This story is from April 23, 2019
For muhurat, Pragya Thakur files nomination a day early
BHOPAL: Pragya Singh Thakur quietly filed her nomination papers as BJP candidate for Bhopal
She said she did so because of a ‘
Pragya — who was handed two EC notices on Saturday for controversial remarks on 26/11 martyr Hemant Karkare and the Babri Masjid demolition — was accompanied by three lawyers and BJP leaders Umashankar Gupta and sitting MP Alok Sanjar to file her nomination. Eleven priests chanted mantras outside the collectorate as she submitted her papers.
“I have filed my nomination papers as per the ‘muhurat’. I will file the remaining papers and B-form tomorrow in the presence of BJP leaders. We will hold a rally in the city after that,” Pragya told reporters after breaking her ‘Maun Vrat’ at 1.50pm.
BJP has planned a grand procession on Tuesday, led by former CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan, for Pragya to file her B-Form (proof that is fielded by a political party). A large number of sadhus and religious heads from different Hindu sects are likely to participate in the rally to show their support for Thakur. After that, she will kick off her official campaign.
Due to her poor health, she found it very difficult to climb the stairs to the returning officer’s chamber, she said. “I would request the district collector to come down to accept my papers tomorrow as I could hardly climb the steep and narrow stairs today with the help of two assistants. The Election Commission does not allow four persons to enter the office due to model code of conduct,” she said.
The 48-year-old is pitted against Congress heavyweight Digvijiya Singh, who says he is contesting on development agenda alone and released a ‘vision’ for Bhopal on Sunday. After filing her nomination, Pragya visited Govindpura and again narrated before party workers the “torture” she underwent while in custody in the Malegaon blast case.
“My Congress rival says he does not believe in Hindutva. What I suffered should never come to any other woman in the state. I will dedicate my life to development of Bhopal,” said Pragya.
Pragya has been attacked by political rivals from across the country for her remarks. Earlier in the day, BSP supremo Mayawati hit out at Election Commission for not cancelling Pragya’s nomination over her remarks on Babri Masjid. “BJP candidate from Bhopal and Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya claims that she is fighting a ‘crusade’ (Dharm Yuddh). This is the real face of BJP and RSS, which is constantly being exposed. But why is the Election Commission only issuing notices and not cancelling Thakur’s candidature?” Mayawati tweeted.
Lok Sabha
seat on Monday as priests chanted mantras outside. It surprised many in the party, not only because she was scheduled to file her papers on March 23, the last date for nominations, but also because she did it while observing ‘maunvrat’ (vow of silence) till 2pm on Monday.shubh muhurat
’. On Tuesday, she will lead a grand procession to submit her B-form.Pragya — who was handed two EC notices on Saturday for controversial remarks on 26/11 martyr Hemant Karkare and the Babri Masjid demolition — was accompanied by three lawyers and BJP leaders Umashankar Gupta and sitting MP Alok Sanjar to file her nomination. Eleven priests chanted mantras outside the collectorate as she submitted her papers.
“I have filed my nomination papers as per the ‘muhurat’. I will file the remaining papers and B-form tomorrow in the presence of BJP leaders. We will hold a rally in the city after that,” Pragya told reporters after breaking her ‘Maun Vrat’ at 1.50pm.
BJP has planned a grand procession on Tuesday, led by former CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan, for Pragya to file her B-Form (proof that is fielded by a political party). A large number of sadhus and religious heads from different Hindu sects are likely to participate in the rally to show their support for Thakur. After that, she will kick off her official campaign.
Due to her poor health, she found it very difficult to climb the stairs to the returning officer’s chamber, she said. “I would request the district collector to come down to accept my papers tomorrow as I could hardly climb the steep and narrow stairs today with the help of two assistants. The Election Commission does not allow four persons to enter the office due to model code of conduct,” she said.
The 48-year-old is pitted against Congress heavyweight Digvijiya Singh, who says he is contesting on development agenda alone and released a ‘vision’ for Bhopal on Sunday. After filing her nomination, Pragya visited Govindpura and again narrated before party workers the “torture” she underwent while in custody in the Malegaon blast case.
Pragya has been attacked by political rivals from across the country for her remarks. Earlier in the day, BSP supremo Mayawati hit out at Election Commission for not cancelling Pragya’s nomination over her remarks on Babri Masjid. “BJP candidate from Bhopal and Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya claims that she is fighting a ‘crusade’ (Dharm Yuddh). This is the real face of BJP and RSS, which is constantly being exposed. But why is the Election Commission only issuing notices and not cancelling Thakur’s candidature?” Mayawati tweeted.
Popular from Business
- Zepto expands cafe service to major cities; eyes Rs 1,000 cr revenue run-rate by 2026
- RCEP of little use to India, China to gain: Think tank
- RBI aims to launch cloud services in 2025 to counter global dominance: Report
- Government plans 100% FDI, eased rules for agents in insurance bill tweak
- Tatas to buy stake in Apple partner Pegatron's India business
end of article
Trending Stories
- Will banks open only for 5 days a week? Here’s what you should know about IBA’s proposal
- India set to be third largest economy, says S&P Global
- Dalal Street bull run continues! BSE Sensex crosses 69,000 for the first time; Nifty above 20,800
- Byju’s reduces notice period for employees as troubles mount
03:08 Sensex surges over 900 points, Nifty above 20,550 as BJP state election wins bolster Modi's Lok Sabha 2024 prospects- UltraTech to buy building materials business of Kesoram in 7,600 crore deal
- Tata Technologies stock debuts at a bumper 140% premium; share price at Rs 1200 on BSE
Visual Stories
- NEET UG 2024 result awaited: Top 10 NIRF-ranked medical colleges of India
- 7 New Expected Bullet Train Routes in India
- 10 Upcoming High-Speed Expressways That Will Change Highway Travel In India
- 8 Transformational Indian Railways Projects You Shouldn’t Miss
- Why Sensex, Nifty50 Hit New Highs, M-Cap At $5 Trillion: Top Reasons
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment