Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Ram Gopal Varma geared up for third part of 'Sarkar' saga

Filmaker Ram Gopal Varma, also known as RGV, is all set for the t... Read More
Filmaker Ram Gopal Varma, also known as RGV, is all set for the third part of his 'Sarkar' saga featuring megastar Amitabh

Bachchan

in the lead. Varma, who shifted to Hyderabad and made slew of Telugu films, is back here and is set to storm the box- office with 'Sarkar' franchise.

Excerpts from the interview:

Q. Why 'Sarkar 3' at this stage of your career?
A. The point of continuing any franchise is only when the characters create an impact and Mr. Bachchan did that so powerfully in 'Sarkar'. Amitji and I were discussing ideas on how we should make 'Sarkar 3' since a few years and we both were clear that we won't attempt it unless we are extremely sure we can (give) better (than) what has been already done in 'Sarkar' in 2005 and '

Sarkar Raj

' in 2008. So to get the absolutely right content was the reason for the delay.


Q. How different would he be in 'Sarkar 3'?
A. The last time I saw Amitji in an angry man's role was only in 'Sarkar' 10 years ago and I designed that character from the angry image he derived from his portrayal in iconic films like 'Zanjeer', 'Deewar' and 'Bemisal'. In 'Sarkar' my ambition is to portray him as being angrier than ever and that of course for highly valid reasons.

Q. How do you plan to present him to ensure a uniqueness and novelty in looks and emotions?
A. More than anything else, his character will have a very powerful screen presence along with his trademark intimidating stares, shriveling scowls and highly memorable one-liners, which is the tradition of 'Sarkar'.

Q. Tell us about 'Sarkar 3' plot. How would it move forward from second part of 'Sarkar'?
A. It's too early to reveal the plot of "Sarkar 3" but it will be much bigger in its scale and scope than the earlier two 'Sarkar' films.

Q. Who else have you cast in the film?
A. There are a lot of characters in the film and the cast details will be shared soon.

Q. What do you feel about the changes in the Hindi film industry during the last few years while you were busy in Hyderabad?
A. Changes happen every Friday and they will keep happening and people will keep adapting to the changes and as long as people keep adapting changes won't matter.

Q. A lot of studios and corporate houses are apparently shutting down in Bollywood. Do you see a crisis looming in the Hindi film industry?
A. I have been hearing about film industry's crises ever since I first came into the industry, but the number of films being made kept on going up irrespective of the crises. Afterall, this exaggerated hullabaloo about various corporates shutting down, my prediction is that there will be more number of films made now compared to last year.

01:56


Celebs who have received death threats
Pakistani singer Tahir Shah, who became an internet sensation with his song Angel, has left Pakistan after receiving death threats, his agent said on Wednesday . Shah rose to fame when his debut single Eye To Eye went viral in 2013, and he followed it up with another song, Angel. According to his agent, Shah had been receiving death threats for a while now, and that's why he left Karachi earlier this week.
An anonymous phone caller has threatened to kill Bollywood superstar Salman Khan, prompting the Mumbai Police to launch a probe, an official said. The phone call was made to the city's Police Control Room on February 16. They suspected it was a hoax call and launched a probe though no case has been filed yet. However, Police has managed to locate the place from where the call was made.
Angry Indian Goddesses director Pan Nalin is said to have been receiving threatening calls and messages since the release day as some groups found the content inappropriate for certain sections of the society.
Kannada litterateur Girish Karnad has received death threats for demanding renaming of the Kempegowda International airport after Tipu Sultan. Bengaluru police also received a complaint against the writer for "insulting Hindus and the Vokkaliga community (Kempegowda belonged to it) and disrupting social harmony". Following the controversy, Girish Karnad has issued a public apology: "If anybody has been hurt by my remarks, I apologize.... What will I gain by giving such comments?"
Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar recently received death threats over the phone from a man, who claims to be fugitive gangster Ravi Pujari, police said on Saturday.
The Faridabad police on Saturday arrested an uncle and cousin of upcoming actress Nikunj Malik over allegations that they harassed her mother and threatened to kill her family if she did not quit the entertainment industry.
Bollywood playback singer Sonu Nigam recently informed police that he has been threatened by the underworld to cancel his deal with an event management company and sign up with another.
Bollywood producer Boney Kapoor reportedly received death threats over the phone from an unidentified person, suspected to be linked to underworld don Ravi Pujari's gang.
In 2011, an unidentified person reportedly called and threatened Ayesha Takia. reportedly called and threatened. In 2011, an unidentified person reportedly called and threatened Ayesha Takia. Her husband Farhan Azmi filed a complaint with the crime branch against the culprit who also threatened to kill him.
Pop singer Britney Spears refused to take her sons on tour to Russia in 2010 after she received a series of death threats by e-mail.

Stay updated with the latest entertainment news on Times of India. Catch the Pushpa 2 review and updates on its box office collections for day 2 and day 3.

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information