Kutraparambarai. Secondly, my film is inspired by Kootaanchoru, a novel by Vela Ramamoorthy. The second edition of the novel was published with the title Kutraparambarai, and I have just taken a story from the novel ' a fictionalised version of a historical event ' and decided to make it into a film. My film's backdrop is different. No one can claim rights over a real-life incident, saying, 'I wrote the story'. It's very childish to do so, as anyone can make a film on a historical event.'
Bala claimed that he was deeply hurt after reading Bharathirajaa's interview in a magazine, where the veteran director had been quoted as saying, 'I hope Bala will not eat from the plate that I have eaten from'.
Bala alleged that writer Rathna Kumar is the brainchild behind all the allegations against him and is the reason for the clash between the two directors. 'Rathna Kumar had once met me during the time of Pithamagan and spoke ill about Bharathirajaa. In fact, he even asked me once to direct Kutraparambarai, saying that Bharathirajaa is not capable of doing so. This person is now creating problems between the two of us.' He added that Rathna Kumar has been making several allegations against him in all of his interviews, and that is why he decided that he shouldn't keep quiet anymore.
'Recently, I even tried calling Bharathirajaa to sort this problem out by explaining that my project has no connection with his. But Bharathirajaa didn't bother to even attend my call for courtesy sake,' Bala said.
He also revealed that producer G Dhananjayan, who was also present in the press meet, had tried his best to solve this issue, but his effort went in vain. 'I also tried calling director Vikraman (the president of the Tamil Nadu Film Directors Association), and RK Selvamani. I clearly told them that I won't keep quiet anymore, as I have forgiven them more than four times. From now on, if Bharathirajaa and Rathnakumar talk ill about me again, it is definitely not going to be good for them,' he warned.
Dhananjayan said, 'I tried to convince Bharathirajaa that Bala's story was different from his, but I couldn't. I even asked him to invite Bala for the puja of his film as he was ready to come. But Bharathirajaa refused to call him saying that it might create unnecessary friction at the event.'
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA