This story is from August 28, 2010

I'm an onlooker in the case: Babul

Sunanda Mitra's 'Ogo Bodhu Sundori' will release after the film is re-shot to replace the three controversial songs scored by Bappi Lahiri
I'm an onlooker in the case: Babul
Sunanda Mitra's `70 lac budget film, 'Ogo Bodhu Sundori', didn't release this Friday. Not just that, portions of the film will be re-shot to replace the three controversial songs. This will lead to an additional expense of `10 lac, apart from the losses incurred due to wastage of money on the film's promotion and publicity.
Mitra's decision to shoot afresh came after the Court's hearing on Friday.
1x1 polls
'I'm immensely indebted to my presenter and distributor, Goutam Kundu, and producer James D'Silva for lending me the support to re-shoot the songs now. I've already written the lyrics of one of the songs on Thursday evening. It goes like: 'Bodhu amar buddhimoti/sundori ar pobitro/moner konae jene rekho jotil noe choritro'.' But why did Mitra pen a song on Thursday evening since he was still fighting the case in Court? To this, Mitra says, 'We were prepared. We will change the logo and shoot the songs. This has been a learning experience. Henceforth, I'll not trust anyone irrespective of his age, designation or establishment. I'll crosscheck everything with thorough professionals. I was told that Shovan Saha has the rights to assign me the music. But it's only now that this right has been contested in Court by Kamal Bansal. I don't want my labour of love to be sandwiched in others' battles. We aren't thieves.'
Babul Supriyo, who plays the lead in the film, is rattled with the recent turn of events. 'I'm an onlooker in this case. Yet, I have been at the receiving end as far as comments related to copyright of songs is concerned. I've sung songs that haven't been stolen. The songs were assigned to the film's producers by the music label head, Shovan Saha. He had also released the music for Uttam Kumar's 'Ogo Bodhu Sundori'. Whether Saha had the capacity to allow the producers to use the songs in their film is what the Court is deciding. Had we known that, we would have stayed out of all controversies. After all, how long does it take to score new songs?' Supriyo asks.
Though the singer-cum-actor had earlier said that it's not his business to find out whether a number that he sings has all the copyright or not, he will be more careful in future while singing remakes. 'I still feel that it's not a singer's business to check copyright issues while singing for any producer or composer. But there's no harm in being careful. I don't want to be wasting my time on a project that gets tangled in legal hassles. Henceforth, even for my singing assignments, I'll be much more careful.' Incidentally, Mitra has asked Surpiyo to score the music. 'Yes, I've been asked to compose these three songs. But I am not too sure about it as yet. Honestly speaking, I am not too ambitious as a music director,' Supriyo signs off.
Follow us on Twitter for more stories
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA